Multi-Purpose UQs

I'm looking for a multi-use underquilt. Something I can use as a trail blanket / woobie as well.

I noticed the multi purpose units tend to only run shock cords on the end width wise, not length wise. Where from what I can tell most UQs do both. Will quilt hooks help with that? Looking at the Helikon Swagman or maybe even the Kifaru Woobie and channel the ends. It'll be my first UQ

Quote Originally Posted by Yubbers View Post
    I'm looking for a multi-use underquilt. Something I can use as a trail blanket / woobie as well.
    Jacks 'R Better may have what you need. For instance, my Hudson River quilt is mostly used as a top quilt with a cinched footbox, but it can also function as an underquilt by adding their hanging kit which is mostly just shock cord and 'biners. They also have wearable quilts.

https://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I use the JRB Old Rag as both a TQ, UQ, and for my ground set up. Been happy with it in any of the configuration. I also use their UQ hang kit. It did take some adjustment to get a solid fit as UQ but once I did, it was toasty.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use two Flickers from Feathered Friends. One 20 as UQ, and a 40 at TQ (and a big 0 if that's not enough). They're full length zippered hoodless bags with a drawstring-cinched footbox, and unzip to make a flat quilt. They have small loops to attach as an UQ with a little fiddling and it works for me but the UQ function was mostly an afterthought. Could definitely look more durable but it hasn't been a problem yet. Feathered Friends says I can reinforce the loops but the warranty won't cover that part if I do (or they can repair it for a small fee but modding seems the better option). Apart from being potentially not the most durable UQ it works well for me. I also wanted a multi-purpose underquilt, and I've used the Flickers as sleeping bags and quilts many times and they definitely work well for that. If I had to do it again, maybe I would pick a UQ-specific quilt for the extra durability and more purpose-built suspension options. However, for a multipurpose quilt the quality of materials (untreated 950 down) and craftsmanship is everything you'd expect for the price you pay.

Thanks guys. I was eyeballing the Shenandoah Quilt from Jacks. I guess based on the suspension kit....it's again just channeled ends on the width not length?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Yubbers View Post
    Thanks guys. I was eyeballing the Shenandoah Quilt from Jacks. I guess based on the suspension kit....it's again just channeled ends on the width not length?
    Hi! You are correct the suspension for the Shenandoah is an end suspension. For full length quilts all you need is an end suspension. Lengthwise channel suspensions are necessary on partial length quilts to allow the quilt to be positioned appropriately. On a full length quilt its weight can cause it to sliding towards the center along lengthwise channel suspension and create an air gap, this necessitates the use of an end suspension also(often referred to as a secondary suspension) to prevent the sliding. Since full length quilts do not need the level of adjustment a partial length does omitting the lengthwise channel suspension reduces weight and complexity.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

I like multipurpose items, but prefer to keep my sleeping insulation separate from my worn insulation, especially with down, which I prefer. If I get compromised during the day, I want to know that I can crawl into dry warm insulation to recover. If you really need extra insulation during the day, you can always use your UQ or TQ as a cloak or great coat. For me, only in an emergency.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I have a Hudson quilt from Jack's... It works perfect as my under quilt on my Ridge runner and I can always use it as a top quilt with this velcro and snap foot box

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts