Thread: Hammock set up

Hammock set up

Hello i am new to hammock camping have been gathering gear for awhile to start i have a grand trunk double hammock trying it out in back yard i have posts about 12 feet apart eye hooks at 6 ft i have seen listed that my hammock is 10 ft 5 inches 83%of that witch make ridge line around 103 inches and having trouble getting good comfortable lay the ridge line is to loose to make ridge line taught its about 92 inches but when i lay in it the outside edges of my hammock are real loose and floppy any suggestions would be great thanks

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SHOTGUN, Welcome to the forum. I’m not familiar with that hammock so to be clear, are you saying it comes with a ridge line and that ridge line is about (all hammock measurements are “about”) 83% of total hammock length? If so, that’s a great starting point.

According to the hammock calculator found here: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    At 12 ft apart, your vertical connection should be about 6 ft, giving you a distance of about 18 inches off the ground or about chair height.

Are you lying in the hammock diagonally? Note that the outside edges WON’T be tight, there will be some floppiness. However, with the diagonal position, your head/shoulders will be very near one edge of the hammock and your feet (or one leg) will be very near the opposite side. There will probably be some tightness there, but the rest could be a little floppy.

Floppy isn’t important. Comfort is important. How does it feel?

If you read the many, many, many, many, posts in this forum you’ll see that most people keep the foot end of the hammock a bit higher than the head end. That’s because the hammock material can be a little slippery and having the foot end six to eight inches higher reduces the tendency of the body to slide down into a pool at the foot end. With that little adjustment you will still be level; it is not like on the ground were feet high has the blood rushing towards your head.

The focus should be on comfort, not non-floppy. When a vendor describes a hammock as a “double”, that does not mean “two people” - unless they hate each other or plan to hate each other. It means the hammock is wider than other hammocks that vendor sells. And what does Wider mean - it means more material - floppy material - along the sides.

So it sounds like it is setup and acting as it should. Again, how comfortable is it. There are all kinds of posts in this forum, and YouTube videos, concerning tweaks you can make to “dial in” that comfort level.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-18-2020 at 19:09.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

OK thanks for the info it feels good its just weird to have all that fabric lay over like it does ill just get use to it until i can get a better hammock and i do have the foot end one notch higher on the daisy chain type suspension i am using i might try moving it one more to see if it feels better i am laying diagonally and i added the ridge line

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Never owned a hammock with an integrated bugnet but I have several hammocks of varying widths that I made myself and I use a bottom entry net (Fronkey style bugnet) with them. This has allowed me to test out what works and doesn't work for me. I highly recommend making your own gathered end hammock, since it's really easy to do and a lot cheaper (like $17-30ish depending on what material you use).

If you want to go that route and extra flap is a problem for you, try 1.6oz HyperD fabric. The finished width doesn't leave much to flap about. Alternatively you could also make what is referred to as a Knotty modded hammock, named after a forum member. It's basically a small strip of elastic or shock cord that pulls up extra fabric to reduce that floppiness and make a sort of foot box.

When I started I felt very unstable on the hammock because it seemed like the only part supporting me was the ridgeline (calf ridge not the thing above the hammock). I've since discovered this can be reduced by flipping the hammock "upside down" and that seemed to solve the problem for the most part. Still floppy, but it didn't feel like I was hanging on to the center of the hammock for dear life.

Now floppiness just feels like room I have to spread out in. Also wearing a hoody had been really nice to keep the extra fabric from brushing my face. Sometimes if I feel like sleeping in I'll let that fabric cover my eyes.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Grand Trunk was my first hammock. Fathers day gift. Sounds like you set it right, but you might try adjusting your lay by pulling an end out a few inches. I prefer a tighter ridge line. The loose material is partly due to you hammock being a double. Doubles are wider so they have more material. The 83% is the same, in my experience. It's based on length not width.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    These videos may give insight.
    Double hammocks tend to be pretty wide so there always seems to be some floppy fabric.
    You could try yo add a Knotty Mod.....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...h-Side-Hammock

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts