W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles

how low can you go on top insulation ?

I was surprised to find out that my 40 deg T.Q. with a 20 deg UQ was able to keep me completely warm when the temp dropped down to 20 deg
    what about you guys?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some people ascribe to the idea that you can go with a skimpier topquilt, but I don't. My topquilt is always rated for the same temps as my underquilt.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Some people ascribe to the idea that you can go with a skimpier topquilt, but I don't. My topquilt is always rated for the same temps as my underquilt.
    Same here. I ALWAYS error on the side of comfort and have never spent a cold night in my hammock. I'm sure one could go quite low without dying but where's the fun in that.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’ve read some lore that advocated a warmer UQ for GE hammocks and warmer TQ for Bridge Hammocks. I like my GE quilts have a 10 degree cushion between their rating and night temps. Like 20 degree quilt for 30 degree weather. If I had to mix and match, I’d opt for the warmer UQ. I can always bring warmer jammies - light down “sleeping jacket”, etc.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    I would never skimp on UQ but can easily skimp on TQ if you wear some/most of your camp clothes (pants, jacket, hat, gloves, etc) to sleep in.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I would never skimp on UQ but can easily skimp on TQ if you wear some/most of your camp clothes (pants, jacket, hat, gloves, etc) to sleep in.

This ^^^^^^^

I mix and match the quilts all the time, using a warmer UQ and lighter TQ. There are no hard rules. If you sleep warm and like less on top of you, no reason not to do that. I've done 0/20 and 20/40 many times.

Not sure I would opt for a 20/40 combo if temps were expected to be at or near 20. But if you're caught out you could manage it.

That said, I push both my UQ/TQ ratings pretty far. My camp clothes include down pants, jacket and hat which add a good amount of insulation topsides, so lower temp rating on the TQ is easy to manage. And keep me decadently warm around camp. In winter, Montbel Tec Down pants are my luxury item.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sleep extremely cold, but I made the same observation: I need way more insulation on the bottom than on the top. I use a 0° underquilt with a 20° sleeping bag. I tried a 10° sleeping bag but overheated too often. The 20° sleeping bag works perfectly most of the time; and in the very few situations I need more warmth, it's easy to supplement. I don't skimp on insulation, but I find it more difficult to vent top insulation than to add to it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Seems obvious to us but I've seen people shivering in their sleeping bags and it did not occur to them, until I mentioned it, to put on other available layers. For some reason people think a down parka is not for sleeping.

I've been in the use-everything-you've-got camp for a long, long time. Saves a bunch of weight and volume.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I can go down to the mid 20's comfortably withy my 20 deg. Wilderness Logics tq and 0 degree Wookie uq. The Wookie reflects a ton of heat so top can go further for me. Usually sleep in only boxers at those temps. Had to vent the Wookie on a 45 degree morning last week and when I pulled it back under the hot spots were still quite warm so makes the tq more versatile.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use 40/20 insulation kits. I've never been cold anywhere but from the bottom when the temps dip or the winds pick up.

Into December and January I hang in deer camps and sleep comfortably into the low teens, by nesting the two 20 degree UQs I have. One is an HG 2/3 length clone, the other a 3/4 Lewis. I have to supplement socks, and base layers with a hat and fleece top, but don't need to swap out my 40 degree TQ. HYOH
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast