Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howardny View Post
    I ended up having a super nice hang in Harriman - much bigger than I remember. had some bears and rattle snakes come through the camp but otherwise very chill. I went on the AT and camped near the William Brien shelter. Few other people on the AT camped out near by and was pretty nice. would recommend.
    Yep, Brien shelter area is very popular and you are rarely alone in the summer and certainly not on a weekend. On one occasion last year MikekiM and I were passing thru on a summer weekend and there must've been 25 separate camps in that area, maybe more.

Seems there are more and more bear sightings in Harriman these days. This year alone I've had 3 myself and there have been several years in the past with zero. They really won't bother you. The first one this year was a fairly large male right on the trail near Lake Nawahunta and he had no interest in me. He was browsing along the trail and ran a bit when he saw me, then apparently thought "What the heck?" and continued munching on something as he ambled along the trail. Eventually, around a bend, he silently slipped into the woods and was gone, just like that. I scanned and watched my backside as I continued out but did not see him again. Somebody told me he's been raiding the dumpsters at Silvermine Lake.

I did a day hike with a neighbor of mine yesterday and there were signs up in the Bald Rocks area that the shelter and surrounding area are closed for camping due to problem bear activity. A couple of years ago the park folks installed a bear-proof food hang (cable) at Fingerboard shelter because of a bear problem there that was getting pretty bad.

I'm definitely going to be more diligent about my food hangs than I've been in the past.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Another vote for the Harriman for any quick overnighter.

The parking circle at Jamestown Road, is one of the worst parking spots.

I have never been locked out of Skannatati and Silvermine Lake.

Bears, rattlers and coyotes are fairly common. None want anything to do with you. Bears will likely hear you long before you cross paths and are gone in a silent flash. You'll never know they were there.

Rattlers... a bit less recluse. They are common and you best watch where you put your hands and feet.

Here are a few rattlers I have come across in Harriman....
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGWL4v1i434J76146
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hey so Summer 2018 I did a solo overnight-er on the Appalachian trail in CT about 800ft from the NY Border. Its a great strech of trail from their to Kent, CT you could do it in about 24 hours with sleep in the middle or 2 days at a nice leisurely pace.

I set my pace way to fast and was beat when i got to my camp site literally 30 minutes before dark. ( I was not ready for 3 mountains in 8 hours lol)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    Hey so Summer 2018 I did a solo overnight-er on the Appalachian trail in CT about 800ft from the NY Border. Its a great strech of trail from their to Kent, CT you could do it in about 24 hours with sleep in the middle or 2 days at a nice leisurely pace.

I set my pace way to fast and was beat when i got to my camp site literally 30 minutes before dark. ( I was not ready for 3 mountains in 8 hours lol)
    I recently did an overnighter from Pawling to Kent and camped at Schaghticoke campsite, which is on the north side of Schaghticoke about 2.8mi before Algo shelter. I had no idea it was there, just a lucky find. Had it to myself (there are 4 campsites—all good for hanging—a pit privy and a bear box), and it had to have been better than Algo which is so close to the road (0.3 mi!) that it must attract a lot of car campers this time of year. I hiked by Algo the following morning and it looked as if it was quite crowded.

Schaghticoke climb from the Housatonic is tougher than it looks on a map, coming as it does around 13.5mi into the hike.

View from near top of Shaggy... was feelin' kinda Ansel Adams-y so B&W

Last edited by cmoulder; 06-23-2020 at 10:40.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Just did a 7 mile day trip here at harriman today
    Was hot not much water anywhere
    And saw a bear and a rattler
    https://youtu.be/dLCmtomeLh8