Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New to Hammocks - Question about Thoughts and Alternatives to the SMR Stratos Floor

Good afternoon all,

I, as many before me, am beginning my journey into hammock camping. I have viewed countless threads and videos here about various hammocks - their pros, cons, etc. It has become a bit of an obsession. I ran across a thread here regarding pitching a hammock on the ground for a poster that was only able to do bivy camping. This spurred me to ask the looming question that I haven't been able to answer in all my searching. I find myself interested in the modularity of the Sierra Madre Research (SMR) Stratos ... particularly the rain fly and the floor (for those curious: https://sierramadreresearch.com/products/stratos-floor).

I have been looking high and low for videos and posts about this particular unit and for other manufacturers that may have some sort of option similar to this. I am yet to find one. Perhaps I don't know enough of the lingo to find what I am looking for. I plan on camping and backpacking in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho in the next month. I'd really like to hammock camp the majority of this trip. At least two nights I will not be able to hang due to the low number of trees in the campgrounds we booked (they are above the tree line). I found myself exploring ways to still keep my pack light (aka not pack a tent AND a hammock + underquilt .. if possible). The SMR Stratos floor is the only one I have seen despite several days of looking for similar or alternative systems (aside from laying my hammock directly on the ground or on top of a tarp (which would be about the same weight as packing my backpacking tent).

• Does anyone know of anything similar to this system?
    • Are there other options I am not aware of that would provide me this type of versatility?
    • Has anyone purchased the Stratos floor and has a video or other review as to how well it worked for them?

I am really looking for any information that may help me make the decision on if this worth the investment. SMR is running a Father's Day sale starting tomorrow that includes the stratos floor (It will be reduced 25%). I am okay piecemeal-ing some gear together (i.e., I don't need everything to be the same brand/manufacturer) but it seems the Stratos floor and the fly from SMR could be two pieces that need to come from the same manufacturer if I am interested in the conversion from hammock to tent function. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you all for all your help (I've been lurking for a while before I signed up).
    Last edited by PoliteMeow; 06-17-2020 at 13:19.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    You need to look up Cajunracer here on the forum, he is a SMR rep and can tell you what you need to know!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I will see if I can find Cajunracer.

I am originally from KY (Beattyville), hope London is treating you well.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliteMeow View Post
    Thank you so much! I will see if I can find Cajunracer.

I am originally from KY (Beattyville), hope London is treating you well.
    London is wonderful as always, if not a little slow!
    It's always great to find another Kentuckian!! Where did you end up?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are ways to ground pitch your hammock with no problem.
    The Amok Draumr and the Haven Hammock Tent are easily done and both hammocks depend on a pad for shape anyways.
    But it can be done with almost any hammock.
    Shug

HAVEN

AMOK DRAUMR

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I owned a SMR hammock a while back With the Nubè shelter. It was a quality system but the hammock material had a bit too much stretch in it for me and the shelter was more enclosed than I liked. My wife loved it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    London is wonderful as always, if not a little slow!
    It's always great to find another Kentuckian!! Where did you end up?
    I am in Eastern NC just between Fayetteville and Raleigh. Came down here to do my PhD and ended up loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falarny View Post
    I owned a SMR hammock a while back With the Nubè shelter. It was a quality system but the hammock material had a bit too much stretch in it for me and the shelter was more enclosed than I liked. My wife loved it though.
    Out of curiosity, about how much stretch did you find the Nube had?

I am considering several hammocks but the SMR Paras with a ridgeline is in the list of considerations. I believe it has the same fabric as the Nube (but I may be mistaken as I’m not looking at the specs rn). I saw a couple videos with the Ninox flatlay where people noted there was a significant sag in the night but that it didn’t seem to interrupt their lay. Thanks again for the reply! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    There are ways to ground pitch your hammock with no problem.
    The Amok Draumr and the Haven Hammock Tent are easily done and both hammocks depend on a pad for shape anyways.
    But it can be done with almost any hammock.
    Shug
    Thank you thank you thank you. This is so helpful!

In your opinion, would it be challenging to retain heat in this sort of configuration? The weather is expected to be mid 30’s at night. I wasn’t sure if the ground setup had any tips or tricks to keep some insulation since my normal under quilt would be squished flat and rendered less effective. I planned on using my issued mummy bag for those nights and hoping for the best but I’d love any advice on these ground setups. Again, thank you so much!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliteMeow View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you. This is so helpful!

In your opinion, would it be challenging to retain heat in this sort of configuration? The weather is expected to be mid 30’s at night. I wasn’t sure if the ground setup had any tips or tricks to keep some insulation since my normal under quilt would be squished flat and rendered less effective. I planned on using my issued mummy bag for those nights and hoping for the best but I’d love any advice on these ground setups. Again, thank you so much!
    No, they both use pads and you could augment with a closed cell pad or any kind of pad under the pad supplied for the Amok or the Haven or just carry a pad for any hammock you would use. You could still lay on your UQ on the pad in the hammock and still get some insulation much like laying on a sleeping bag.
    I'd test it out though prior to the trip.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast