Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I have found my Gathered end hammock to be too stretchy.. would

would lengthing my ridgeline make it a bit stiffer? or would it create less of a flat lay and more 'under the knee' discomfort? I dont really want to mess with the stock ridgeline unless it would actually be a good idea. Thanx

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    If the material is too stretchy, you need a material that does not have as much give, what type of fabric is it?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've gone to Mountain 1.7 from Ripstopbytheroll to get rid of the stretching. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

lengthening the structural ridge line will likely make it feel more stretchy, as it would put more tension on the hammock fabric, thus making it stretch more under your weight. the problem might be something else, not stretch, though, hard to guess. try measuring the ridge line and the hammock body between the same points as the ridge line, it would give us an idea if the ridge line might need some adjustment
    Last edited by nanok; 06-16-2020 at 12:24. Reason: typo

My hammock is too stretchy also. It hasn't bothered me sleeping. I just have to hang it a little higher so that I'm not too close to the ground in the morning. I haven't woken up on the ground yet, but when I sit up to get out of the hammock my knees have been bent enough that I need to take a step or two backwards in order to stand up from the hammock in the morning.

If I think of it (often I don't) I'll tighten the straps in the early morning when I get up to 'water a tree' before getting back into the hammock for a few more hours of sleep.

I assume that the stretchiness of my hammock is just a negative byproduct of buying a cheap amazon hammock. But since I sleep great in it, it's a minor issue for me.

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    On one hand, yes, lengthening the ridgeline will create a less stretchy hammock. On the other hand, that effect will be achieved by putting more stress on the fabric. If the fabric is stretchy, this will mean that it will be stretched closer to the point where it cannot give any more. Depending on how much stretch it has, this can feel like a narrow bathtub. So if the fabric has just a little bit too much stretch, you might be able to fix it with a longer ridgeline. But it's likely that you'll have to switch to the next higher D fabric to get really comfortable.

By the way - the longer the ridgeline, the flatter the lay. But you'll have to move more and more inline. For me, the sweet spot is most often between 88% and 90% of the usable hammock length. I have switched almost exclusively to 70D, though. It might be different with lighter or heavier fabrics.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    I dont really want to mess with the stock ridgeline unless it would actually be a good idea. Thanx
    If the hammock has an integrated net (and not a bug sock), you shouldn't mess with the ridgeline at all. A longer or shorter ridgeline than the net was designed for can damage the net and/or the zippers.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’m using the 1.6 hexon and I love it. It has a firm lay with just enough give to that it’s not stiff. Love the feel of the fabric too. I’ve kept the ‘stock’ ridgeline and it works for me.
    I’ve been in a stretchy hammock and get exactly what you mean. Changing up the fabric did it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If the hammock has an integrated net (and not a bug sock), you shouldn't mess with the ridgeline at all. A longer or shorter ridgeline than the net was designed for can damage the net and/or the zippers.
    I have gone to using whoopie adjustable ridge lines. After much experimenting I have found the sweet spot for me is having a longer than OEM ridge line. My net and top still work with the WBBB XLC. However, I can not use the net or top with the DH Sparrow for my sweet spot. I have thought about getting a custom net/top from DH, but my work around is to simply shorten the whoopie ridge line if I need to use the net/top. We wil see how the SLD Trail Lair stacks up when it gets here.

I go for the Hex2.2? and the Trail Lair will be MTN 1.7. I opt for the stronger fabrics and DLs for most uses and find them plenty comfortable, even as a nightly hammock user.

• + New Posts