Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Alien loops

What is everyone's experience with alien loops?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok_ View Post
    There are threads on this, but they are great. Go buy some and play around. XL for Amsteel, regular RCA for 1.75 or similar cordage. Easy to learn, various methods, find the one that works and you’re all set.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I do not believe even the heaviest duty ones are weight rated to use as the main suspension on a hammock. Using them will probably lead to falling on the ground, so I would not recommend them. That being said, about 2 years ago I switched all my suspensions to Ti and SS loop aliens because it is so easy for me to use. Anywhere I can tie a piece of amsteel, I can hang my hammock, and I also just leave pieces of amsteel attached to my stands to hang any hammock. I tried it on my WBRR and they did not break, though I will never try it again because it seemed a little extra bouncy, like the loop alien was bending? Overall, loop aliens took me a while to get used to them, but after a few times I could tie or untie them in the dark.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I have a couple of the XL’s and could not make them work for hammock suspension for my body weight with amsteel. I tried all the different ways to tie them off on the videos but they slipped.
    I think they’re cool and wished I could make them work, maybe there’s a trick to it that I haven’t discovered?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I do not believe even the heaviest duty ones are weight rated to use as the main suspension on a hammock. Using them will probably lead to falling on the ground, so I would not recommend them. That being said, about 2 years ago I switched all my suspensions to Ti and SS loop aliens because it is so easy for me to use. Anywhere I can tie a piece of amsteel, I can hang my hammock, and I also just leave pieces of amsteel attached to my stands to hang any hammock. I tried it on my WBRR and they did not break, though I will never try it again because it seemed a little extra bouncy, like the loop alien was bending? Overall, loop aliens took me a while to get used to them, but after a few times I could tie or untie them in the dark.

Can't lie... I have hung from the smaller Ti Loop Aliens on Dynaglide CLs. Not something I do these days. It was part of my out and back trip to the far reaches of UL. i do still have them on my AHE Bushman chair.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have hung my hammock many times using the small ti loop aliens. The ones with the open circle. I always made sure there was a soft landing under me, LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Hey BradA72, that is what took me a while to figure out. There are two ways to push the amsteel loop through the big hole in the loop alien, one right and one wrong. I needed to push the amsteel loop through with the tree end of the line closer to the hammock. To lock it, I wrap the loose or tail end around the large and small loop alien holes few times. I always use three and it has never slipped. There are probably better ways, but now I know this method. Here is a video explaining what I use, though I have all my hammocks' continuous loops larksheaded to the middle size hole on my loop aliens.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZ7AR2ZFbE

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    This is going to be for my new tarp suspension. I'm pretty excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Hey BradA72, that is what took me a while to figure out. There are two ways to push the amsteel loop through the big hole in the loop alien, one right and one wrong. I needed to push the amsteel loop through with the tree end of the line closer to the hammock. To lock it, I wrap the loose or tail end around the large and small loop alien holes few times. I always use three and it has never slipped. There are probably better ways, but now I know this method. Here is a video explaining what I use, though I have all my hammocks' continuous loops larksheaded to the middle size hole on my loop aliens.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZ7AR2ZFbE
    Thanks for that video link. I like the looks of that method. Hopefully I'll remember it the next time I'm out. Last weekend (1st time trying the aliens on a trip) I used a method similar to the Method #2 line tensioner in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGD8Ff4Aopg Only thing was since I was going from memory I didn't thread it onto the line. Instead, I placed the alien where I wanted it - med sized hole pointing to the tree. Pulled the guyline through the big hole and looped it over the small hole. Then pulled the line tight and wrapped it between the alien and the guyline that the alien was looped too. It held nicely.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Erok_ View Post
    I like my Loopaliens for my tarp split ridgeline using zingit. They work great and are pretty foolproof even in the dark or bad conditions setting them is easy.

The Turtle ties also look good especially for hammock suspension. https://www.fugal-innovations.com/product/turtle-tie/ I haven't tried them but I have them on the wish list. It's a shame he doesn't make a smaller version for zingit ridgelines and tie outs. A version with a hooked bill could be useful for detachable tie outs?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast