Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ

Question Temperature Ratings

I am looking to get a single set of topquilt/underquilt for 3 season use in the Northeast mostly for trips in the White Mountains and Vermont from April through November. Lows tend to get down to around 30 F, but during the summer months it can be quite a bit warmer. I sleep fairly cool and really don’t like freezing all night, but I’m also conscientious about weight. What is your recommendation for temperature rating? I’m on the fence between a 10 or 20 degree set. Looking at UGQ, Loco Libre. Thanks for any guidance! It’s a big investment.
    Last edited by Slumbering Bear; 06-16-2020 at 18:35.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I find my 20 degree TQ & UQ to be fine May-October, and anything warmer would be too warm most of the time. If I only had one set (and I do!), I'd go with 20 degrees (which I did!). April and November are 4th season to me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first set of quilts were HG's 20* 3/4 Phoenix UQ and full-length Burrow TQ. I used them for about two years in all kinds of weather. However, I'm not a fan of trying to stretch out 20* quilts to accommodate lower temps. One 13* night made me go out and buy 0* quilts. Later, I bought a 40* quilt set, so now I have 40*, 20* and 0* quilts. I've even stacked quilts to get below 0* F.

I pretty much follow the 10* rule: bring quilts that are rated at least 10* lower than the expected low. That rule doesn't always work - for example, I went to a group hang in the Pine Barrens where the Weather Channel and Accuweather said the overnight low would be 18* F. However, when I arrived at 6 pm, it was already 13* F, and it eventually dropped to -3* F! Luckily, we were car camping and I brought an extra set of quilts in case it was colder than the forecast. It was only 21 degrees colder than the forecast!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use a 20 degree uq and a 30 degree tq from about 30 degrees up to 60 degrees. Of course, I'm not all bundled up in the tq at 60 degrees. Also depends on who made your insulation. I sleep cold, but find my tq to be about spot on, as is my uq. I recently ordered a 50 degree tq and uq combo for the warmer times, and will likely get a 0 degree uq and tq for the colder times. As a one set wonder, for me, I think a 30 degree set would work well in your use case, but as I prefer colder weather, it isn't quite warm enough for winter for me.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A 10 degree cushion works for me. If I wanted to cover 30 degrees, I’d use a 20 degree UQ/TQ combo - or at least for the UQ (can always wear warmer jammies). It’s not that I would be always cold with a 30 or 40 degree UQ in 30 degree weather, it’s that I know I won’t be cold when using one rated for 10 degrees colder than expected. A UQP adds additional protection for very little overhead.

Quilts are easy to vent as the weather gets warmer.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I have a 20* underquilt and a compact 32* mummy bag that I use as a liner. As the weather gets warmer, I switch the 32* bag to a 70* bag that compresses to the size of a water bottle. Then as it gets even warmer, I swap out the underquilt and use a flannel windproof picnic blanket (packs a little smaller than the UQ) inside the hammock to prevent CBS. I also have a couple sleeping bag liners that pack really small that I will use on the really hot nights instead of a TQ/bag or add to my 32* bag on the colder trips.

(Note: I've been hammock camping just over a year and I am a warm sleeper)

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thank you for all of your help - I appreciate it!

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Following this as well, because it's a question I always have.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Temperature Ratings

I’m Always surprised when people say a 10° cushion. I take my 30° when it’s around 30°, 20° around 25-17°. I may go a bit lighter on the TQ. (But like what was also said, depends on who made your insulation and how experienced you are setting it up)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Firesong, maybe it’s a Centigrade to Fahrenheit issue?

For me, mostly when the “What would you use?” question is asked, it’s usually by someone with minimal experience (or they would already know what works for them). So I give a conservative answer because I want them to have a good chance at a comfortable experience. For example, I can dip into a glacier fed pool and sit there (for a short while) without my teeth chattering. But I wouldn’t suggest, if someone asked about trail hygiene, that they find such a pool near a glacier and jump in.

So it’s not so much, “What works for me” as it is “What might work for them”.

My experience is people from Canada are a hardy bunch. Lots of memories of good natured humor when I used to compete in FETA Archery tournaments up there. The guys would always be joking with each other about the next - greater than the previous guy - feat they were going to accomplish. Lots of fun.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast