Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I’m Always surprised when people say a 10° cushion. I take my 30° when it’s around 30°, 20° around 25-17°. I may go a bit lighter on the TQ. (But like what was also said, depends on who made your insulation and how experienced you are setting it up)
    Most temp ratings work for me as well. Early May I was out with my 40deg shortie UQ (EE Revolt) and 50deg TQ and did not even know it got down to 34°F overnight until I saw my thermometer in the morning... I was perfectly comfortable all night. Was wearing a light fleece hoodie (MH Microchill) which has become one of my favorite cool-weather clothing items.

If I could have only one set it'd probably be 20deg rating but I'd be wishing every minute that I was carrying lighter stuff when the day temp is 90°F and low is around 70°F. I have 50deg TQ and UQ which together weigh right at 19oz.... they get used a lot this time of year.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    A ten degree buffer is not enough for me personally in the fall and winter times. I sleep cold. Since I live in Florida I have to travel to get somewhere cold and I am not car camping. I have measured an 18°F drop from elevation alone when sleeping a mere 30' lower than the trail by a waterfall down in the holler. The combination of settling cold air, mist from the waterfall, and lack of sunshine made a difference. I realized then that the forecast temps were for ground level and did the best with what I had brought. What was supposed to be around 50°F that night ended up around 34°F with a bone chilling wet draft. I now allow for ten degrees for elevation, wind, and mother nature (bad forecast) each. If it "supposed" to be 30°F then I'm bringing my 0°F set of quilts. I have a set of 20°F UG and 15°F TQ that both my wife and myself have been cold (CBS) in as low as 38°F (shivering at 34°F). Since I went with George's quilts I have not had a cold night aloft.

On a recent 12.5 mile hike with a friend we had yet another temperature adjustment by mother nature. It was supposed to be 42-45°F that night. I had considered bringing my 20/15 quilt set but prudence kept me from doing it. I went to bed in my overstuffed zero set of quilts and was almost too warm immediately. By 6am it was 30°F. That 20/15 set would have made for a miserable night. Every extra ounce from that over rated quilt set was worth every step that I took on that hike at 6am.

PS-During summer and spring I can reliably go with the ten to twenty degree buffer zone in my area.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    While I do have a 0F UQ (a real beast of down), I don't have a 0F TQ.

I have 20F and 40F sets with a 55F synthetic TQ. The 0F/20F set can get me into single digits easily. In cold months I have and wear a down anorak and down pants.. wear them around camp and to sleep. I found them far more versatile, lighter, double duty and less expensive than a dedicated 0F TQ. Add in a Blackrock Gear down beanie & possum down socks and my 20F TQ is extended well below 20F.

If I could have just one set.. the 20F set would be it. I might figure out a way to manage lower temps with a 20F 3/4 UQ just to save some bulk and weight in summer, though I am not a fan of the 'sit-pad-in-the-footbox' strategy. I know it's done often, but I haven't yet perfected it.

With the clothes listed above, I have had the 20F set into the low teens quite a few times.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post

On a recent 12.5 mile hike with a friend we had yet another temperature adjustment by mother nature. It was supposed to be 42-45°F that night. I had considered bringing my 20/15 quilt set but prudence kept me from doing it. I went to bed in my overstuffed zero set of quilts and was almost too warm immediately. By 6am it was 30°F. That 20/15 set would have made for a miserable night. Every extra ounce from that over rated quilt set was worth every step that I took on that hike at 6am.
    I understand that every situation is different but if I purchased a quilt rated by the manufacturer at 15F and I knew I would be miserably cold at 30F I would find a different manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Most temp ratings work for me as well. Early May I was out with my 40deg shortie UQ (EE Revolt) and 50deg TQ and did not even know it got down to 34°F overnight until I saw my thermometer in the morning... I was perfectly comfortable all night. Was wearing a light fleece hoodie (MH Microchill) which has become one of my favorite cool-weather clothing items.

If I could have only one set it'd probably be 20deg rating but I'd be wishing every minute that I was carrying lighter stuff when the day temp is 90°F and low is around 70°F. I have 50deg TQ and UQ which together weigh right at 19oz.... they get used a lot this time of year.
    Who made your 50° set?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Firesong, maybe it’s a Centigrade to Fahrenheit issue?
    Im so used to the C° & F° conversion now .
    Im getting older and not as warm as I used to be. My significant other used to say I was a furnace. Now it's the other way around
    Some of it must be the inexperience with quilt setup, however I still see some regulars saying the same and wonder about that.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    Who made your 50° set?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    They are both EE... TQ is my older Revelation with 10D shell @11.3oz and UQ is Revolt with 7D shell @7.7oz
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    @m00ch --I sleep cold for starters and the blood thinners don't help. The main reason that I have found that the 15° F TQ feels so cold is the lack of a draft collar and no cinch system for the neck. This combination of missing features allows for the warm air to escape as soon as you fall asleep if you move hence why it's a cold TQ. The newer models solved this somewhat but even though the quilt is essentially new it is lacking in design. This manufacturer is no longer in business but not because their products were bad. As a note the 20°F UG has a full AT hike under it's belt (not me) and was purchased used but in usable condition. I think that she is simply ageing and may not have any overfill. They make a great summer set when used in the warmer seasons.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12