Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XLC and Tensa4, help?

Hey everyone,

So i recently got a Blackbird XLC and a Tensa4 for the yard. I am beyond vexed on how to get this thing to lay right and comfortable correctly without touch the ground or hitting a pole.
    I'm 260b 6'3"... should i have gotten a bigger hammock or is the tensa the issue... or I am...

any help is appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    A lot of the issues you are having is with the tens4 setup. The trick is to adjust the ridge line and base of the stand. It requires some tinkering and fine tuning to get it right.

If you are hitting the poles widen the base. For hammock lay adjust the ridge line length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Images
    I don't have it set up at the moment, but I've used that combination quite a bit.

There's a lot of correct ways to set up a hammock on a Tensa, so I'm just saying what I do with mine.

I don't like using adjustable suspension on the Tensa; I let the stand do the adjustment work. However, you do need some suspension on the Tensa with an 11' or shorter hammock. I happened to have a couple very short Amsteel dog bones lying around when I first got the Tensa and used those to hang whatever hammock I was testing it with. I liked the way that worked and have used the dog bones with most of my gathered end hammocks on the stand.

The dog bone loops over the top of a Tensa pole and then I clip a carabiner through both eyes of the dog bone. I do that at each end, and connect the hammock continuous loops to the carabiners to hang it.

Now, the XLC really requires the foot end to be about 16" higher than the head end; and the Tensa is the ideal stand to accomplish that, since the tilt is fully adjustable and basically essential for stable operation. I adjust the stand's foot end guyline to get the proper tilt, and then adjust the stand ridgeline length to get the proper tension in the hammock ridgeline. The only other adjustment is the stand baseline, which will adjust the hammock sit height off the ground and can also affect user clearance around the poles. I'm 6'1" and usually have decent clearance from the poles at both ends.

You didn't mention how you're attaching the hammock to the stand. That can be useful in giving more specific advice. I think I have a pic of the dog bone setup, so you can see how short a suspension I'm using. This is a different hammock but that's trivial to the concept. Come to think of it though, with the XLC I might have clipped in an extra carabiner at the head end of the stand to drop the head end of the hammock another few inches.

Last edited by cmc4free; 06-15-2020 at 21:08.

i finally got some images to upload onto my computer here is is a few setups I have done..
    20200615_201707.jpg20200613_145434.jpg20200613_153524 (1).jpg

So in the photo with the tarp that was last weekend first night setting the whole rig up. I slept it it for about 5 hours till light outside..
    I didnt think it was all that comfortable out side of my Outdoor Vitals 40* Unerquilt with out hooks is slippery, i have a few ways to fix that next setup.
    i felt the lay wasnt quite flat enough.

so i tried another way and could not get it without my but touching the ground.

**EDIT** Just wanted to mention I have a full Tensa4 version 1.0 unboxing video i will be posting after i do some editing tomorrow. Manual says June 2020.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Not necessarily wrong, but unusual is how you have much more suspension length on the head side than the foot. If you equalize, might help?

Since the hammock has its own ridgeline, you can remove the stand ridgeline. Most but not all users prefer the resulting lay with most hammocks at least, and the net effect of wider apexes should be to raise you up some and assure a taut hammock ridgeline.

Also: looks like an 11’ tarp? In this case having some tarp suspension between the extension tips and the tarp itself will let you angle the extensions outward so the tarp isn’t liable to slip off the tips. You shouldn’t need to guy the tips out as you’ve done.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Not necessarily wrong, but unusual is how you have much more suspension length on the head side than the foot. If you equalize, might help?

Since the hammock has its own ridgeline, you can remove the stand ridgeline. Most but not all users prefer the resulting lay with most hammocks at least, and the net effect of wider apexes should be to raise you up some and assure a taut hammock ridgeline.
    thanks ill try that tomorrow, i need to find a different spot in my yard the spot today was a bit sandy xD

20200616_124423.jpg
    Hang right now, it think it's better but I'm still to low...

I used my WBBB with my tensa4 for the first week. I am pretty sure I just looped the foot end CL over the stand, and then used webbing on the head end. That gave me a very good foot to head height and still kept me at a normal sitting height.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    20200616_124423.jpg
    Hang right now, it think it's better but I'm still to low...
    And if you narrow the base to raise up, does that not provide enough head/foot clearance? That's the first remedy. If it leads to clearance problems, then you can also shorten hammock suspension to raise up, up until the point that the hammock ridgeline begins to sag when you recline. It is normal for it to sag a bit when you sit.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    And if you narrow the base to raise up, does that not provide enough head/foot clearance? That's the first remedy. If it leads to clearance problems, then you can also shorten hammock suspension to raise up, up until the point that the hammock ridgeline begins to sag when you recline. It is normal for it to sag a bit when you sit.
    yeah thats max width base width, any narrower, but i was thinking if i make it narrower would it be possible to go under the bars verse being between them. With that current hand i feel like i have a pressure section me right leg and neck so the symetrical lay i assume is a bit snug in that direction when im in it.

I really appreciate the help everyone is giving me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast