Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Don't Tangle with me

Hello fellow Hammockers...

Although I am a regular reader (as in every night) of the forums, I rarely post. This is a topic that I have not seen before, although those with a better memory might quickly correct me.

I am searching for the easiest, surest way to store (attached to your equipment) cords, lines and such. It is so dang frustrating to unpack your tarp, get ready to attach to a tree, and then have a ball of tangled zing-it in your hand that takes 20 minutes to unwind. This is much more frustrating (think a string of deleted expletives) when you have hiked 15 miles, or shudder, it is starting to rain.

I have seen posts on tarp tie-outs (shock-cord or not, line-locs, etc.) but don't recall seeing how to best "wrap" ridge lines, either split or continuous, for quick deployment. There are several you tubes on how to wrap cords for keeping them untangled, but they are nor really tarp or hammock specific, and often don't apply to such slippery rope as Zing it or Amsteel.

I guess my question(s) could be broken down to the following:

1) What is the best way to organize the long lines attached to a tarp - currently I just wrap it continuously around the end of the snakeskin and secure it with a brightly colored elastic hair band (more durable than rubber bands)

2) What is the best way to organize the loose end of a whoopie sling such that when you need more span, it is quickly available.

3) Tree straps - not as big of a problem, but folding over and over is rather slow, especially 12 ft kevlar. Is there something quicker?

and finally
    4) Bear bag lines (in my case Zing it). Wrapping it over and over around a stick causes nasty twists in the line (as I recently found out). There must be a better way.

This post is kind of a corollary to the recent posts of "The Need for (set up) speed" https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-(setup)-Speed and Quickest Hang Method https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-and-Tarp, but I think this is a little more specific, and will hopefully help someone - like me!

Thanks for any input

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    For my Thunderfly tarp I have a Dutch CRL. I fold the sleeve in half, then roll it towards the ends. I wrap one end of the line around the width of the mesh sleeve, and then wrap the other across the length. That mesh is slippery, so it helps keep it bunched up. I have shock cord loops on the tarp corners, and my guy lines with Dutch hook worms are tied to my stakes. I just wrap the guy lines around the stakes.

2019-09-26_10-57-32_285 (1).jpg

I recently got a Superfly. I went with split ridgelines using Dutch Stingers on either end. I wrap those lines using the figure 8 method and store them in the mesh sleeve end pockets. I attached the guy lines to the corners and use a marlin spike hitch for the stakes. The guy lines are rolled up in the tarp. Because the tarp is so big, instead of rolling it up I jam the whole thing back into the stuff sack and leave one end sticking out of the stuff sack for quick deployment.

For the tree straps, I just fold them up like you do. Not in a hurry, but I also don't want them balled up in a tangled mess.

For the bear line, I do the figure 8 line wrap around my thumb and pinky.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Are you sure you've got Zing-it? I just roll my tarp up and pull snakeskins over it. I've never had the slightest bit of tangling in ten years. I don't do figure 8s or elastic hair bands or anything.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    If it's long enough to tangle, I figure-8 wrap it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PicTsgj5lA

Tarp guy lines, whoopie slings, CRL, tree straps...everything.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY 11' 1.1 SilPol
    Insulation
    AHE
    Suspension
    Evo loops baby!
    I do the figure-8 wrap as well. Everything else I've tried ends up in a tangled mess. I keep lines separate from tarp, in the same bag as my stakes. Most of my setup is evo loops and prusik knots, no snaps, clips or bugs to keep track of. It's not super fast but it doesn't slow me down much either.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    If it's long enough to tangle, I figure-8 wrap it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PicTsgj5lA

Tarp guy lines, whoopie slings, CRL, tree straps...everything.
    Ditto. I love the speed-deploy. If you spend a few minutes practicing, your take-down and setup both get faster.

Images
    This is my preferred method for all size and length of cordages.

http://youtu.be/oyEQkF0o-yA

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraycer View Post

If you wind cord on to a reel (in this case your hand is the "reel"), you're putting a twist in the cord with every loop. Unless you unwind it in the same way you wound it on (unwrapping it one loop at a time - a slow and awkward process), the cord will come out a twisted tangled mess.

The figure-8 method is superior. Also, it's just as easy, and is strangely satisfying.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraycer View Post

At first glance i thought this was also figure-8'ing, but he's just looping it around his hand! That's a recipe for tangles right there. How can this be called "quick deploy"?

Figure-8s block each successive loop from overlapping the next one in line, so they all come out single-file with no twisting and no jams.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    If you wind cord on to a reel (in this case your hand is the "reel"), you're putting a twist in the cord with every loop. Unless you unwind it in the same way you wound it on (unwrapping it one loop at a time - a slow and awkward process), the cord will come out a twisted tangled mess.

The figure-8 method is superior. Also, it's just as easy, and is strangely satisfying.
    As I'd stated, this is the method I use. Never had an issue with twisting and I don't unwind it the same way I wind it up.
    My tarp ridgeline is 50ft of cord. Never had an issue deploying it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast