Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Figure-8 as noted. Tree straps go in their own very small sack, keeps tree sap off other things. Whoopie, I always loosen all the way and just loop around my hand. They are attached to the ends of the hammock, so are on each end of my two-sided stuff sack that the hammock stays in. Doing a Figure-8 takes some time, but worth it in not having the ball-of-tangles to deal with at the end of the day when you are tired.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I appreciate the responses. I have tried the figure and it still ends up a mess at times. But,as the old saying goes, practice makes better. And yeah, I have zing it, amsteel, and Kevlar tree straps.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I used to try to figure 8 everything but right now I have given up. Mostly because I realized a lot of my cords are not actually long enough and were not tangling but also because it did not work on my ridgeline.

Ridgeline - I have a 40ft length of zing-it with a dutch hook, wasp and then 3 nama claws on it (I know I know, too much hardware). I had been doing a figure 8 but with all that bling the line was a nightmare to unwind, always getting caught on itself. My current solution was to just get a hungry fish cord winder from Lawson Equipment. Moving past my solution to too much hardware being more hardware, so far is has proven a quick way to deploy and rewind smoothly. Currently I just leave the cord winder attached even when the line is up and it has actually proved useful when the wasp does not want to let go.

Whoopie slings - I moved to doing a marlin spike and just looping my whoopie slings around that. The bag for my RR is double sided and I just leave a small bit of that loop hanging out after packing. For the rest of the cord I found doing a figure 8 is not necessary. If it is going to rain I might loop it up but otherwise easier to just let it down.

Stake lines - I have some romantic notion of finding the perfect trees to tie my tarp guy lines to so I have 6 ft of cord on each of my stakes along with a line lock hook. Quickly realized if I am just sticking the stake in the ground 2-3 feet is more than enough. So now I leave the remaining 3 feet in a figure 8 in case I need it and wrap the remainder around the stake for a quick deploy.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Ridgeline - I have a 40ft length of zing-it with a dutch hook, wasp and then 3 nama claws on it. My current solution was to just get a hungry fish cord winder from Lawson Equipment. Moving past my solution to too much hardware being more hardware, so far is has proven a quick way to deploy and rewind smoothly. Currently I just leave the cord winder attached even when the line is up and it has actually proved useful when the wasp does not want to let go.
    I do the same, but mine is DIY from coroplast (corrugated plastic that yard signs are made from) which is very light and durable enough. I've been using these for years and never had a problem with tangles. If I do notice some twisting I just un- twist it every once in a while. Fastest and easiest, most reliable, and neatest way I've found to deal with tarp RL and bear- bag lines. I tried the figure-8 but my main issue with that is the need to deploy all of it every time it is used. With the winder I only un- wind what I need which is neater in camp and takes less time.

Tried this with stake lines attached to tarp but way too cumbersome for that. Instead I use a technique I learned from Peter Pan years ago at Mt Rogers. Wrap line around your fingers until about 18" left, then gather that in a bunch and wrap the remaining tightly around the bundle until about 4-6" left, then straighten the index finger of your "holding" hand over the wraps you just made, taking one more wrap over the bunch and finger, then using that finger to pull a bight through and snug down. Holds amazingly well with fiction line (not zing- it, unfortunately). Deploy with a pull on the tag end. Never tangles, very fast.

Zing- it or any line with tube- type tensioner gets wrapped around my hand and secured with the hair- tie that is larks- headed on the loop.

Whoopie slings stay attached to my tree straps and attach to hammock CL with Whoopie hooks. I wrap around my hand then secure with attached hair- tie.

I've spent a lot of time over many years trying to come up with the best way to fit my needs and this is it... so far....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Figure 8 for line and Dutch sells something (Dutch Buckles) I use the roll the webbing and keep it neat. I also find removing the tie out lines from the tarp is cleaner. I figure 8 them and store then with the stakes.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Snake skins control all of my lines. No fig-8 needed when storing.

Once the tarp is pitched, I do fig-8 the loose ends of the RLs so I don't clothes line myself.

Kevlar straps.. I am anal with those and flatten and fold after each use.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    Generally, if it is long enough to tangle, like my tarp lines, I wrap them so that they can't. Figure eight or on the outside of the sack, either one will work and are a good place to start.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use an accordion style wrap to fold tarp guy lines etc. Line is folded back and forth
    in one hand while the other hand feeds it in tangle free.
    When about two feet of line remain free, I coil wrap it tight around accordion bundle.
    I tuck a small bight under the last wrap twice.
    To deploy, pull ripcord and all cord is instantly free, and tangle free.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I do the same as many here with the long end of my continuous ridgeline: figure-8 wrap it, then wrap the last bit tightly around the bundle to hold it together. (Hadn't figured out an easy and fast way to secure the end but now have some tips here, thanks!) It's worth noting, though, that with this method you don't necessarily have to un-do the whole bundle when setting up. The cord will just easily pull out from the center; a few loops let out usually won't loosen the bundle wrap so much, and it can just dangle. More line taken out will cause the bundle to unravel but that's fine when re-doing it is so easy.

Also like others, I haven't found a better way to deal with Kevlar straps than flat folding. It's a bit tedious but results in the smallest package. Also very easy to shake 'em out when setting up.

I roll up the guy-out lines in the sides of the tarp. I use 3 little velcro straps to hold the roll together, then fold that up.

I tried a few times to wrap the CRL around the bundled-up tarp, but the lines always got tangled, especially with the Dutch Hook end.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    as pthers have said, for long loose lines, (Tarp ridge line, bear bag, etc. I figure 8 wrap around my thumb and little finger. For attached corner lines on the tarp I will fold my tarp in half along the ridge line. then fold it the other way several times until it is the width of the stuff sack. This has the ridge line at one end and the free edge and all the lines at the other. I then lay all the lines flat on the tarp and starting at the top fold/roll the tarp toward the free edge. Each fold captures the lines and keeps them tangle free.
    For the tree straps I will again roll/fold them. I never wind anything around my hands or a stick as each twirl puts a twist into the line that will cause issues later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast