Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno camo double nest

Insulated hammock vs under quilt advice needed.

Hi guys I am about to pull the trigger on a superior hammock. Before I do i was wondering if I could get some advice. Would I be better served with an underquilt? Just looking for advice. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    What happens when ya wanna camp in conditions that are outside the temp range for the hammock?Warm or cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    I’d avoid a combined system like that. I mean, unless you hang in the same exact temps year round, you should consider a modular setup. Unless of course you have 10 other hammocks and wanted something that’s VERY specific that you’d only bring out on a hang when temps are between X and Y.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never had the slightest interest in an insulated hammock. I like modularity too much. When I'm getting ready to go hammocking, I look at the weather, and grab the quilts I need (I have 40*, 20* and 0* quilts). However, if I only had an insulated 20* hammock, I would need to augment the insulation to get down to 0* F, which means I'd be bringing a second set of quilts. That's a non-starter for me; it makes absolutely no sense to have an insulated hammock that has to be supplemented with an additional underquilt.

The marketplace also seems to have agreed that insulated hammocks aren't the way to go. Superior Hammock and Sheltowee don't seem particularly successful, and Bonefire Gear gave up last year. Despite going to group hangs for the last ten years, I've never actually seen an insulated hammock, which tells me they're not very popular.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-14-2020 at 23:20.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What SilvrSurfr said

He and I have pretty much the same setup. I can’t see a benefit from having the quilt “built-in”. You can alway just leave the UQ on the hammock. This “skin” will hold them both:

https://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss.../dp/B003AWXBII

Over time you will have conditions where you want a different UQ and I’ve heard that some people even have more than one hammock. Maybe you’ll want a synthetic for really wet conditions and down for light day hiking (with afternoon nap) or overnight.

I’d go with separate UQ. Just remember to bring it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Eno camo double nest
    Thanks guys I have a few cheap uq's (eno snug pac. I'll start looking at some quality uq's.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I'm a big fan of insulated hammocks. I don't tinker with my setup much, which was the original appeal. Besides being a simple setup, it's kind of an 80/20 situation when it comes to temps. Works for 80% of the temp ranges, and for the others you plan accordingly and supplement as needed. The too warm thing isn't really an issue, you just kick off your top layer similar to being in a bed. I'm not familiar with superior hammocks, but here's a couple of things I'd look for if purchasing one. Dual layer - allows you to add incremental warmth without the need for an additional UQ. (I've become a big fan of dual layers). UQ protector - I could easily be wrong, but it seems to be more efficient at not just protecting but adding warmth than on my non-insulated hammocks.

Good luck. Insulated hammocks aren't the norm, so make sure it's a good fit for you.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Eno camo double nest
    Ok guys I broke down and bought the superior hammock. I bought it the burnt orange and grey. I got it in zero degree. Also added the suspension and bugnet. Il

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I gave a shot at a DIY insulated hammock using Debby 1.9 fabric from Dutch. Anxious to try it this weekend IMG_0632.jpg

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Hey Deerhntr. How do you like the Superior Hammock after all? I've been considering one myself. But want to hear from actual owners Pros and Cons. Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast