Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhntr View Post
    Ok guys I broke down and bought the superior hammock. I bought it the burnt orange and grey. I got it in zero degree. Also added the suspension and bugnet. Il
    I bet you are going to love it, at least assuming it is a comfy hammock. As far as what are you going to do when you need either warmer or not as warm, you should be able to use the same tricks as boosting warmth as any other UQ. Vapor barriers or UQPs or a pad between the layer or a 2nd layered UQ wrapped around your Superior. As for reducing warmth, it will be fine from Sept thru May, depending on where you lve, maybe even for more months than that, as long as you can cool off enough on top. If it is just a scorcher, well, many of us have way more than one hammock. And you can certainly pick up a summer only hammock for not much money.

However, what might you love about this quilt/hammock combo? I don't know if you have noticed, but there must be 100 threads here, over the years, about people being surprised by having trouble keeping warm enough with their UQ. Sometimes cold in a 0F UQ at 30 or 40! This is almost always an adjustment problem or error, which can sometime be quite tricky to work out. Plus, they can have a perfect adjustment one night only to have surprise problems the next. I think you ar very unlikely to have such a situation with this hammock/UQ combo. Sonce the UQ is a custom job where ( I think ) the top shell of the UQ is simply the 2nd layer of a dual layer hammock. These(double layer) usually fit very snug to the first layer from head end to foot end. They fit so snug that if you have a pad in there, it can be near impossible to adjust the pad position once you are in the hammock. So, you are highly unlikely to develop a surprise gap due to some poor adjustment of the UQ suspension. And I hope you don't, because if you do, what is there to adjust?

Please let us know how it works out! I hope it is both comfy and warm!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've drunk the kool-aid and asked Alex to build a Whisper for me. I've decided i just won't carry over 15lbs if i don't have to anymore.

I also have a a couple other complete kits that can take me later into deer season. Even nesting insulation if i have to. But for hiking I plan on going light as I can safely manage. I'm going with Sheltowee and Fireinmybones to help me accomplish this. It might not be for everyone, but I hope to push my terminal mileage points and few more years down the road by flirting a little with UL.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    I've made an insulated hammock about 8 years ago, from 100% polyester, and till this day it is still going strong.
    Originally it was meant for summer hikes, but it is quite bulky due to the synthetic insulation, so I switched to down uq's.
    But since then I use it in my mancave, and now my son also likes to sleep in it occasionally.

The video how it was made:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsUEBx0-D4

And the hammock at this very moment:

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I've drunk the kool-aid and asked Alex to build a Whisper for me. I've decided i just won't carry over 15lbs if i don't have to anymore.

I also have a a couple other complete kits that can take me later into deer season. Even nesting insulation if i have to. But for hiking I plan on going light as I can safely manage. I'm going with Sheltowee and Fireinmybones to help me accomplish this. It might not be for everyone, but I hope to push my terminal mileage points and few more years down the road by flirting a little with UL.
    What will the weight be for your whisper? What temp rating?

I built an insulated hammock and love it. Your underquilt is hung perfectly every time, and setup is that much faster. I'm always able to compensate for temperature difference with different top quilts, but I don't hang below 40 or over 75 overnight really.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    What will the weight be for your whisper? What temp rating?
    I'm going with a 30 degree Whisper. As close to the same as Jeremy built for Bonefire Gear. So right around 2lbs.

Really looking forward to it. I sleep almost full time in a Dream Hammock, so I deal with UQ suspension lines every night. Its not so much a hassle but I'm looking forward to having a designated hiking hammock/kit with better ease of set up sans the weight penalty of the shockcord suspension.

I may never make actual UL weights. I'll still carry things that I want....but I'm pretty much done carrying things I don't have need to.
    Signature suspended

I also sleep every night in a dream hammock. To get away from the cords which I dislike, I have been using a Trailwinder from SLD. Perfect, fiddle free fit, and no cords in the way. I don't much care for synthetic insulation, but the TW design is pretty ideal for me.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yea...I try to keep and eye on what SLD is doing and saw the Trailwinder. I kick myself sometimes because SLD use to be around 1 1/2 miles from where I live.

Synthetics although serve the purpose in the right conditions, they don't end up on many UL pack lists. The shock cord suspensions don't bother me all that much. I've gone to a RL connection, which keeps the cords around both head and feet at a higher angle and out of the way for the most part. Uses less cord stock and is marginally lighter than the full length 14' suspensions. I'm just really looking forward to not having them at all.

Actually, like most of us I suppose, for many trips now I've been shaving grams and ounces. All the gear I own presently is going to last to the point and beyond that I may be able to use it. If I waited to go for UL until it I needed to replace it..I'd just never get there. Same with the shots at extended section and thru hiking. The window is finally open again (retirement) but it won't let me stuff 30-40# through it to get there.

Where I'm going and where I came from concerning hammocks, all came from right here on HF. Thanks

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hey there Rolloff, l am taking in interest with this new hammock being created for you by good ole Alex... keen to know more about it?.... Has the whisper been redesign by Alex.... me being curious as l have a couple of Sheltowee half shell hammocks...
    l guess where it's at for me lends itself with another hammock- insulation journey.... sleeping outdoors each night is something else...... owning very nice UQs has got me where l am today, however over time hearing bits and bobs about the Whisper hammock, even emailed Jeremy about 5- 6 years ago, so kinda has got me feeling towards the integrated hammock after reading here... oh if possible a symmetrical hammock.
    I may chime in with Alex to what's up on his future plans...
    Happy Days!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Hey there Rolloff, l am taking in interest with this new hammock being created for you by good ole Alex... keen to know more about it?.... Has the whisper been redesign by Alex.... me being curious as l have a couple of Sheltowee half shell hammocks...
    l guess where it's at for me lends itself with another hammock- insulation journey.... sleeping outdoors each night is something else...... owning very nice UQs has got me where l am today, however over time hearing bits and bobs about the Whisper hammock, even emailed Jeremy about 5- 6 years ago, so kinda has got me feeling towards the integrated hammock after reading here... oh if possible a symmetrical hammock.
    I may chime in with Alex to what's up on his future plans...
    Happy Days!
    I guess you could call it a redesign although "custom build" might be a more accurate term, since I don't have any idea if it would ever become an actual offering on the site. Lead times are long atm over there, of course, and they will be moving shop during this time as well, so fulfillment will be into September. I'll keep things updated if there's interest, as my kit progresses and more of the dimensions and weights get worked out.

Jeremy has started work on my Raven pack previous to this post. I'm getting excited about that as well and the finish dates on both pieces of kit are pretty much the same. The Bearkade Scout food canister, that is part of this system, is also being constructed with a delivery date of late Aug-Sept. Everybody is out of everything atm. Jeremy managed to somehow locate a couple pieces of Dyneema over at RxR that weren't even listed on the site, in order to get started.

Hard to say too much in support of our HF cottage vendors and members. You reach out..they reach right back even harder.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 07-22-2020 at 21:20.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast