WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes there are hammock gatherings-group hangs
    There are many hangs being planned now for the summer and fall.
    There will be lots of hangs as more parks and campgrounds reopen
    On Hammock Forums
    Click forums
    Scroll down and click Outings hangouts camp outs trip planning

I recommend, you attend two group hangs to get a crash course in hammockology
    Watch Shug’s How to hammock series of videos. Most informative and entertaining.
    How to hang a hammock
    How to hang a tarp
    Insulation pads and quilts
    Various hammock suspensions
    At one time this was a ten part series of short videos,
    but Shug has added a few videos.
    Not to be confused with Shug’s excellent trip reports.
    Good luck from another Scout

Hammock
    UKH Woodsman XL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ TQ=salvaged SB
    Suspension
    Straps,rings + diy
    As another scouter who first started hanging in the Midwest, before relocating to the Pacific North West, there are many of us hanging all around (Dejoha comes to mind). If you haven’t yet, attend a few of your local council’s Round Tables. You’re likely to meet, or at least learn about the existence of, other hangers in nearby troops.

Northern Tier should provide an abundance of trees to choose from. Definitely practice your hang calculations so that you’re more comfortable identifying trees that meet your needs. With your rain fly, bug net and quilts, you’ve got a good start on the most essential equipment. Depending on the forecast, you might consider a UQP or my personal luxury item: my gear sling. I like to have my gear slung up almost under me, sharing the rainfly and keeping everything at hand.

When we have District-sized events like summer camp and Klondike, we’ll see anywhere from 4-10 adult hangers in a group of 300-500 scouts. There’ll be a greater variance in the number of younger hangers because some troops will have troop-specific rules surrounding who can hang and when.

Good luck, and remember to post a trip report with your results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Perhaps it’s my natural pessimism, but it seems that an awfully large part of travel these days is to see things while you still can.”
    •Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    You don't need math...well, other than being able to count to ten. Pace off your trees. Looking for six to eight paces between trees.

To start..

Put your foot end strap as high as you can reach.

Put your head end strap at just above eye level.

Hang your hammock with enough tension that the straps are at 30 degrees to the ground. No math right? Just step back from your hammock a few paces and raise your hand.....
    hand-angle-gage-e1506627959309.jpg

There's your 30 degrees. (For me, with the hammock still in it's bishop bag and the foot end strap hanging plumb, the foot CL is tied right about chin height (I am 5'11" btw). The head end.. I just stretch the hammock and eye ball the strap for the 30 degree hangle.)

Double check your straps are tied and get in. Now check your ridge line.

Too tight? Lengthen your straps and move them up the tree farther so you're not on the ground. (make little adjustments.. an inch more strap and and an inch up the tree can make a huge difference)

Too loose? Shorten your straps and if needed, lower the strap ends on the trees so you can easily get in.

You can be off a little on the angle. The structural ridge line will keep the sag (and comfort) constant. Too tight is going to unnecessarily stress the suspension, ridge line and trees.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 06-20-2020 at 16:28.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

As the trees get further apart from that 14-16 foot range ---- the straps have to go way the hell up the tree with every foot further apart. I use 7/64s and don't sweat a tight ridge line -- better than Green Bean'ing my bug net.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I used to use the "step it off" method until I realized that I could just take my hiking poles and hold them out between two trees and see if the distance was too far,too close, or just about right.Then I lay one pole down at the half way point between the trees and try to orient the midpoint of the hammock over the pole which gives me about the same distance from each end of hammock to each tree,then reach as high as possible for my height to hang the foot end.If it's not raining I will throw the tarp in the hammock to give it some weight so as to judge height of hammock from ground so that my underquilt and gear hammock will be happy and not fouling on each other.If it's raining I put up the tarp and use something else to weight the hammock,get it all happy and lower or raise the tarp as required.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > -- better than Green Bean'ing my bug netI am emotionally torn …

First, what a creative way of inventing a new verb
    Second, a little cruel recalling to memory the demise of what was someone’s good and long term friend

I’m afraid it might stick. Already, when I reflect on a certain post about a monolite 1.0 hammock I’m thinking it was Green Beaned.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-14-2020 at 20:54.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    > -- better than Green Bean'ing my bug netI am emotionally torn …

First, what a creative way of inventing a new verb
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. I felt a an emotional and physical pang of sympathy the first time I saw that video clip.
    Now I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from using the term at some point.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I tried to mount my hammock using 12' spider straps + whoopies between 2 trees that must be about 30-35' apart and even though the hammock rested at 4' above the ground unloaded, either the whoopies or the straps stretched to make the hammock touch the ground when I got in. I guess it's ideal to use trees around 15' apart?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There’s been situations where I use just 1 whoopie and have to tie my hammock directly to the opposite tree strap. I probably could have just done both tree straps but I already had 1 whoopie setup so I went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Go higher up the tree and loosen your suspension. The farther apart the trees, the higher ya go. I’ve found the farther the trees are apart,the harder it is to get a loose ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast