Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

Can't Get the Sag Right

I bought a WB Eldorado and Thunderfly plus a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow underquilt with the intention of trying out hammocking with my scouts this year. Well, that of course went down the terlit.

We are still scheduled to go to Northern Tier this summer and I'd like to take this setup. If all else fails, the other adult will be in a 2 person tent.

I've done some day hikes and set things up. I'm mostly getting things down, but it seems like no matter what I do, the hammock ridgeline is very tight.

Today, I strapped it as high as I could reach (I'm 6'3") and loosening it to the point that the underquilt practically touched the ground still resulted in a very tight ridgeline.

From the many Shug and other videos I've watched, I should be able to twist the ridgeline with my fingers to just about vertical, right? Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Try using trees that are closer together

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Sounds like you’re not getting that ideal 30 degree hang angle. As suggested above, try getting trees that are a bit close, say, 15’ apart or less, and go fairly high. You need to practice a lot to understand and visualize your angles. Once you get that dialed in, you can look at most any tree setup and have a proper config.

But start with close trees if you can. There should be a little flex in the structural ridgeline, and it should be incredibly taut. Of course, the ridgeline is meant to make up for a less than ideal hang, so keep that in mind that it’s okay if it’s tight depending on the trees.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    You have a hammock. If you have two trees in your backyard you can use, try measuring the distance between them and then playing with Derek's Hammock Hang Calculator. That'll allow you to hold some things (tree distance, hammock length) constant while playing with other variables. Then you can test it out "in the field" and see how it looks and feels. Repeat until you get the "hang" of it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    You have a hammock. If you have two trees in your backyard you can use, try measuring the distance between them and then playing with Derek's Hammock Hang Calculator. That'll allow you to hold some things (tree distance, hammock length) constant while playing with other variables. Then you can test it out "in the field" and see how it looks and feels. Repeat until you get the "hang" of it.
    Cool, but I was told there would be no math.

I have the Dutchware tarp ridgeline and I was already thinking about marking it at 15' to get an idea of how far apart trees are until I can eyeball them.

I appreciate all the replies.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post

I have the Dutchware tarp ridgeline and I was already thinking about marking it at 15' to get an idea of how far apart trees are until I can eyeball them.

I appreciate all the replies.
    I walk them.off
    My foot is just about a foot
    Once you do it a few times and get her dialed in
    It will.become second nature....
    You will never go back
    This is coming from a stomach sleepers
    Pain free wake ups in a hammock

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    Who told you that?

There's math every time I hang a hammock. I know that a short hang (say, 13 ft.) is gonna be harder than a 15 ft. hang. And if I'm hanging between trees 20 feet apart I know that I'll need to get my tree straps high up the tree. The Hammock Hang Calculator is an invaluable tool that helps you understand the basic mathematical concepts of hammock hanging and how to maintain that 30* optimum angle.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-14-2020 at 17:57.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    As a fall back, I use 1/8 amsteel as my hammock structural ridgeline. It’s a fixed ridgeline set at about 83% of hammock length. Like you, I strive for a 30* angle of hang. Sometimes it’s not exactly 30* but it’s close enough.
    With a strong suspension, my main concern is pulling a tree over on my carcass. I’m very careful not to have a spang tight flat hang. This would invite disaster. But, many times my hammock ridgeline is real tight. So far, so good. I just try to get straps to be close to 30* , although it’s seldom perfect.
    Possibly you can attend a group hang in your area. There you will see all kinds of rigging for hammocks.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    As a fall back, I use 1/8 amsteel as my hammock structural ridgeline. It’s a fixed ridgeline set at about 83% of hammock length. Like you, I strive for a 30* angle of hang. Sometimes it’s not exactly 30* but it’s close enough.
    With a strong suspension, my main concern is pulling a tree over on my carcass. I’m very careful not to have a spang tight flat hang. This would invite disaster. But, many times my hammock ridgeline is real tight. So far, so good. I just try to get straps to be close to 30* , although it’s seldom perfect.
    Possibly you can attend a group hang in your area. There you will see all kinds of rigging for hammocks.
    Good luck!
    There are hammock gatherings? Is that like the juggalos, but with hammocks?

With the plague restrictions, I don't think I'll be able to do that anytime soon. No one in my troop is an experienced hanger, so I'm kind of on my own. One adult tried sleeping in a hammock at one of our campouts. It got chilly at night and he had no underquilt or pad. He didn't know about underquilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Who told you that?

There's math every time I hang a hammock. I know that a short hang (say, 13 ft.) is gonna be harder than a 15 ft. hang. And if I'm hanging between trees 20 feet apart I know that I'll need to get my tree straps high up the tree. The Hammock Hang Calculator is an invaluable tool that helps you understand the basic mathematical concepts of hammock hanging and how to maintain that 30* optimum angle.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Old joke.

That's a cool calculator.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast