Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Connecting two Amsteel loops

I've made myself some amsteel continuous loops and whoopie slings but what's the best way to connect them? I see in one of Shug's suspension intro videos he simply Lark's foots* the whoopie sling to the CL but having tried that it does look like it puts a lot of strain on the cord with some tight bends. It's also rather hard to undo. The Ultimate Hang shows one method using a toggle between the two loops. There's also carabiners and Dutch Whoopie hooks (more awkward to get hold of here in the UK).

What are the pros and cons of each plus of course anything I've missed?

*from my many years climbing we always called it a lark's foot not a lark's head. Don't know why, seems to be the name in UK climbing circles and instruction manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    I've made myself some amsteel continuous loops and whoopie slings but what's the best way to connect them?
    If you can make an amsteel loop, you can also make a soft shackle, which would work to connect a loop to a whoopie. My bridge hammock uses soft shackles as a connection point to the suspension. To make your own, watch the video I'll link below which helped me immensely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I've made one soft shackle, following that video as it happens, so easy enough to make another one.

I suppose one "problem" with soft shackles and carabiners is that they extend the overall length of the suspension "system" so if you've a couple of closer spaced trees then they aren't ideal. Could always go to CL direct to straps using Becket Hitch or J-Bend in those instances I suppose.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I'd also vote to use a soft shackle to connect them.

And the Tacblades video mentioned above is an excellent and easy design to use for soft shackles.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    I've made myself some amsteel continuous loops and whoopie slings but what's the best way to connect them? I see in one of Shug's suspension intro videos he simply Lark's foots* the whoopie sling to the CL but having tried that it does look like it puts a lot of strain on the cord with some tight bends. It's also rather hard to undo. The Ultimate Hang shows one method using a toggle between the two loops. There's also carabiners and Dutch Whoopie hooks (more awkward to get hold of here in the UK).

What are the pros and cons of each plus of course anything I've missed?

*from my many years climbing we always called it a lark's foot not a lark's head. Don't know why, seems to be the name in UK climbing circles and instruction manuals.
    I actually prefer using a Dutch biner to connect them. Acts as a drip break too. Larksheading them together can be a pain getting them apart if I want to switch.
    As mentioned above a soft shackle will also suffice.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Shug, you are the man with the amstel plan.

I'm lazy and use carabiners. Most of the time.i have a couple of soft shackles, but prefer the simplicity of the carabiners. For more adjustability try the marlinspike hitch with a binder as the toggle. For an easy to untie knot try the bowline. Being from a climbing background I try to keep it simple and foolproof. The larkshead will untie more easily if you put 2 or 3 loops on it.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    A single link from a welded chain, larks footed onto the CL and whoopie works.

I've just come out bike packing for the afternoon with a different hammock and grabbed a couple of steel rings as an afterthought. They weren't welded and one opened up and dumped me.
    1592148049310922292285168740950.jpg

I've larks footed the whoopies on, but added a small stick to make it easier to undo. All the sticks on the ground are quite soft, so I didn't trusted them to be used as a toggle
    15921482037661652279296915813069.jpg

Images
    Square knot, assuming the whoopie is free when you tie it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a ring - less expensive than titanium - It only adds about 1.5 - 2 inches length overhead and like the biner, acts as a water break. I use a different color ring (red at the head) for hammocks that have a specific head end (ridge runner, blackbird, etc.). Another advantage is it’s easy to swap out different suspensions if you want to switch from whoopies to straps to daisy chain or even just line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    You could learn to splice an Evo Loop, make two, replace the CL's on the hammock with them, and connect the eye of the whoopie to the button knot on the Evo Loop. That method won't add extra length to the system, doesn't weigh anything, and doesn't cost anything assuming you have extra Amsteel around.

The fixed eye of the whoopie passes through the Evo Loop, then doubles back on itself and loops over the button knot. YouTube will show good examples. This can be released one handed, even under load. So don't do it if you're camping with pranksters, or at least don't show them how.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 06-14-2020 at 13:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast