Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Polystraps

JRB Mt. Washington 3 vs ?

Greetings y'all -

I'm fairly new at this whole hammock-camping thing despite having checked it out 4 years ago. I am, however, well-versed in the CBS experience and needed to make a change.

I've planned a wee little hike with a friend up in the mountains and wanted to use me hammock. Sooooo the CBS thing needed to get fixed and as time was not on my side, i needed something speedy pronto (couldn't wait the 7-9 weeks some of the UQ companies require).

As a result of my research, i checked out Jacks R Better. It looked they were outta stock too, but DGrav opened the floodgates of availability and i bought a Jacks R Better Mt. Washington 3 (20F rating).

So, how does the Mt. Washington stack up against it's real competitors (yes, i have searched in the internet far and wide....with minimal actual comparative results).

Additionally, what suggestions/advice would you give for using this UQ

In advance, I offer my whole-hearted thank you!

fm
    Last edited by JusAGuy; 06-13-2020 at 23:21.
    "Just because you're lost doesn't mean your compass is broken"
    Charles Morse

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It should do you well. The key to a UQ is to make sure you set it up correctly.....go gaps between it and the hammock body.
    Dont over-cinch or under-cinch the ends (foot to foot and shoulder to shoulder)
    Make the primary suspension tighter than you think you would need to to lift up the UQ. It should lift your hammock up without you in it.
    I've never suffered cbs in my Jackrbetter products.
    Stay warm and carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Polystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It should do you well. The key to a UQ is to make sure you set it up correctly.....go gaps between it and the hammock body.
    Dont over-cinch or under-cinch the ends (foot to foot and shoulder to shoulder)
    Make the primary suspension tighter than you think you would need to to lift up the UQ. It should lift your hammock up without you in it.
    I've never suffered cbs in my Jackrbetter products.
    Stay warm and carry forth.
    Shug

Hey Shug -

Whoooo Buddy!

Thx for the info on the head/foot end (it's tempting to want to over-cinch.... my newb thinking is no air = better).

I've watched the vid you linked - great instruction!

I noted for the 1st time that your JRB is the Hudson River and it seems to give good coverage for you. After comparing the dimensions btween the Hudson River and the Mt. Washington, i'm convinced the Mt. Washington (at 6" less width) will be too small to get comfortably around my shoulders - especially sleeping on the diagonal... Thank you!!!

fm
    Charles Morse

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The issue on the gap might be this … if you look at the shape of a hammock with no one in it, it seems to make sense to close those end up tight. But when you are in the hammock, in a diagonal position, you body is pushing “sideways” near the ends and that can create a gap if the UQ ends are held tight. By leaving the end cinched with the right amount of looseness, it can better form to your body.

All that said, it is difficult to get it just right if you are the only one there - can’t be in the hammock and outside checking things at the same time. Two ways to deal with that. Buy an UQ that has a differential cut so no matter how tight it is against the bottom of the hammock, the loft won’t be compressed. And use a UQP. the UQP makes the UQ fit less critical. It’s still important, just not as critical. And the UQP has other advantages (discussed in many other threads).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I own the Mnt Washington 3 and use it quite successfully with my dutch chameleon. I have had two overnight trips at the 19 degree mark and stayed warm. I wear my heavier long johns when I expect temps like this. I am a very hot sleeper though. I do feel like I would like to have a zero degree for temps under 20 just to make sure i stay comfortable on these colder trips. Bottom line is I highly recommend the Mnt Washington 3.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JusAGuy View Post
    Hey Shug -

Whoooo Buddy!

Thx for the info on the head/foot end (it's tempting to want to over-cinch.... my newb thinking is no air = better).

I've watched the vid you linked - great instruction!

I noted for the 1st time that your JRB is the Hudson River and it seems to give good coverage for you. After comparing the dimensions between the Hudson River and the Mt. Washington, i'm convinced the Mt. Washington (at 6" less width) will be too small to get comfortably around my shoulders - especially sleeping on the diagonal... Thank you!!!

fm
    I have a Greylock 4(same width as MW4) and used to have an MW4, and currently have an MW3, and I am broad shouldered, at 6'1" and up and down between 200-220. I can assure you all of those are more than adequate width for an UQ.

Keep in mind that the Hudson River is a primarily designed as a TQ, and since those sometimes need to be tucked around you, they need to be wider than UQs in my experience. Check out the abundant width seen here at 2:25 and 4:00 with this Greylock(same width as MW3 and 4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTz2Cm0iirk

I have used my MW3, mostly hung under a bridge hammock, at 25F wearing cotton PJs and a JRB hood, using a JRB Sierra Sniv on top, and was toasty warm. All JRB quilts I have tried have been superb and easily met their temp rating for me. But, with all UQs, hanging them correctly and pretty perfectly is required, unless you want to cool off.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-07-2020 at 15:21.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex fly
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Polystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have a Greylock 4(same width as MW4) and used to have an MW4, and currently have an MW3, and I am broad shouldered, at 6'1" and up and down between 200-220. I can assure you all of those are more than adequate width for an UQ.

Keep in mind that the Hudson River is a primarily designed as a TQ, and since those sometimes need to be tucked around you, they need to be wider than UQs in my experience. Check out the abundant width seen here at 2:25 and 4:00 with this Greylock(same width as MW3 and 4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTz2Cm0iirk

I have used my MW3, mostly hung under a bridge hammock, at 25F wearing cotton PJs and a JRB hood, using a JRB Sierra Sniv on top, and was toasty warm. All JRB quilts I have tried have been superb and easily met their temp rating for me. But, with all UQs, hanging them correctly and pretty perfectly is required, unless you want to cool off.
    Thx BillyBob!

I abandoned the Hudson River for the MW3. Temp ratings are so subjective and difficult for manufacturers to 'get right' b/c individual people/users can have such a wide array of personal sleeping needs so i really appreciate your comment RE your MW3 use.

I have been able to get out and try my MW3 - though overnight temps were in the balmy mid 50's.

The MW3 is a nice piece and does manage to cover my shoulders - though no extra width for margin there... I guess i'm spoiled with using Western Mountaineering sleeping bags....
    Charles Morse

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JusAGuy View Post
    Thx BillyBob!

I abandoned the Hudson River for the MW3. Temp ratings are so subjective and difficult for manufacturers to 'get right' b/c individual people/users can have such a wide array of personal sleeping needs so i really appreciate your comment RE your MW3 use.

I have been able to get out and try my MW3 - though overnight temps were in the balmy mid 50's.

The MW3 is a nice piece and does manage to cover my shoulders - though no extra width for margin there... I guess i'm spoiled with using Western Mountaineering sleeping bags....
    Glad that I could help. Just remember that when you are on the diagonal- or for that matter straight down the middle in a bridge hammock - any amount of UQ that is rising up above your shoulder is wasted insulation. The only way it will become useful is if you manage to get a body part- say a knee if "frog legging" it, or some other unusual position- high up to the edge of the hammock. But as for your shoulders, your TQ or sleeping bag should cover your entire shoulder, or even be wrapped around it and under it. That will cover all of the insulation needs of your shoulder except where the TQ's insulation is compressed by the weight of your shoulder. That's where your MW3 will kick in, taking over for the compressed part of the TQ that is under, or just immediately to the side of- your TQ. Anything more than that, or above the shoulder, is redundant. Well, theoretically anyway. I suppose that if the TQ insulation at the side of your shoulder is in contact with the hammock's side, but not compressed, if the UQ comes up over that small area, perhaps there will be double insulation for that small area? The TQ + the UQ? But for most of the body most of the time, any UQ rising up above the body is wasted.

Glad to hear the MW3 seems to be working for you! Let us know how it goes once the frost in on the pumpkin!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I love Jack's R Better...I love my Hudson as a bottom quilt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Check out HangTight on Etsy..he makes some good quilts too out of Costco quilts

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts