Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    That's good to hear. Hammock gear seems to be pretty top notch with their customer service.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    *Update*
    I just got an email from the folks at HG after submitting my latest review and it appears I was either missed or an auto spam filter prevented me from getting their email they sent out about this known issue. They are taking care of me and it is much appreciated. A+ customer service eventually
    Totally happy to help with this! To say the Journey II / Quest II was a debacle is an understatement. We got hosed by a manufacturer overseas, but learned our lesson If anyone else sees this thread, please reach out to us at the email below. We'll get y'all taken care of.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have the original journey and I can say without a doubt that's a great tarp. I don't know much about the journey II tarp. But the original will handle anything thrown at it.

I assume the Journey II was available some time ago? Does anybody know the last date it was available?

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    Maybe I got a fluke, but I've been disappointed with my Journey II. I've made a couple of attempts to leave a review on the website that I'm guessing never get approved because they're not 4 or 5 stars (looking at other products on the website, I see nothing but 4 and 5-star reviews, and sorry, but I think that's a bit suspicious). Anyway, my first outing with my Journey II, I understand it's the Chinese version, but the description left me feeling I should still be able to trust it, was a 3-day trek into rainy cold weather. Have no fear! I have a brand new tarp with doors! Except after raining for several hours, anytime the wind so much as sneezed at me, I'd receive a shower inside my hammock. It seemed the panels were fully saturated and I'd get a nice cold mist from inside the tarp. Not something I prefer when it's 40° and dropping and I'm sleeping with down insulation. It's sat in the gear closet ever since because I just can't trust it to keep me dry. I'm looking for a new Hex tarp and love the price on the Quest, but can't in good faith order another tarp from HG. I have been nothing but happy with my 20° HG Top Quilt though.
    Welcome to your introductory course in condensation.

Can’t be certain, of course, but that’s almost certainly what was going on. Most tarps will trap condensation when there’s lots of humidity and cold air, especially tarps with doors where there’s much less airflow to vent. Most any tarp could easily be overwhelmed in that situation, and I would not assume that to be a failure of your Journey.

The same thing happened to me way back when with my silpoly Thuderfly, and I thought maybe the waterproofness of the fabric was not sufficient. Wrong. Just the conditions were against me and my inexperience.

[Understand that I have no vested interest in defending HG; I just felt like it was important to educate, in case this experience is new for you. If it’s not, please ignore.]

Hammock
    Kitsapcowboy 11
    Tarp
    HG Journey12
    Insulation
    Gemini
    Suspension
    MSHitch->Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderkeen View Post

Can’t be certain, of course, but that’s almost certainly what was going on. Most tarps will trap condensation when there’s lots of humidity and cold air, especially tarps with doors where there’s much less airflow to vent. Most any tarp could easily be overwhelmed in that situation, and I would not assume that to be a failure of your Journey.

The same thing happened to me way back when with my silpoly Thuderfly, and I thought maybe the waterproofness of the fabric was not sufficient. Wrong. Just the conditions were against me and my inexperience.

[Understand that I have no vested interest in defending HG; I just felt like it was important to educate, in case this experience is new for you. If it’s not, please ignore.]
    I've really been wondering about this! I am thinking that if it is cold and dry, tarp down and doors closed would help with temps/staying warm, but if its cold and wet, then pitching low at the ridgeline but also in porchmode might be good just to keep the air moving underneath. Any thoughts on my thoughts?

(I too have just bought a Journey, not sure of version, but looking forward to trying it out - first time might be in cold/wet weather! So far, HG cust service/Grisnakh has been extremely helpful while I changed my mind during ordering!)

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    I was fortunate enough to buy the Journey while the Journey II was also for sale. Dodged that one! Love my Journey Classic. The thing is a lightweight beast. My seam sealing job is a little messy but I stay dry. The hammock took a direct hit from a snow bomb while camping after a 3’ snow storm last January with no damage. The prussiks on the CRL slid and that may have helped. That was a LOT of wet heavy snow.

I’d buy another if I was in the market for a hammock tarp again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EWest View Post
    I've really been wondering about this! I am thinking that if it is cold and dry, tarp down and doors closed would help with temps/staying warm, but if its cold and wet, then pitching low at the ridgeline but also in porchmode might be good just to keep the air moving underneath. Any thoughts on my thoughts?
    Even with a 4-season tarp, I don't think you need to go to extreme measures to "keep the air moving underneath." The wind can flow underneath the hammock, through the doors, and there is not much you can do about it.

One night, I knew a snowstorm was coming, so I hunkered down my HG Winter Palace 4-season tarp so tight a bug couldn't get underneath that tarp. Unfortunately, this particular snowstorm found a tiny 1-inch gap and proceeded to deposit about six inches of snow on my topquilt. When I turned on my headlamp, I could not believe the amount of snow coming through that tiny gap.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by UP_RoaR View Post
    I assume the Journey II was available some time ago? Does anybody know the last date it was available?
    We stopped selling them in February of 2019, shortly after offering them. If you ordered anytime after that, you definitely received the non-imported Journey. Your order confirmation email will say Journey II if you're able to look back. If you'd like me to look back on that, just shoot me an email I'd be happy to confirm what you received.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderkeen View Post

That could definitely have happened, but we'd rather air on the side of caution with anyone who received the imported version of our Sil tarps. Thanks for educating folks, though! That's what I love about this forum.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12