Thread: Walmart Tarp?

Walmart Tarp?

Thoughts on this Ozark trail tarp from Walmart? Is $38 and 12 ft by 12 ft...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

New Member ConquistadorOfTheUseless's Avatar
    Probably a little heavy can’t see the weight on my screen, but it will keep you dry and 38 bucks ain’t to shabby. Or go to harbor freight and get one for probably half that price or less. And if they both are close to the same weight may as well save the dollars at harbor freight

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Cheap tarps are a great place to learn about flying them in different ways without wrecking an expensive one. Once you get good at putting it up and taking it down without snagging it or getting it tangled up, then you can feel better about spending more on a tarp that is lighter but better made. I have the Gold Armour tarp (12'x10', I believe) you can find online for around $32 and it's done really well as I figure things out. I'll get a nice winter tarp with doors made by one of our resident cottage vendors eventually. I just upgraded my lines, got some sleeves and am trying out some bling on the old tarp for now.

Good luck.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    I wonder who is their 8' tall friend who tied the tarp to the trees.

bw,

Instead of the tarp shelter at 38 bucks, just buy whatever type tarp you want, in whatever size you want. I went with the 12 X 14 and you can find them, at times, for about 14 - 18 bucks. Its just a blue wally world tarp. Ive used the heck out of that thing, learning the different ways to deploy it. It is not super light, but it not very heavy either. It is also significantly more durable, than a sil nylon tarp.

Ive mentioned this before but here goes, you can take the cheap poly tarp and mod it in many different ways. Using duct tape and 4 Metal D Rings from Joannes Fabrics, I made side pullouts. Perusing Derek Hansens "Ultimate Hang" book and/or website, you can find his great illustrations on the various ways to deploy the tarp, including making doors, for both ends.

That cheap wally world tarp has been with me the last 3- 4 years and still going strong. It taught me what I wanted out of a real tarp. I ended up with the Hammock Gear Journey Tarp ( a great product btw). Honestly I love both tarps the same.

Lastly, I think the item you are looking at for 38 bucks, comes with stands for set up. I think if you forgo that and get a simple tarp like I explained above, you will be happy.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    One my go to tarps is a cheap Amazon tarp @ like $20 & I have yay more expensive tarps. Everything boils down to what we can afford. Some say buy once but I'm on the other side. I like to start & dabble to see what I prefers. Weight being a non issue, (I don't hike) the cheaper stuff works great & you learn lots more to see where the $ is put @ a later time. I love the fun of fiddling with all camping gear. Just my .002 ¢

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I can't believe people can get three or four years out of a cheap Wally World tarp. I felt lucky to get three or four trips out of the cheap blue Wally World tarps.

I'm also not a fan of whatever the cheap, Chinese-made, Amazon tarp du jour may be. There's nothing worse than being out in wilderness and finding out that your $20 or $30 tarp is basically a piece of crap that can barely survive a light drizzle.

Cheap Chill Gorilla tarps had a brief surge, but it was all some kind of herd mentality, if you ask me. People wanted a $30 tarp, and Chill Gorilla obliged. A couple of years ago at a group hang, during a torrential rainfall, some lady with a Chill Gorilla couldn't believe that the tarp started leaking after 15 minutes. I didn't find it surprising - what do you expect from a $30 tarp?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Tarps, like a lot of camping equipment, tend to work out to a trade off between cost and weight. I’m one of those who like Chill Gorilla just fine, and my kids have both had cheap Amazon tarps. I’ve been happier with the lighter weight of my HG and Dutchware tarps, but stayed plenty dry with the cheaper tarp. You probably don’t need poles for a tarp you’re using with a hammock, though you might want them if you ever build a Tensahedron stand (the ridgeline flex there was a bit of a surprise).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen that tarp and for the size of the package, I've left it alone. You can get a cheap 12'x10 tarp for less on amazon in a smaller package and less $. The steel poles are going to be heavy. The cheap $10 - $14 fiberglass replacement tent poles would probably be a better option, but most of the time, unless I want to do porch mode the poles are not necessary. Went hammock camping last weekend and used a 9.5x9.5 $14 tarp from amazon and used the nearby trees to have it in porch mode.

Screenshot_20200614-205531.jpg

- Clyde

• + New Posts