Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A reluctant hammocker takes the plunge

I have been intrigued by Hammock camping for quite a while, but I've always been resistant to making the switch. I've been a ground camper for many many years and, well, it just works. As much as I was intrigued by the hangers, I couldn't justify spending all that money to try out something I wasn't sure would work for me.

As I get older, sleeping on the ground has gotten tougher and tougher. On an average camping trip I will stretch out real well before laying down, sleep decent until about three or four in the morning when I have to get up and excuse myself. After a quick jog out of the tent I lay back down with a stiff and aching back and toss and turn miserably for a few hours until it's time to get up.

I had a hunch Hammock camping would be better for my back, but the money... I had a few other objections as well as follows:

It was just so confusing. I mean tarps, under quilts, / quilts, ridgelines, suspension, and the list goes on. It just seemed like something that was way too complicated.

I've got a lot of stuff that I bring into my tent. I like to spread out and have things handy, and I don't like having my pack and things out of the rain fly. The idea of a hammock felt super restrictive.

I could not stand the idea of being wrapped up like a burrito all night.

I'm a side sleeper.

Where in the world do you put your stuff?

I like things simple and straightforward. The tent is tried-and-true. The hammock just feels like a lot of pieces to pull together.

So all that to say, I was not someone sold on the idea of hammocking. I write this post for others who may be intrigued but unable to make the jump. Here is where I have found myself on the other side.

My son is in boy scouts, and Hammock camping is definitely the thing. All the kids have it so last Christmas I bought him one too. I got him a inexpensive camping hammock off Amazon. it had a built-in bug net and asymmetrical cut with tie outs kind of like the Hennessy. I can't find the current model on Amazon anymore, but it looks a lot like the ridge outdoor gear currently available. I also picked up another Amazon tarp for him.

Since I was curious about this whole Hammock camping thing, I snagged it and took it out for a few nights. Let me just say that I slept better than I have ever slept on a camping trip even back in my younger days. This thing was not a top-of-the-line hammock by any means. It's a 10-footer off Amazon that I think cost around $50. But the fabric was soft and comfy and my back issues disappeared after one night. Bottom line is that I was sold and would figure out all my other objections later.

I began my research and after much much deliberation. Purchased a warbonnet Eldorado and a simply light designs trail Winder underquilt. I'm using my old sleeping bags as top quilts, and I'm still on a blue hardware store tarp for now. I could not be happier with the new setup.

Here are the things that I believe make Hammock camping better than tents:

Comfort. Absolutely hands down more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Not sure what else to say about that.

I was really worried about where all my stuff would go. I actually prefer the hammock now that I've switched though. I've got Ridgeline organizer and a little peak bag. instead of everything just being sprawled out on the floor of the tent, now everything has a place. It's forced me to be organized. Also, there's a ton of room outside of the hammock but still under the tarp and it's really easy just to reach out for things like your shoes.

In a tent, your backpack and shoes barely fit in the vestibule area. And a hammock, you have so much more room under the tarp because you can put your backpack and shoes and anything else under the hammock. it's fully undercover and really easy just to sit in your hammock or reach out of your hammock and get to whatever you need. honestly I feel like with a hammock setup I have much more room than I did with the tent.

Getting in and out is easier. You're not going all the way to the ground you're just coming up and down from the natural sitting position. Things like putting on your shoes and packing up the things that are in the hammock are much easier when you're sitting in your hammock than when you're sitting on the floor of your tent.

You can relax in the hammock during the day. in a tent there is really no way to get comfortable sitting or leaning back and reading a book. A hammock is practically made for that.

On a rainy night you can take a leak without having to come out from under your tarp.

You can set up and pack the whole thing without it being on the ground. I hate packing up a tent that is wet and rolling it up on the ground. With a hammock set up and take down is so much cleaner.

I'm sure there are many many more points I could add, and to be honest there is really nothing I miss about the tent.

now, it has been an investment and there are still more pieces I need to buy. I do wish it was a little easier and you didn't feel like you had to go buy a dozen different things to make it work. There are a lot of areas you can improvise without spending a ton, but you will want a few key things.

I've been pretty happy with the way I eased into it. Get your hammock first and then some bottom insulation. I didn't really mess around with a pad in the hammock but I know that works for a lot of people. I'm happy with my purchase of the hammock and underquilt and think it's been money well spent. And as I said, I slept great in my son's Amazon hammock so start there if you need to.

From there use your hardware store tarps until you're ready to spend on that piece, and your sleeping bags work just fine unzipped as a quilt.

along the way you can pick up little bits and pieces like Ridgeline organizers and suspension pieces.

If you are still on the fence like I was and hesitant to spend the money, just do it you won't regret it. If you can't go all in start with the inexpensive pieces. It's still a better experience than the ground, at least it was for me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Sound like you made a good move, and changing from tent camping I carry less kit now, setting up and packing away a breeze, you can collect different little bits of kit that improve things as you go along, and you will soon have an area under your tarp all sorted out for your stuff,i have an xlc same as Eldorado but that has little shelf to put light gear on, hat, pillow phone etc
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-13-2020 at 11:08.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

A reluctant hammocker takes the plunge

one of the biggest advantages I think in hammock camping is like you said,being able to use the hammock as a place to sit/lounge during the day. if I'm taking a day to just read a book instead of putting more miles on the trail/lake, I may stay in my hammock all day long and be absolutely comfortable for the whole time.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some intel to peruse.......
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the world of hammock camping. I have been an Aast. Scout Master for about 15 years and got to the point where I was pretty comfortable in a tent with a backpacking cot, etc. but it in no way compares to the comfort of hammock camping for all the reasons you said and more. Next year I am going to Philmont which means sleeping in a tent but unless times like that where I am forced to use a tent, I will always hammock. This forum is a wealth of information and I learn new things every day. One of the best things I learned was how to build a turtledog stand for camporees where there are no trees

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ha. Sounds a lot like why I started hammocking. I agree that sometimes the accessories for hammocks can be overwhelming but I look at it as my personalized sleeping system. Good luck with your new adventure and don’t be shy about asking questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Welcome to the world of hammock camping. When I started, I set up a hammock - the Hennessy Explorer - and a tent. Though the hammock felt a little strange the first night, and I figured I’d sleep in the tent the second night, when I walked towards the tent, my body just kept going towards the hammock. Like it was telling me, “No! I want to sleep in that hammock thing again.” Though finding the right trees can be more challenging than I ever imagined - I thought any two trees would work - and I also carry a tent (Plan B) when kayak camping - it’s been a long, long time since I’ve had to return to ground.

Note that in formal campsites, where you have your “area”, instead of needing two trees, you just need one tree and your car roof rack.

Good insight in using your sleeping bag partially unzipped as a top quilt.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Same here...if it were still comfortable just getting up and down from the ground in a tent/tarp setup, I might not have found hammocks. I'm still rather new in this journey and operate on mostly less expensive analogs of some things, like tarp, quilts and the GE hammock options I own. The cost is daunting, especially in these times. But, if you are someone who enjoys camping (even slightly), looking at spending a night in a hammock should be on your radar.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree with everything but taking a leak under the tarp. That's not gonna happen.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree with everything but taking a leak under the tarp. That's not gonna happen.
    Perhaps with enough rain you would at least consider it...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast