Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new Blackbird XLC!

My new XLC came yesterday! When the package arrived I thought it was cat food actually, since I'd gotten a delivery notification for that, and the XLC wasn't supposed to arrive until the next day. When I picked up the package though, it was awfully light for 12 cans of cat food!

I set it up last night in my basement and... I'm in love! It is *so* comfortable. It's more comfortable than my Ridgerunner even. I love my Dream Hammock Sparrow, which has served me well for years, but honestly, the foot box in the XLC can't be beat. I just can't believe how quick and easy it is to get the perfect lay. I also like the Dreamtex fabric a lot. I really made some errors when purchasing my Sparrow, like I got a double-layer, which I didn't even end up making use of (I got double-layer because I use the double-layer in my Ridgerunner), and got Hexon 1.6 for the inner fabric and 2.4 for the outer fabric, so it's really stiff. I honestly don't know what I was thinking with that. But man, I lay in my XLC last night and it was everything I could want and more from a gathered end hammock.

I also think the shelf will come in handy. One problem I always had with the Sparrow was that there was no place to store big things, and my attempts at using a gear hammock were never very successful. This is not to insult the Sparrow - it is a really great hammock, and I actually like its zippers better than the zippers on the XLC. I also like the variety of colors and ability to customize with Dream Hammock, like choosing color accents. I also think I'm going to have to stake out the bugnet on the XLC to keep it off my face, which I didn't have to do with the Sparrow. I will also miss my peak shelf. But after getting the XLC I don't see myself using my Sparrow again, just because of the difference in comfort. I'm sure the problem was me, but I always seemed to have an issue with my Sparrow where the ridge-line was very tight, and if I adjusted my hang to get a looser ridge-line, I found the hammock to be uncomfortable. The XLC set up exactly how I would have expected though, with the right amount of ridge-line tension translating into a comfortable lay. I also like the buckles for the suspension, which have been updated since I bought my Ridgerunner. I tried different suspension options with my Sparrow, but the Warbonnet buckles are my favorite - very easy to adjust, and I don't worry about them slipping. I'm really looking forward to getting out and using this hammock. Crossing my fingers for a July 4th sale so I can pick up a Wooki. It would be a nice distraction from the fireworks being cancelled.

I did not, alas, get the color samples I had requested (for helping with decisions on future quilts, underquilt protector, top cover and tarp), so I'll contact Warbonnet about that to see whether they can send them. I also got a small mystery stuff sac - I'm not sure what's it's meant to be used for. A stuff sac for the pillow I purchased? It seems too small for that. Any ideas? (I'll post a picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 06-12-2020 at 11:12.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe a stuff sack for the bugnet?

Oh, maybe! It would be the right size for that.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have both the XLC and a Sparrow. Love them both. But my XLC is more for backpacking and my Sparrow gets nightly use. Hence I went for the Hex2.2(?) DL and I know it will survive a lot of use and abuse. My Sparrow is symmetrical and I often switch it up, even during the same night. You are right about the bennies of the XLC shelf, I like it too. For my personal sweet spot I ended up using an adjustable whoopie ridge line and lengthening the stock ridge line on both XLC and Sparrow. Enjoy and nice color choice.

Hammock
    SLBBXLC
    Tarp
    ThunderFly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Loops/FishHooks
    It's for the pillow. It's a tight squeeze. Congrats on the new XLC!

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have the WBBB and the traveler that I use for vacation and park hangs. I just got the Eldorado and its the best I've hung yet!
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

I finally took my XLC out last weekend. I LOVE this hammock. It was so easy to get a good hang, and it was so comfortable. I also really love how spacious it is on the inside. One cool thing I hadn't expected was how good a view you have out one side of the hammock. I thought switching from my Ridgerunner would mean no more good views from the hammock. The XLC really is such a clever design. The shelf was awesome for stashing my pillow and PJs/the next day's clothes.

Also, I thought it might be a minor annoyance to stake out the bugnet, but I was able to just clip the shockcord to my tarp, so it took about two seconds. I will have to adjust to hanging a longer hammock under my tarp however. I ended up with one end too close to the edge of the tarp (and was too lazy to fix it because the weather was good).

I also can't wait to get a new underquilt. Currently my only gathered-end style underquilt is a 0 degree Incubator. I didn't want to completely forgo an underquilt, but the 0 degree was a *little* much in humid, 90 degree weather, and I ended up shoving it half off. I'd like to get a 50 degree Yeti for 80+ weather, plus a 20 degree Wooki for fall/spring (and eventually a 0 degree Wooki for winter). Maybe I should just set up my paycheck to automatically deposit funds to Warbonnet every month!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think you got the Incubator on backwards...or is that on purpose to help vent?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I think you got the Incubator on backwards...or is that on purpose to help vent?
    Haha, I think you're right! No, I wasn't clever enough to do it on purpose. I had put the Incubator on down in my basement at around midnight the first time I slept in the XLC. I was trying to get to sleep, decided I was too cold without an underquilt, so I got it out and threw it on there quickly and sloppily. Then I packed the whole kit into into a catch-all sack for the overnight, so I never took the underquilt off. Thanks for pointing it out though! Even though it's far too warm for the quilt, it's still better to have it on correctly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Congrats on the new xlc! I have found nothing more comfortable (even our tempurpedic king size) when set up right. I've been wanting to check out a Sparrow but really can't justify the expense since this one is so great! Enjoy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast