Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt length guideline

Not another "what length underquilt" I hear you groan. Well this is a little different.

What I'm actually interested in is: is there a "rule of thumb" about length when it comes to full length underquilts? Something along the lines of "If you are X cm/inches tall then add Y cm/inches"? Obviously there's a maximum length imposed by the gather of the hammock, no point in insulating unused space but what about minimum/optimum?

Part of the reason for asking is that here in the UK getting Stateside goods can be an exercise in frustration and extra cost: a Hammockgear Incubator that sells for $379 will have $30 for postage (no problem with this, it's got to be paid somehow), then when it gets to the UK we pay 8% duty on that $309 then 20% VAT (sales tax) on that and then the carrier can charge $10-$20 "release fee" so that $379 becomes $410. Not cheap. There were some UK makers but they seem to have fallen by the wayside so there's just Cumulus based in Poland this side of the pond.

Their quilts are long. The full length quilts are 215cm (84") or 220cm (89") while their 3/4 length quilts are 180cm (71"). The latter is only 2" shorter than the short version of the Incubator.

I'm 180cm tall. Could I use the 3/4 as a full length? This is assuming that the head end is just to shoulder/neck and I use a pillow or jacket under my head. That would potentially give me 20cm (8") or so extra at the foot end. I do a lot of bikepacking so minimising bulk is quite important. Method to my madness or madness to my method?

I've a couple of Cumulus quilts and have no problem with their quality. I know that they do custom work on the quilts so I'm assuming that they would be prepared to do so on their underquilts if an extra 10cm or so would be beneficial but I haven't asked them yet.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I understand about the extra fees from ordering something here plus the longer wait. For cooler temperatures I prefer a full length UQ. Sounds like their 3/4 may be very close to a full length for you. I would be tempted to try it and see how it goes. You can always put something under your feet to help keep them warm where the UQ may not fully cover. If they are willing to add a little length to the UQ that would be the best route. It does not hurt to call and ask. I use a 3/4 quilt down to the mid 40’s. Any colder I make sure I use my full length UQ

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It all depends on how the quilt fits. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and the full length Incubator does a great job. The Short Incubator did not work. But a custom 62" Phincubator does great. It starts at my shoulders and goes about 1" past my foot.

I mention "fit" because the Incubator has the special cut for the body and leg area. Even though it covered my body completely, the short version was just an odd fit since the leg portion started too close to my butt and always created a cold gap.

I don't think other vendors have any kind of special cut, so any quilt that starts around your neck/shoulders and goes a little past your foot should work.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It all depends on how the quilt fits. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and the full length Incubator does a great job. The Short Incubator did not work. But a custom 62" Phincubator does great. It starts at my shoulders and goes about 1" past my foot.

I mention "fit" because the Incubator has the special cut for the body and leg area. Even though it covered my body completely, the short version was just an odd fit since the leg portion started too close to my butt and always created a cold gap.

I don't think other vendors have any kind of special cut, so any quilt that starts around your neck/shoulders and goes a little past your foot should work.
    I’m curious what the phincubator is? I’m assuming it’s a cross between the incubator and the Phoenix?
    Isn’t the short incubator a custom?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You'll occasionally see people like One-Click on HF struggling with UQ length, but I've personally never had any trouble. I buy what the vendor recommends. They have way more experience than I do. I'm 5'11" (could be 5'10" - I'm getting older and may have shrunk) and the standard length works great for me. I am personally uninterested in finding the perfect UQ length for my stature. I know what works for me - HG 20* 3/4 Phoenix for anything down to 30* F. If the temps are lower than that, I break out my HG 0* full-length Incubator. And if the temps are even lower than that, I'm stacking quilts!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-12-2020 at 21:05.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA72 View Post
    I’m curious what the phincubator is? I’m assuming it’s a cross between the incubator and the Phoenix?
    Isn’t the short incubator a custom?
    Thanks
    Yeah, Phincubator is a cross - for people who overthink things.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Hi to another uk Hanger

No frustration here with ordering, Hammock Gear 2 weeks to make, good communication and 2 days to post, quicker then buying in uk £44 import duty on UQ and TQ jobs a good un, by the way i am 5ft 10 and regular length incubator is spot on in my XLC. go for it its worth it for the good stuff you get across the pond
    the frustrating part for us in uk is not seeing the equipment before we buy it, you guys are lucky and can see and try out stuff at group hangs we dont generally have that luxury and cannot just send it back without a lot of cost but ha ho
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-13-2020 at 01:31.

@hangerdave - I've had mixed "results" in getting gear from the States, sometimes it's just the carrier's release fee, other times there's duty and VAT to pay as well. Just luck of the draw. The distance does make it awkward to deal with returns hence the large amount of prevarication I'm also semi-retired so need to be careful with money hence I'd rather get things right first time even if it takes a while to get there.

That's by the by.

The question is: If I'm X tall (cm or inches) then what minimum extra length - 'y' - do I look at for a quilt to be regarded as "full length"? So at 180cm(71") is 180cm enough or should I look at 190cm (75") or 2 metres (78")?

From @oneclick's
    so any quilt that starts around your neck/shoulders and goes a little past your foot should work.
    That would mean that a 180cm quilt would extend from my neck to around 20cm/8" past my feet. Sounds like that would that be sufficient - from a sample of n=1

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    The question is: If I'm X tall (cm or inches) then what minimum extra length - 'y' - do I look at for a quilt to be regarded as "full length"? So at 180cm(71") is 180cm enough or should I look at 190cm (75") or 2 metres (78")?

From @oneclick's

That would mean that a 180cm quilt would extend from my neck to around 20cm/8" past my feet. Sounds like that would that be sufficient - from a sample of n=1
    So I guess you're saying you don't trust the quilt makers to recommend the appropriate quilt length for you? I have six quilts from Hammock Gear (0*, 20* and 40*), and each time I called Adam to consult with him on my purchase. It wasn't always easy to reach him, but I persisted. You can ask the whole HF community about quilt length, but I would think the cottage vendors who make quilts will know more about it than somebody like me who owns just six quilts.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I can stick my feet in sewn footbox and the quilt covers my head with the regular incubator, I dont like it over my head as condensation goes into the quilt, but plenty long enough for Me,i do understand your concerns, you should have seen me buying my quilts and tarp lol,but between well travelled hangers on here and manufactures I got there and am happy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast