Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It's been rough time in Paris over the last few months so cut Rouskof a break. I get where's he's coming from. If you are a backpacker then Climashield is typically a no go due to compressibility. Plus the wine probably didn't help with the presentation

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Loco Libre makes an excellent down quilt for the Clark. I just packed up my two person vertex and two Clark underquilt that cover the entire bottom of the hammock body. This system is not for the UL backpacker and not compressed it filled a large duffle bag. I am okay with that verbiage, the Clark is a different market and I already sell down and UP underquilts.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    The flavor of the day is a RR. Got UQ for RR clamshell insulation from one of our cottage vendors. Top quality 3 season. Only used once & not ready to give review but, that one night, it did not seem as warm as the down from from another vendor for gather end hammocks. Don't get me wrong. It's top quality but, I don't think it's as warm.

Yep!!! I understand the wetter climate areas. For my area, I prefer down but, I'm also frugal. May love this as Times goes on but one night is just titillating me @ the moment to spend numerous nights using it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Feral View Post
    In England, near Sherwood forest where I live, it is constantly over 80 percent humidity and raining, down performs absolutely terribly and I outfit my gear accordingly - so I can understand completely what this is saying.
    There are times/places where CS (or other synthetic) is totally appropriate... here in the USA, for example, Pacific Northwest in springtime, especially along the coast. Super saturated water vapor, in the clouds, literally.

Photo... wetness from fog alone, saturating everything. Several days of this would be tough for any down, treated or not.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I agree with CMOULDER I feel my down items inhale moisture when we camp on the coast. Which gear I take is dictated by the conditions.

In my opinion down conforms to me in a way synthetics lack. My synthetic quilts are nice and do very well for me. Humidity level is the decision maker.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

I had a good laugh, thanks.
    Ok, sorry, maybe it was 1 am, but it's just that this sentence marketing the Clark synthetic underquults has not changed since it was on Clark's website like 4 years ago, and it just sounded weird to my ear imagining Dutch saying he believes synthetic insulation is the best for hammock camping. Clark never made any down underquilts. I myself tested their synthetic z liner and sent it back because it did not insulate one third of a down underquilt for the weight and bulk, apart from the fact that it sags under the hammock bed and leaves a gap of like one whole backpack of air there. Well Dutch if you want to continue selling this it's okay if people like it, but maybe you could propose an alternative for the people who want down, like making a link to Locolibre directly, or just proposing your own down alternative.
    Clark used to make a hammock call 'Double D' which was the vertex without the top cover. I have it and I can tell you it is ultralight for two people, only 860g and awesome to hike with with a beloved one, and you don't want to be cold in that case.
    I'm telling you this because I believe Clark's hammocks are awesome, it is just the insulation that is a big problem in my opinion. I am not looking for anything myself as I have everything I need already, I was just pondering and considering these products for future users.

Thanks all for the heads up about Paris and the wine and so forth, good to hear from you!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post

I had a good laugh, thanks.
    Ok, sorry, maybe it was 1 am, but it's just that this sentence marketing the Clark synthetic underquults has not changed since it was on Clark's website like 4 years ago, and it just sounded weird to my ear imagining Dutch saying he believes synthetic insulation is the best for hammock camping. Clark never made any down underquilts. I myself tested their synthetic z liner and sent it back because it did not insulate one third of a down underquilt for the weight and bulk, apart from the fact that it sags under the hammock bed and leaves a gap of like one whole backpack of air there. Well Dutch if you want to continue selling this it's okay if people like it, but maybe you could propose an alternative for the people who want down, like making a link to Locolibre directly, or just proposing your own down alternative.
    Clark used to make a hammock call 'Double D' which was the vertex without the top cover. I have it and I can tell you it is ultralight for two people, only 860g and awesome to hike with with a beloved one, and you don't want to be cold in that case.
    I'm telling you this because I believe Clark's hammocks are awesome, it is just the insulation that is a big problem in my opinion. I am not looking for anything myself as I have everything I need already, I was just pondering and considering these products for future users.

Thanks all for the heads up about Paris and the wine and so forth, good to hear from you!
    No worries on my side.
    I did not know the name of it but when I purchased Clark, there was a box of these "Double D" hammocks. I didn't know what to do with them and now i know. Change the name.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Oh sorry, actually it was "Double V", which makes more sense, as it is basically the Vertex.

I can guarantee of a great effect when you hike or cycle a full day and then set up this double hanging kingsize bed at some distance of a good bushcraft fire with some pot simmering there and already exhaling a good soup perfume. That exact combination can only stir the deepest philosophical reveries in an otherwise jolly hiker.

If you redesign the model in a way so that the space in between the two users is reduced, I would buy another one.

Last edited by Rouskof; 06-21-2020 at 11:10.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    actually she likes the fire more than the hammock right now

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    actually she likes the fire more than the hammock right now
    All the ingredients of a succesful hang in a triangular composition. There got to be something divine in the art of hammock camping!
    We were waken up by the squall of the dear later on, under a stary sky. Great experience for a first night!

I know what you're going to say : 'Yes but that's not bushcraft.' Well, that's romantic bushcraft. GLUSHCRAFT ! : )))

(from Glamping...)

I am good at marketing when it comes to luring someone into hammock camping.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 06-21-2020 at 12:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast