Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have their Tensa4 clamshell on them?

I have about 20 nights in my new Tensa4, and really like it. I prefer not to guy the head end, and have mostly been using netless hammocks with it. I swapped my Trail Lair onto it this afternoon, and closed the net up to check some top quilt fit dimensions, and while I was trying to unzip the net to exit the hammock, I suddenly ended up on the ground, with the stand closed up on one side of me. I must have forgotten to not cross the DMZ, while unzipping the net, and voila! It was a relatively slow descent, (relatively) followed by a loud crash, but neither I nor the stand or hammock were worse for wear. I felt a little silly, but then I thought, I bet my kids would enjoy going for a "Tensa ride", lol.

So, anyone else have this happen? Anyone willing to admit it? I know Shug did it on purpose.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Nope I never have. I put a tether on the head end though.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Has happened to me a couple few times, doing exactly the same thing: reaching for that bugnet zipper. Always fun. Yeah, I tend to hang a water bag off the head apex now: 1 fewer tripline.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 06-07-2020 at 22:19.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Has happened to me a couple few times, doing exactly the same thing: reaching for that bugnet zipper. Always fun. Yeah, I tend to hang a water bag off the head apex now: 1 less tripline.
    I figured you must have, at least in testing. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got ambushed by the bugnet zipper! I have a small water bottle hanging off the end, which probably contributed to the slower than gravity fall. Is there a weight that you know will prevent a clamshell? Say your body weight minus x? Probably not, since the movement is dynamic, but just curious.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I figured you must have, at least in testing. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got ambushed by the bugnet zipper! I have a small water bottle hanging off the end, which probably contributed to the slower than gravity fall. Is there a weight that you know will prevent a clamshell? Say your body weight minus x? Probably not, since the movement is dynamic, but just curious.
    No, too many variables along a continuum. More is better, except too much cuts into the total capacity and stresses the foot anchor.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I set up on beach line in the Everglades for 4 nights, and the full moon tide brought the beach break right up under me and at 2am washed my foot end stake out, and down I went. It sucked. But int get hurt so it wasn’t that bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set up quickly one night recently, covered in hundreds of bugs swarming around my head that we’re attracted to my headlamp. I anchored the foot end line around a small palm tree that tapered. Got in too quickly and the loop slipped up the tapered palm trunk...down I went, wasn’t hurt! It felt like I was lowered more than dropped.
    I do love my Tensa4.
    Last edited by MickOz; 06-09-2020 at 07:45.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I sacrificed myself......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Oh yeah, I did that once. The ride down was surprisingly slow and gentle but I landed badly on my shoulder (not sure how I managed that) and it didn't fit right for a week afterwards.

Hammock
    dutchware hexon
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    enlightened equip
    Suspension
    dutch buckles
    I had my Tensa Solo's do that to me once, my stakes came up during a night long downpour, the ground got really swampy and one of the poles collapsed. It lowered me slowly and I woke up on the way down. Got to the ground and one pole was still up, figured I had become a tent and I went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning to sunny skies and a mostly dry underquilt.
    Long time lurker, been hammock camping for about 4 or 5 years now and love it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast