Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Question

I recently bought my first hammock (a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe)! When I hung it, it felt a bit small on a diagonal lay. I measured the ridge line (from loop to loop) and came up with a little under 100 inches. Measuring from gathered end to gathered end comes to right at 10 feet. This is supposed to be an 11 foot hammock and my question is does that sound right?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    joelolly86, Welcome to the forum

How tall are you? If on the plus side of 6 ft, that Explorer could feel a bit small.

My experience with different sized hammocks is they are a lot like anything else - estimates and approximates. Just like a 2 x 4 can be as small as 1.5 x 3.5 and still be called a 2 x 4, and clothes from different manufacturers can be labeled the same size but are clearly not when you try them on, So a “size” can be less than precise.

For example, the Explorer is listed at 130 inches - that’s 10.8 ft. Now you see that knob on each end - that’s fabric. And that .8 ft is about 9 inches or 4.5 inches for each end. So it might be that completely unravelled, the material is 130 inches. In fact, the specs on that model says the bottom FABRIC is 130 inches, not the “hammock”. As an aside, the website listed Explorer with XL after it. So I’m guessing there isn’t a NON-XL Explorer and it’s just XL compared to the Expedition (which is only 119 inches). And it says it’s foot longer than the Expedition which is more like a 9 ft hammock. As with the Explorer, the listed 119 inches is bottom fabric length.

Some 11 ft hammocks I’ve acquired have measured out to a little over 10.5 ft - enough to round up to 11 ft. As with your Explorer, it could be that for those hammocks, the material was 11 ft. long before the gathered end knob was made.
    The Explorer retails for $199. t for that amount of money you have a lot of choices and should find something that doesn’t leave you feeling cramped - many options described in these threads.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the HH per say. I, and many others started out with a Hennessy. But I’m a short dude. Most hammocks feel big to me. I have to bring my GPS in the BIAS Camper XL in order to find my way out. And when I switched from a HH Expedition to the 12 ft HH Survivor (no longer made), I thought I’d have to register it as a separate country.

So sizes are iffy. More important is, “Can you get comfortable in it?”

Because you are good with number and measurements, note that the suggested sag (distance between ends when set up) for a hammock is 83% of total length (More like 83% - 86%; but again, a suggestion, not a rule). So note that your 100 inch ridge line comes out to 8.3 ft or 83% of 10 ft.

So the only rain fly in the ointment is “This is supposed to be an 11 ft hammock …” Again, I didn’t see anything in the web page description that said the Explorer was an “11 ft hammock”.

If you consider the Explorer a 10 ft hammock - which it seem to be - all the numbers line up.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-07-2020 at 22:45.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    joelolly86, Welcome to the forum

How tall are you? If on the plus side of 6 ft, that Explorer could feel a bit small.

My experience with different sized hammocks is they are a lot like anything else - estimates and approximates. Just like a 2 x 4 can be as small as 1.5 x 3.5 and still be called a 2 x 4, and clothes from different manufacturers can be labeled the same size but are clearly not when you try them on, So a “size” can be less than precise.

For example, the Explorer is listed at 130 inches - that’s 10.8 ft. Now you see that knob on each end - that’s fabric. And that .8 ft is about 9 inches or 4.5 inches for each end. So it might be that completely unravelled, the material is 130 inches. In fact, the specs on that model says the bottom FABRIC is 130 inches, not the “hammock”. As an aside, the website listed Explorer with XL after it. So I’m guessing there isn’t a NON-XL Explorer and it’s just XL compared to the Expedition (which is only 119 inches). And it says it’s foot longer than the Expedition which is more like a 9 ft hammock. As with the Explorer, the listed 119 inches is bottom fabric length.

Some 11 ft hammocks I’ve acquired have measured out to a little over 10.5 ft - enough to round up to 11 ft. As with your Explorer, it could be that for those hammocks, the material was 11 ft. long before the gathered end knob was made.
    The Explorer retails for $199. t for that amount of money you have a lot of choices and should find something that doesn’t leave you feeling cramped - many options described in these threads.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the HH per say. I, and many others started out with a Hennessy. But I’m a short dude. Most hammocks feel big to me. I have to bring my GPS in the BIAS Camper XL in order to find my way out. And when I switched from a HH Expedition to the 12 ft HH Survivor (no longer made), I thought I’d have to register it as a separate country.

So sizes are iffy. More important is, “Can you get comfortable in it?”

Because you are good with number and measurements, note that the suggested sag (distance between ends when set up) for a hammock is 83% of total length (More like 83% - 86%; but again, a suggestion, not a rule). So note that your 100 inch ridge line comes out to 8.3 ft or 83% of 10 ft.

So the only rain fly in the ointment is “This is supposed to be an 11 ft hammock …” Again, I didn’t see anything in the web page description that said the Explorer was an “11 ft hammock”.

If you consider the Explorer a 10 ft hammock - which it seem to be - all the numbers line up.

I appreciate this comment as it makes enough sense to me! I'm going to try and get better with hanging that hammock and see if that makes any difference. I am 6'1'' on a good day and I'm not necessarily uncomfortable in this hammock, I just get a bit obsessive with new toys haha. I live in South Mississippi, so wasn't able to get out much this weekend with the weather and all, but plan on playing around a little more with this later this week. Thank you again for the info/advice and I'm glad to have stumbled across this site!

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I started with a Hennessey Explorer Delux Zip & hex tarp. Was 6' on the good day & 180 then (130 now). It took me several overnights to get adjusted to it & a proper hang. Their good hammocks.

I may be in a minority but, most all gathered end hammocks sleeps similar with drawbacks of to short for the cheaper ones. Floppy material with the wider ones. Fabrick stretch differences etc but all are better than a tent.

Price wise their a good deal as buying a hammock, bug net, suspension, rain fly etc can run more than the HH. I wanted to get it all in one package & not piece part it when I bought mine. Didn't know if I would like a hammock & that was a decent price for everything but insulation.

I have over 20 hammocks now & Grandboys use them. I lost my bladder & have a stoma & pouch. Had to go to a bridge hammock (RR) because of the low sides for my nightly drainage bag. Trying to get acclimated to it & really miss the gathered end hammocks.

I am not & do not hike. I camp on my farm & travel on a motorcycle all over the US so weight is not a factor in anything I own.
    You will get as many opinions here as there are members. Including mine. Just hang, get use to it & in a year or so you will pass it down & have a new $600 plus outfit & love it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I'm a short dude 5' 8. Deluxe was my first. Still find it comfortable. I would try to hang the foot end a tad higher than the head in. Make sure you're not hanging it too tight. Should be able to bend Ridgeline with fingers. Hanging a little loose hepls you get the lay feel a little better. Since it's asym, try getting your shoulder close to the dip where Skeeter slinks by the tie out. Might help you get dialed in.

• + New Posts