Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The small doors on the M/T/M Fly tarps encourage the use of an UQP. For me, the extra oz is with it. And your setup that had the wind blowing directly into the tarp ends is one of the poster children for using the UQP (there are other reasons too). Even if you didn’t initially setup parallel to the wind, it can, and does, change.

Another solution is to carry a full door tarp, but you are just trading oz for oz. No “right” or perfect choice, I consider the UQP as an “in between” solution from the open Asymmetrical to the fully closed door hex/rectangular tarp
    Thanks. I do have an UQP already because of when I go out in the winter. I have a full length 20* and a 3/4 40* quilt that I stack in the winter with a 0* TQ. When I put the UQP on I have been able to get down to single digits with the setup. Well that and a heated water bottle.

My issues with doors is I hate to open them up in the middle of the night plus I like to be able to see out from under the tarp from one side of the tarp. I just don’t care to be closed in. I hang my basically empty pack off of my ridge line at the head of my hammock which helps block the wind and rain if it is bad.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Well I saw that m00ch posted looking for a HG CF tarp. He was looking for what I had so I took it as a sign and sold it to him. Now I just need to decide MF or TF.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    For me, I go large. Yes its bulkier and heavier and the doors can flap in the wind requiring tie offs, but. When the wind kicks up and the rain is horizontal, I have a better chance of staying warm and dry because I have more coverage. Not a guarantee but a better chance. I spent about 2 hours one night in the pit toilet because my quilt got wet in horizontal rain. Now I put out all my stakes with the lines attached. It only takes about 60 seconds to deploy and tie off the rest of the tarp in the dark.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Hang View Post
    Thanks. I do have an UQP already because of when I go out in the winter. I have a full length 20* and a 3/4 40* quilt that I stack in the winter with a 0* TQ. When I put the UQP on I have been able to get down to single digits with the setup. Well that and a heated water bottle.

My issues with doors is I hate to open them up in the middle of the night plus I like to be able to see out from under the tarp from one side of the tarp. I just don’t care to be closed in. I hang my basically empty pack off of my ridge line at the head of my hammock which helps block the wind and rain if it is bad.
    I'd say go with the Thunderfly then. It's 103" wide and I can peek out under it if its not pitched too low. The Mountainfly is 10' wide, same as the Superfly. You got a UQP, which should provide additional wind protection to make up for the smaller coverage with the Thunderfly. With the beaks deployed, I can duck under them. Otherwise, I just clip them to the tarp ridgeline. I'll use a trekking pole to raise up the foot end of the tarp, with another over top to to open up the tarp.

2019-02-22_17-14-34_976 (3).jpg

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I went with the Thunder Fly. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives!

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Think you will be very pleased, i was so nearly tempted in the sale recently

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    My TF got a large tear from a bungee launched stake last year. (No more bungees) Bought the Hammock Gear Journey to replace it. The Journey is great, doors and a foot longer.
    Fast forward 1 yr. Family camping trip. Daughter, 15 used the Journey with the Danger Bird and I used the repaired Thunder Fly. Think I'll order another TF. I just like it better. Not to big not to small, just right.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Note that with full sized doors, you don’t have to close both end (depending upon weather or whether you want to). But the ThunderFly is a good general purpose tarp. I have one. I also got a mini-fly but I’m a little disappointed I didn’t wait until I could order one with custom fabric from RSBTR - like a winter camo. The mini-fly was sort of an “always in your pack” sort of thing. But it is 11 ft long. The Dutch Asymmetic I use for day hike, because of it’s optional attachment points, can be rigged up to only be 9 ft long. On day hikes it’s main purpose is a sunshined. Sometimes only one half - using snake skins - needs to be deployed.

I used the Thunder fly in a pretty good downpour on Pirates Cove (east of LadySmith, Vancouver Island) and it kept me dry. Orientation is important and on that trip I found it was better to be parallel with the wind. Even though the “doors” are small, the trees offer some blockage. When I was broadside, the wind was so strong it was pushing the sides into me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123