Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ

Superfly vs Mountainfly or Thunderfly

Currently I have a HG CF tarp. I really like it but I am not able to hike the distances that I used to. With my new distance limits I do not need to worry about the weight savings by using CF as much anymore.

I used to have a Superfly and liked it but felt is was a little too big at times. I am contemplating getting rid of the CF tarp and going back to a Warbonet tarp. In addition to the Superfly they also have the Mountainfly and Thunderfly. Since the SF was a little big for me before would I be in the same boat with the MF feeling that it might be a little big for me? I usually do not close my doors unless it is raining bad.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have switched from a SF to a MF or TF. What did you like about changing and what did you not like? Did they perform better than your SF?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pretty much looking at smaller sides with Thunderfly and beaks.
    Mountinfly is about same size as the Superfly but instead of doors it has beaks.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug i apprecate everything and your videos!

But i recently picked up a minifly myself real nice seems plenty big enough honestly. but can understand the full coverage nature. essentialy what area of tarp are you looking for? I got the mini fly to be my smaller nice weather tarp. I have a 13 ft long with 8.5ft sides tarp for worse weather

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    It kinda sounds like you answered your own question to me - too big leads you to the Thunderfly.

I switched from the HG Palace to the Mountainfly for smaller pack volume. I'm UL, so LOVED the weight, but didn't mind about doubling the weight since I'm not very heavy elsewhere. VERY happy I made the change.

Sacrifices for me:
    -gained weight
    - lost full doors
    - Palace was easier to patch if need be (though never needed to)
    -Sil isn't as sexy as DCF

Wins for me:
    -smaller pack volume
    -easier entry/exit due to smaller doors (beaks)
    -bought more toys with the funds from selling the Palace and buying the T-fly on sale!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have the thunderFly and SuperFly. The SF is used for the ridge runner and another tarp that size would be used in winter or if I anticipated - like actually predicted - bad weather. The TF is taking the place of a HH Hex I sold a while ago. I’d say the MiniFly would be used for day hikes but the DutchWare Asymmetric tarp can be rigged so it only needs about a 9 ft ridge line. On day hikes I’m mostly trying to block sunlight in the eyes and protect agains bird droppings, so that dutchware trap is pretty sweet. During the winter, when XC skiing, I’d have the MiniFly in my day pack.

A large part of the decision is influenced the outing being solo of if I’ll have someone with me. Like how many are going to be under that tarp when used as just as an out-of-the-rain shelter, not necessarily for overnight camping.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Thanks for the video Shug. I enjoy watching your videos. You give good no nonsense info.i was sensing that the Mountainfly was very similar to the Superfly

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Do you mind not having the full door Otter1, especially in bad weather? I understand about being lightweight. I got myself down to under 9 lb base weight for a weeklong three season hike. There is an appeal about less volume for a TF. The CF does not pack down that much.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Surprisingly No!!!

I moved from the HG Standard to the Palace due to one particularly sudden and violent storm on the Pinhoti Trail. Sideways wind while hanging on a Ridge got me wet. I've never been sorry I have all that extra side coverage.

As for the doors, I find that the "almost" doors of the Mountainfly are enough (in conjunction w/the trees) to prevent the hammock or underquilt from getting wet. I've been very happy since there just isn't much room for windblown rain to hit the parts I want to keep dry. And that ease of entry/exit!!! I was not expecting how much I'd appreciate that.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Surprisingly No!!!

I moved from the HG Standard to the Palace due to one particularly sudden and violent storm on the Pinhoti Trail. Sideways wind while hanging on a Ridge got me wet. I've never been sorry I have all that extra side coverage.

As for the doors, I find that the "almost" doors of the Mountainfly are enough (in conjunction w/the trees) to prevent the hammock or underquilt from getting wet. I've been very happy since there just isn't much room for windblown rain to hit the parts I want to keep dry. And that ease of entry/exit!!! I was not expecting how much I'd appreciate that.
    I appreciate the feedback. My cf tarp may be goingup for sale.

I went back and forth on the Mountainfly vs Thunderfly. I watched Shug's FANTASTIC comparison video multiple times. Many days and weeks went by and I could never decide. It truly was decision paralysis.

So I bought some silpoly from RSBTR and combined the two models: wider walls of the Mountainfly and smaller doors/beaks of the Thunderfly. LOL.

I know this post probably does not help your decision (sorry). For me, I wanted the wider walls but not necessarily the longer beaks. Looking back, I literally would have been fine with either model.

(BTW, I ended up lowering the poles in that 2nd photo but did not get an updated pic. I may have unclipped the doors too. If I had left it as is, there definitely would have been water pooling with any rain.)

20200203_cliffs_neuse_tarp_0005.jpg

20200203_cliffs_neuse_tarp_0026.jpg

20200203_cliffs_neuse_tarp_0004.jpg
    Last edited by mando; 06-08-2020 at 08:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast