DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mando View Post
    I went back and forth on the Mountainfly vs Thunderfly. I watched Shug's comparison video multiple times. I could never decide so I bought some silpoly and combined the two models: wider walls of the Mountainfly and smaller doors/beaks of the Thunderfly.
    Very nice!

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by mando View Post
    I went back and forth on the Mountainfly vs Thunderfly. I watched Shug's FANTASTIC comparison video multiple times. Many days and weeks went by and I could never decide. It truly was decision paralysis.

So I bought some silpoly from RSBTR and combined the two models: wider walls of the Mountainfly and smaller doors/beaks of the Thunderfly. LOL.

I know this post probably does not help your decision (sorry). For me, I wanted the wider walls but not necessarily the longer beaks. Looking back, I literally would have been fine with either model.

(BTW, I ended up lowering the poles in that 2nd photo but did not get an updated pic. I may have unclipped the doors too. If I had left it as is, there definitely would have been water pooling with any rain.)

Attachment 181033

Attachment 181034

Attachment 181035
    Great job on the tarp! You sound like me trying to modify, tweak and change what is out there. I don’t have much in the way of sewing skills. The machine I have is more suited for heavier fabrics and smaller projects. I am afraid if I tried to sew up a tarp I would end up all wrapped up in it like a cocoon.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I wonder if WB would offer these with DCF? Especially the Mini/Thunderfly models.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Hang View Post
    The machine I have is more suited for heavier fabrics and smaller projects. I am afraid if I tried to sew up a tarp I would end up all wrapped up in it like a cocoon.
    I hear you on modifying what is already available.

I used my wife’s sewing machine would would prefer a machine that is beefier. It was definitely a TON of fabric on the kitchen table. It was all over and spilling onto the floor. Haha. I’m glad I took on this project and now I have a closer connection with my gear.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I wonder if WB would offer these with DCF? Especially the Mini/Thunderfly models.
    I am not sure if they would want to do that. You could always call and ask. I am not worried about the weight of my tarp anymore so I would not want to spend the extra for the weight savings.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    After all that I told you above, please don't think I'm hypocritical: I also have a Thunderfly that I picked up cheap, second hand

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I was in my lightweight mind set (12.5 lbs base weight) for a trip that I took last weekend and got burned a little bit by skimping on my tarp. Let me say first that the location of my hang was a choice and I could have found another site with better protection, but the weather was getting bad and I decided to make it work. Only choice at this site was to have the end of my Mountainfly facing the wind coming over the top of a knob. I knew the weather was going to be rainy before I left, but thought that I would challenge myself even though I could have taken any of my 6 tarps ranging from full on fortress to simple hex. Stuff got a little damp and I had the occasional gust come through under my underquilt, but wasn't ever a real concern. In the end, though, I think that the couple extra grams of doors are worth it to me.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    After all that I told you above, please don't think I'm hypocritical: I also have a Thunderfly that I picked up cheap, second hand
    I did not think that at all. I like hearing your opinion and why you made the choices you did.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I was in my lightweight mind set (12.5 lbs base weight) for a trip that I took last weekend and got burned a little bit by skimping on my tarp. Let me say first that the location of my hang was a choice and I could have found another site with better protection, but the weather was getting bad and I decided to make it work. Only choice at this site was to have the end of my Mountainfly facing the wind coming over the top of a knob. I knew the weather was going to be rainy before I left, but thought that I would challenge myself even though I could have taken any of my 6 tarps ranging from full on fortress to simple hex. Stuff got a little damp and I had the occasional gust come through under my underquilt, but wasn't ever a real concern. In the end, though, I think that the couple extra grams of doors are worth it to me.
    I appreciate the input. This would be my one tarp so it would need to deal with all kinds of weather. My longer distance hiking is over with so I only need to deal with a couple of days at a time. My base weight was down just under 10 pounds for a three season hike. It is tough keeping the weight down but much more enjoyable on the body!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The small doors on the M/T/M Fly tarps encourage the use of an UQP. For me, the extra oz is with it. And your setup that had the wind blowing directly into the tarp ends is one of the poster children for using the UQP (there are other reasons too). Even if you didn’t initially setup parallel to the wind, it can, and does, change.

Another solution is to carry a full door tarp, but you are just trading oz for oz. No “right” or perfect choice, I consider the UQP as an “in between” solution from the open Asymmetrical to the fully closed door hex/rectangular tarp
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast