Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Nice video, and an amazing trip. I know you said you'd never do it again but I suspect you're glad you did it. An adventure you won't forget, that's for sure. Thanks for bringing us along.

How did your filter fare with the dirty river water afterward? Did you have to back- flush a lot? Did the carbon filter clean up the taste well enough?
    It's hard to explain...fun half the time, grueling long stretches in the sun others, hard portages, mix in some amazing views and wildlife, nice camp sites. Lots of cool history too so I'm definitely glad I did it. I think doing it again wouldn't be because of the effort; I could go again in April and let that current push me the whole way and not sweat buckets. It's just the fact I'd be seeing all the same stuff again, like watching a movie twice that you didn't like the first time. But not that I didn't like this trip...if that makes sense?

I guess going with another person or small group would definitely be possible. Especially now that I know what I'm in for and could act as a guide. Before this trip, not knowing exactly where to camp, what the rapids would be like, and how the water levels would be caused some anxiety.

The water was absolutely perfect with no flavor or stomach issues so far. I didn't backflush at all but only filtered about 6L. I'm a big believer in filters and always trust them to get the pathogens out. But this river has to be full of chemicals from all the farm land so that's what I was worried about. Most plant crops 2 feet from the bank. No erosion control practices. 2,4-D, atrazine, etc. all being pumped down river. I guess "the dose makes the poison" comes into play if this stuff is getting diluted after 80 miles. I think the activated carbon helps with some of that stuff.

I have to call it a 100% success other than the vending machine hiccup. Literally a few sprinkles of rain for 30 seconds over 5 days...hard to get that in early June! Also very good practice for video and learning to edit when I got home. I always prefer photography, but this could get me into video more going forward. I was going to get a GoPro, but the iPhone 8 did a great job. I don't even have it set on the highest quality.
    Last edited by OneClick; 06-12-2020 at 08:17.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Wow! Nice trip report.. and pictures. Will be watching the full length video throughout my workday today.. lol. So far what ive seen is awesome.. im loving it!!! Thanks for sharing.. and keep the videos coming.. i just subscribed!!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Wow! Nice trip report.. and pictures. Will be watching the full length video throughout my workday today.. lol. So far what ive seen is awesome.. im loving it!!! Thanks for sharing.. and keep the videos coming.. i just subscribed!!!
    Thanks, it means a lot! I now know how much work goes into a video. Having a small tripod on the kayak made it easy and hands free. Not sure I will do more while hiking since it sorta takes away from the trip. On this one I needed something to occupy my mind on long days, so taking video and photos worked out well. We'll see. Maybe some ~10 minute videos in the future if I go anywhere exciting.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    True. I do my short trip videos basically for myself, friends and family. I love taking pictures.. so using my phone to hit the record button for a few seconds here and there does not really hinder me much. It also gives me something to always look back on and watch.. like a live motion photo album. I have so many photo albums.. boxes of them.. and i wish i had action footage of all those trips in passed years that i could sit back and watch.. especially during times i can not be out there and be free.. i love to re live those moments and re set my mind.
    Anyway.. ill say it again.. nice trip report and video.. thanks for taking the time to put it together..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks! I love photos but since selling all my photography gear, I think I enjoy it even more. It's never the main focus of any outing, even though I do come with with 200+ photos from my iPhone every time. I have to say, the photos took a back seat to the video this time. It was just nice recording and letting it go while I paddled. I didn't expect to have much more than a few shoddy clips when returning, but things seem to really add up over several days.

5 days isn't long, but longer than my usual trips. I can totally see how people have a hard time adjusting back to normal after a long thru-hike. You get into a routine, it becomes your home, you have a very specific goal to obtain. Then it suddenly pops like a bubble. I'm taking the kayak out after work today to sort of relax and replay the trip a little.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Hi, Mark, Glad to here your trip went well. Things generally turn out better than you think,pre trip.
    Next week going to the UP and paddle the Keweenaw Water Trail. Going to spend 2 weeks, no twenty mile days. Come on for a little lake superior trip.
    The first week in September going to the point in Pittsburgh and starting the Ohio river. Almost 1,000 miles and 20 locks. Leaving with 14 days of food and between 4 to 5 gallons of water. Not even taking a water filter I will not drink the river water. To many places to water up going down the river. When I run out of food, just stop in town for a resupply. Will only have the hammock. If you want to join up for a few days come. Show you about going through a lock and dam. I here Cincinnati to Louisville is not bad.
    Dogger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like some good times Dogger!! I almost called you today about kayaking out to North Manitou. But I also need to save vacation for our winter outings and hot tents. Decisions!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    Looks like a great trip, I enjoyed your video and pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mo_hunter View Post
    Looks like a great trip, I enjoyed your video and pics!
    Thanks! I always made fun of videos...especially long ones. Ironically that's exactly what I dished out! Good learning experience if I ever do more in the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123