WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps

full doors

I have just ordered a winterdream 11ft, I have always used hex tarp but wanted the doors full or half for my next tarp, went with full doors in the end but just wondered what you do with your doors at night, worried now about getting pass the doors on toilet break in the night i am pretty out of it and just imagine myself tripping arse over head on shock cord across doorway, the doors have snaps but liked the shock cord and mitten hook trick as well, wondering how other hangers has sussed it out for quick loo breaks, and how many times have you tripped getting out over lol
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-06-2020 at 11:34.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There's a reason shock cord is preferred for doors instead of rigid line, LOL.
    I deploy my doors only as needed for weather. I usually have them tied together from each end of the hammock. I tie them such that they are on the underside, where I can deploy them while staying dry if weather deteriorates.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    I only got them with doors so I am not caught out in wind driven rain, better to have them and not use them then other way around, most of the time they will be open for me as well,just wondered what everybody does, I know a lot of people are hanging in winter so they have the doors figured out how they want by now ,i might leave then open without snaps done up (unless squall coming through) and just clip them at bottom from inside for convenience
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-06-2020 at 11:41.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    in the winter I leave my door is closed and I just duck under, but then unlike a lot of people I don't pitch my tarp way down close to the ground in the winter.

in the summer I usually leave my doors deployed as extensions to the side panels. I usually don't have to close them in the summer unless there's some severe side blowing rain.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There is no rule that requires both doors on one side to be closed. You could just close one door if you want a little blockage from a bright moon or breeze; use the other open side as an exit.

Reflective cord is great. That stuff is BRIGHT when the flashlight hits it the right way. And that was a pleasant surprise. I was afraid it would be an eyesore for the whole camp, but you don’t see the reflection unless it is illuminated and viewed from the right angle (not “a right angle). When coming back from a “water break” at night, so nice to have those lines lit up.

One recommendation was to put about 1.5 ft bungee cord, terminated with a mitten hook (cut off the tongue) at each corner. The idea is to use enough so you can connect both bungees together on one side to hold them out of the way when not needed. Or, when closed, the bungee on on side crosses over to the other side - at the ends - to connect to the guy stake.

If doors are needed because of the weather, it seems it is mostly needed at only one end - not taking about winter where you are trying to maintain an envelope of warmth - so you just exit out the open end.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Mike's correct about shock cord! Even when I used my Palace I used "heavy" shock cord for ease of entry/exit.

Partial doors (I have the Thunderfly) have been a true happy medium for me. So easy to get under, but enough weather protection for really bad storms. Between the trees at each end and the partial doors, rain does NOT hit what I want dry.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Thanks a lot, the moon sure does look big and bright on some nights, one end shut sounds good and the other open and bungeed back, def wont be in winter its just we have some pretty foul wind and rain in good old uk. I love my country its so beautiful but it does rain a fair bit
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-06-2020 at 13:52.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use office binder clips to hold my doors. Roll 'em up and put the binder on.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Thanks Shug,i had seen your Binders lol,thanks everybody for all your inputs, when I get it will play around to see which method I fall over first

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Most of the time my doors are tied back using the little ribbons HG adds to the DCF tarps. It takes a few minutes longer to roll them under instead of over but it it should rain with the doors tied open water is less likely to get into the rolled doors. (I realize this might take a picture to clarify)

When open I too use shock cord, but I've added a Lineloc hook to each door and use a bit longer length of shock cord. This seams to give me a little more adjustability and prevents the doors from being either pulled too tight or left too lose. Pretty sure I am using 3/32" shock cord.

Sometimes I just step on the shock cord when going in and out rather than trying to negotiate going over or unclipping. If I am using the HG Standard w/ doors, I can usually duck under the side even when it's pitched low and tight. No so with the Palace. Truth told, the Palace rubs me wrong and I might replace it with something else (Z-Packs, Lite AF). Not looking to reopen the 'overlapping doors' debate, but for as well designed as all the HG gear is, the Palace door design falls short IMHO.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast