Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ultralight suspension - hardware vs knots

Hi All,

I apologize for a topic that I'm sure has been done to death, but I'm just looking for confirmation or correction on my research before I make a purchase. I'm buying my first hammock - a WB XLC or Eldorado and am trying to stay as UL as possible but the idea of relying on my knot skills causes some anxiety, and ease of setup is important too.

In looking at suspensions, it seems like the lightest ones are knot-based with dyneema straps (whoopie + dyneema straps + Marlinspike Hitch + optional hardware 2.35 oz). Is this because there isn't any hardware out there currently that will work with dyneema? (other than proprietary Sea to Summit).

Is the lightest/easiest that I can get without knots the beetle buckle system? (spider/poly strap + beetle buckle + optional hardware 5.42 oz) I do like that this can be used with a 2 person setup in the future.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I think tree strap directly to the hammock continuous loop is the lightest. Like a Becket Hitch (there are others as well).

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Nama Claws seem to work just fine with 1.75mm dyneema cord. You can go lighter and lighter - but there’s a price to pay; not only in dollars for lighter gear but in speed and convenience.

For example, Though I can get close to a desired height, there is usually some adjustment to the connection point of the hammock suspension. If I have to move that strap up or down - especially if I have to cross over a branch - it is much easier to unclip the strap, move it, and reclip, then it is to pull the strap all or part way out of the loop so it can be moved up or down. And even if you are working with knots, a general rule is it’s much easier to work with larger diameter (larger than 1.74mm) cord. And prusiks like to grab larger diameter cord than what is used for the prusik itself.

There are lots of places to cut some weight in your full pack of gear. For me, simplicity and reliability overrule a few extra ounces any day.

The downside to the whoopie sling is the additional distance overhead it adds to the tree spacing. The further apart the trees, the higher you have to connect to get the best angle. If you are on the tall side, that probably doesn’t matter.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by MNMike88 View Post
    I'm buying my first hammock - a WB XLC or Eldorado and am trying to stay as UL as possible but the idea of relying on my knot skills causes some anxiety, and ease of setup is important too.

In looking at suspensions, it seems like the lightest ones are knot-based with dyneema straps (whoopie + dyneema straps + Marlinspike Hitch + optional hardware 2.35 oz).
    Unless you need velcro shoes, theres no need to get anxious about the MS hitch.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The downside to the whoopie sling is the additional distance overhead it adds to the tree spacing.
    That doesn't make any sense to me.
    The height required is going to be the same whatever method you use... Or am I missing something?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The length of the bury affects the overall length of the whoopie sling. Some sets of trees won't work with whoopies whereas you can with a different hammock suspension.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Dyneema webbing such as Venom, Dutch spider, WB Dynaweave, Myerstech are the absolute lightest 'out there' but they have a nasty habit of bunching up under load, becoming essentially a cord in their form and handling characteristics.

If you go the strap/knot route I'd suggest going with 3.3 Kevlar, using an Evo loop or a slipped buntline hitch at the tree end and a J-Bend, Becket hitch or slipped Lapp Hitch (simplest knot on planet Earth) on the CL end.

Practice tying knots while watching TV. Tie a new knot about 100 times and muscle memory really kicks in and you can tie it without even looking.

Hey, every 5-year-old learns to tie a double-slipped reef bend so we can handle this.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The length of the bury affects the overall length of the whoopie sling. Some sets of trees won't work with whoopies whereas you can with a different hammock suspension.
    If the trees are too close to use a whoopie at its shortest length, I double up the whoopie to shorten it.

Or you can miss out the whoopie and hook the CL straight onto the strap toggle.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Slipped Lapp Hitch is hard to find even w/Google, so here it is.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed View Post
    If the trees are too close to use a whoopie at its shortest length, I double up the whoopie to shorten it.

Or you can miss out the whoopie and hook the CL straight onto the strap toggle.
    Alternately, if you know how to make your own whoopies you can place the bury very close to the fixed eye. I've got a pair like that (somewhere in the attic ) that shorten down to about 14" or so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast