HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    You're welcome.

And... Welcome! Post #1!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    If you want to use knots and are worried about forgetting how to tie, just make a quick video on your phone and save it in your photo folder.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB UQ and TQ 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I think tree strap directly to the hammock continuous loop is the lightest. Like a Becket Hitch (there are others as well).
    This is where I landed as well after some experimentation. I got two dyneema tree straps and two titanium Fish Hooks from Warbonnet for my BB XLC. Tree strap attached around tree using fish hook. Then tree strap passed through hammock’s continous loop and secured with a doubled up Becket hitch. Super easy set up and take down, light and easy to adjust for right angle. There are good videos on the WB site how to do these steps too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It would be fun to get everyone in the forum to crowdsource a Pugh Matrix or similar tool to help people make decisions about their hammock suspensions. Criteria could be cost, weight, ease of use, ... I see a spreadsheet where members could change the weights of each criterion to match their personal preferences.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    It would be fun to get everyone in the forum to crowdsource a Pugh Matrix or similar tool to help people make decisions about their hammock suspensions. Criteria could be cost, weight, ease of use, ... I see a spreadsheet where members could change the weights of each criterion to match their personal preferences.
    In the end I think we would discover that the process is so subjective that it does not lend itself to Boolean solutions.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    As a hiker who likes to watch her weight (in a COMPLETELY different context than all of my friends), I’ve hiked using both the tree huggers/whoopie sling/MSH combo and the Becket hitch to tree strap combo, and while the MSH/whoopie sling looks cool, and has the illusion of being more versatile, I’ve found that, in practice, the Becket hitch directly to tree straps is the simplest and most secure (at least in my case) way to go. Two 15’ tree straps, like Dutch’s spider web, is just a few grams heavier than my 7/64 whoopie slings. Adding in a few feet of tree huggers, the weight difference between the two is negligible. For the convenience factor, however, I’ve found that tying a quick Becket hitch takes much less time for me than doing a MSH on one end, hanging the whoopie sling, doing the same on the other end, going back to the first (to make sure nothing shifted while I was setting up the other side), etc. A Becket hitch takes just a second or two, and is easily adjustable. In my case, I’ve found that it cuts down on the fiddle factor IMMENSELY. Ymmv.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's a good recap of the way my approach evolved toward ever more simple solutions, until it couldn't get any simpler.

For me, anyway.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In the end I think we would discover that the process is so subjective that it does not lend itself to Boolean solutions.
    Agreed, although the advantage of a tool like a Pugh matrix would be that users could change the weighting of each criterion to match their own preferences, accounting for that subjective aspect in a way maybe.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

I use the Dutchware Whoopie Hooks. 7.9g for the pair, & they make setting up a breeze. One of those things where the first time I ever used them, I couldn't imagine why I would ever go another way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234