SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I am trying a new UL set up I got from Myerstech. I practiced a bit with it earlier today, getting ready for a couple of days in Arkansas.

I'm using a set of his 15' dyneema straps with EVO loops (1.8 oz) & replaced my hammock CL's with his version, which has two loops separated by a diamond knot. They attach to the straps with a becket hitch & the knot keeps the the dyneema from slipping. When you're ready to take down the hammock, the thumb loop gives you leverage to get the becket hitch undone without any struggle. Pretty slick & no hardware... me likey.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MNMike88 View Post
    Hi All,

I apologize for a topic that I'm sure has been done to death, but I'm just looking for confirmation or correction on my research before I make a purchase. I'm buying my first hammock - a WB XLC or Eldorado and am trying to stay as UL as possible but the idea of relying on my knot skills causes some anxiety, and ease of setup is important too.

In looking at suspensions, it seems like the lightest ones are knot-based with dyneema straps (whoopie + dyneema straps + Marlinspike Hitch + optional hardware 2.35 oz). Is this because there isn't any hardware out there currently that will work with dyneema? (other than proprietary Sea to Summit).

Is the lightest/easiest that I can get without knots the beetle buckle system? (spider/poly strap + beetle buckle + optional hardware 5.42 oz) I do like that this can be used with a 2 person setup in the future.

Thanks!
    I use polyester straps and a becket hitch. I was also nervous when I started doing this, but I'm very comfortable with it now. It's a very easy knot.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with using hardware if that's your preference. I got a beetle buckle suspension for my wife (who dislikes tying knots), and it's very nice to use. I've considered bringing it on hikes, but by now I find the becket hitch even easier.

I see you're in MN. If you're near the Twin Cities, I'd be happy to meet up and show you the becket hitch and/or the beetle buckles.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I use hardware. I've gone back and forth with different options and for this year, I'm settled on hardware. Knots are great and I know a few by heart, but in the dark I can tighten or release hardware easier and faster than a knot which usually takes 2 hands. Hardware options are numerous.
    Find what works for you and stick with it.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I'm working on deleting weight too. I have 1in dyneema for tree straps. The marlin spike is easy to tie, and because the pressure from the sling is resting on the knot, most anything can be used as a toggle. If you want to be sure of your toggle, a 2 inch section of arrow shaft is very light weight. Carry a spare if you like. They are easy to loose.

Your lightest carry will be no hardware, practice with the knots until you trust them. There are many good tutorials. I did get some of Dutch's Ti hardware for the tarp. I was surprised at the size. and weight. but I chose not to use the hammock hardware.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I use the use rocks to hold the marlin spike hitch. It just need to be slightly longer than the webbing g is wide. They weigh nothing unless you take them with you.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double E View Post
    I'm working on deleting weight too. I have 1in dyneema for tree straps. The marlin spike is easy to tie, and because the pressure from the sling is resting on the knot, most anything can be used as a toggle. If you want to be sure of your toggle, a 2 inch section of arrow shaft is very light weight. Carry a spare if you like. They are easy to loose.
    Once I make camp, I find a small diameter stick or a green branch that I can cut myself 2 small 3"-4" pieces to use as toggles. I remove any rough spots or little knots to smooth them down so they're easier to remove & then dispose of them the next morning... no need to worry about loosing them.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For the brief time that I was using whoopies/MSH I used some Ti toggles because I figured that if the CL ever did slip off the knot the toggle would be strong enough to hold.

If the toggle is attached to the end of your suspension strap with a cord it cannot be lost.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For the brief time that I was using whoopies/MSH I used some Ti toggles because I figured that if the CL ever did slip off the knot the toggle would be strong enough to hold.

If the toggle is attached to the end of your suspension strap with a cord it cannot be lost.
    LOL.. I did the same thing. How many times have I said that??

I've used both Ti and aluminum. Bought an alu tent peg from Dicks Sporting Goods for a buck and cut two toggles out of it. Later I caved in and bought the DWG Ti toggles. I still use one on my bear bag line. Got a little tether on it so I can't lose it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rather that take the time to make toggles every time, I just made some out of hardware store wood dowels. And drilled a hole in one side for a 2mm cord tether so they can stay with the rest of the suspension. But as I was moving out of my whoopies stage, I switched to using a carabiner with the Marlin Spike Hitch. Easy to remove, easy to untie, no worry about whoopie loop slipping off.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Dyneema webbing such as Venom, Dutch spider, WB Dynaweave, Myerstech are the absolute lightest 'out there' but they have a nasty habit of bunching up under load, becoming essentially a cord in their form and handling characteristics.

If you go the strap/knot route I'd suggest going with 3.3 Kevlar, using an Evo loop or a slipped buntline hitch at the tree end and a J-Bend, Becket hitch or slipped Lapp Hitch (simplest knot on planet Earth) on the CL end.

Practice tying knots while watching Sling TV (support: sling customer service). Tie a new knot about 100 times and muscle memory really kicks in and you can tie it without even looking.

Hey, every 5-year-old learns to tie a double-slipped reef bend so we can handle this.
    Thanks a lot for your recommendations

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast