Weight Limits and Fabric Choices for XLC/Eldorado

Hi All,

I'm researching my first sleeping hammock and have pretty much narrowed it down to an XLC (or Eldorado, I just have to decide on that). I've done a bit of research on the hammock's weight limits and fabrics in general, but I think that some of it is likely outdated and the comfort ratings seem to have shifted recently from 250 to 275.

So I wanted to ask you all - I'm 6' and between 230 to 250 lbs, seemingly depending on the season. Weight is a big concern for me in trying to go Light/UL so I'm hoping to do the single layer but am concerned about stretch as comfort is also important. It seems like there are both "pro" and "anti" stretch people, but given that I like a firmer mattress and probably a flatter lay I assume I might not like stretch as much.

is 250 too heavy for a single layer XLC to be comfortable with little stretch?
    If no, is there a difference in support between the 70d option and 40d dream tex? There seem to be some that say it is less stretchy, and others more. I'm leaning towards the dream tex because of the texture and it sounds cool

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You'll sleep different in the hammock as opposed to your bed. I'm a side sleeper at home, but in the hammock I'm a back sleeper. I have the Eldorado in 70D and it's fine for 260 lbs of me. With the issue of stretch, it's gonna be subjective. I do get a pretty flat lay in the Eldorado provided I have it set up right. Otherwise I run into some calf ridge issues.

Until you get one and try it out, it's all academic. I thought I was left lay sleeper, so I switched my Eldorado from right lay. Now I think I'm just an active sleeper and would do better with a symmetrical hammock so I can flop around all night. Haven't got one yet, might get one to try.

I would say try a group hang to check out different gear...but because of COVID I think they're all cancelled. One thing though, WB gear resells quickly on here. I saw a post for a BB XLC and I think it sold 5 minutes after posting (it was a great price though).

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A single layer WB hammock 70D or 40D will hold 275 pounds.
    The 70D may feel a bit firmer and heavier.
    Single is my preference for backpacking.
    Shug

From Warbonnet:
    What is the difference between the lightweight and heavyweight fabric?

This refers to the weight of the fabric only, the heavyweight fabric being a heavier, stronger, more durable fabric than the lightweight fabric. It does not refer to the weight or weight capacity of the hammock itself. For instance a single layer 1.7 is made of the heavier more durable fabric, but since it is a single layer it is lighter than the lightweight double layer. So single layer vs. double layer has as much effect on hammock weight and weight capacity as fabric type does. All weight capacity and product weight info is listed in the collapsible product details boxes to the right of the product description.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts