Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies

5 nights in the Smokies

5/13 - 5/18/20 (5 nights)

The road to Cataloochee is closed for construction, so the only way to get there is long hikes. I liked the idea of having the whole valley to myself I originally was thinking of hiking in from Polls Gap off Balsam Mountain Road, but the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed so I could not get there. Then while poking around on the park website I noticed a message that said you could pitch a tent near the AT shelters. Normally you have to sleep in the shelters unless you are an AT thru-hiker, so I usually avoid the shelters since I don't like people and I'm not a fan of the shelter mice. But if I could pitch a tent (actually hang a hammock) then maybe it would be ok. So, I decided to do a longer trip and see a new part of the park.

Overview of trip
    Newfound Gap => Pecks Corner Shelter => Laurel Gap Shelter => Pretty Hollow (#39) => Enloe Creek (#47) => Icewater Spring Shelter => Newfound Gap

Caltopo says 68 miles and 11500' elevation gain/loss

There were a ton of dayhikers going to Charlies Bunion or The Jumpoff. One of the dayhikers was a solo young woman with a dog. I like to politely call out dogs on the trails, so I mentioned that if a ranger saw her she was going to get a large ticket. She stuttered a bit and said it was a service dog. I decided not to mention that it was off leash and did not have a vest or anything

When I got to the Icewater Spring Shelter, there was this message, so the tent thing made sense.

View from Charlies Bunion

Sunset through the trees at Pecks Corner

Next morning was hiking in the clouds

Lots of wildflowers once I dropped off the ridge

Bear running away, I wish they would pause for 5 more seconds

Palmer Chapel in Cataloochee

Caldwell Barn

Cataloochee Valley (it was weird and awesome being the only person in the whole valley)

Bridge on Balsam Mountain Road

Big Trees

I got to Enloe Creek (Site #47) around 6 pm and had a bit of a panic. It is a very tiny campsite squeezed in between the side of the mountain and the gorge of the creek. It is the only campsite I have seen in the Smokies that is bad for hammocks. I actually pulled out the map and started thinking about hiking another 5ish miles and 1500' up and down to the next site before I decided I could make it work. It was a stretch, but I managed.

Interesting leaves

and in B&W

Back on the AT, looking down into NC

Back to Charlies Bunion. There were a couple people there, but again not crowded. This guy offered to move when he saw my camera, I thanked him but said there was no need. He provided a little bit of perspective.

Icewater Spring Shelter was crowded. There were a couple thru-hikers and a young couple from Michigan sleeping in the shelter and a bunch of people scattered around the broader area. I talked to some people and enjoyed the view with my dinner.

Last day was short and wet, view from the parking lot

lots more photos and details if you are interested (no ads) https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...taloochee.html

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Looks like a good time on the trail... great pics too!

Thanks for your report.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. How many miles a day did you hike on average? Thanks for sharing and I really enjoyed all the pictures of the flowers and especially the labels because I've seen many of these but never knew what the names were.

Images
    Really enjoyed this write-up and looking at these great photos!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Looks like a great trip. How many miles a day did you hike on average? Thanks for sharing and I really enjoyed all the pictures of the flowers and especially the labels because I've seen many of these but never knew what the names were.
    I averaged about 10 - 12 miles a day, the longest was probably about 14 miles. I'm trying to learn flower names, so when I discover a new one, I try to write it down. If I do that a couple times, the name starts to stick

glad everyone liked the photos

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Enloe Creek (#47) is the campsite right beside that big bridge right? We somehow fit 3 hammocks there on a 10-day trip in 2018, I agree - not the best site in the Smokies for hammocks. Awesome trip you had!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I enjoyed the write up. I was up at Pecks Corner around the same time but kept going on the AT to Hot Springs. I did look at looping into the Cataloochee Valley as an option. Looks wonderful.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Enloe Creek (#47) is the campsite right beside that big bridge right? We somehow fit 3 hammocks there on a 10-day trip in 2018, I agree - not the best site in the Smokies for hammocks. Awesome trip you had!
    Yeah, right next to the bridge. 3 hammocks would be tough, there were a couple "better" trees vs the two I hung off of, but they were right next to a fire ring with nasty beanie weanie cans. I did not want to hang right next to the idiots garbage pit/fire ring so I choose the two trees farthest away.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I enjoyed the write up. I was up at Pecks Corner around the same time but kept going on the AT to Hot Springs. I did look at looping into the Cataloochee Valley as an option. Looks wonderful.
    Cataloochee was great to have to myself, but the weather was nice on the ridge so I suspect going straight on the AT was a good trip as well.

Did you happen to run into a group of about 8 russians who were hiking the AT (north -> south) through the park? I talked to a couple of them at the Tricorner Knob shelter at lunch on my 2nd day. Nice guys, but I think it was their first time backpacking based on some of their questions. I'm curious if they actually made it all the way to Fontana since they seemed to be taking their time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast