Best way to cut/seal a polyethylene fabric tarp

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on the best way to cut and then re-seal the ends of a polyethylene fabric tarp I purchased off Amazon that I'm planning to use as a ground tarp under my sleeping area.
    This one: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did find these (and many other sites/videos) in my search:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p-on-the-Cheap - is sewing still the best solution?
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-modifications
    *I also saw the hasty hooch videos, but it didn't seem to apply to my project exacly.

At this point I've seen suggestions for everything from using a soldering iron to make the cut (to seal the ends like 550 cord), making a hem line and sewing (which may be difficult on a 10x15 tarp as I would have to sew by hand), and even just using spray adhesive/glue to hold the hem instead of sewing. Since most of what I found was at least a year or older, I'm hoping those of you who did this in the past could share your first hand lessons learned / what I would do differently knowing what I know now - before I start this project.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I wanted to follow up on my original post to provide feedback in case someone else tries this:

A neighbor said she used an clothes iron to melt the tarps for her projects. I'm guessing it was much thinner material because I was only successful in setting a seam with the iron on Cotton/Linen setting. I also had used a very VERY thin shave towel to ensure nothing melted onto my iron, so that my have been the reason it failed. I did try multiple times, and moved the iron slowly - it just didn't seem to get hot enough for the task.

Since I'm too lazy to hand stich this - I opted to break out the hot iron I use for cutting styrofoam. A couple of things to point out on this approach. My tarp grommets/tie down/stake holes were FAR from symmetric. Once side would loose a grommet post cut, the other would have several inches of fabric after the grommet... Also, the hot knife puts out a lot of smoke as it was melting the material(s) - and the melted on styrofoam resude didn't help. I had the garage open, fans blowing and still got a nice headache. If I do this again - I'm moving completely outdoors next time AND bringing the fans... That said, the knife cut through the material very nicely and as straight as my hand could make it. Outdoors, working off a clean table would have produced cleaner/straighter lines.

I also want to stress this is ended up being used for a tent/ground tarp, and not something that will be suspended from a ridgeline or have guy lines attached, so I really don't need reinforced edges. If I did, I probably would try cutting a couple inches less material and then fold it over twice (gluing both times) for reinforcement. I do plan on using the scraps and gluing them to double up the fabric wherever I add/replace a grommet so it matches the Tent stake loops. I hope this tiny bit of info helps!

A couple of pics for reference:
    HotKnife Box - Copy.jpg
    Tarp Hot Knife Cutting.jpg
    Tarp 1.jpg
    Tarp 2.jpg
    Last edited by USCAV; 11-28-2020 at 19:28.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Thanks for the follow up.

I used grommets every foot to make a hem on a ground tarp from a polyethylene tarp. It worked, but the iron method would be better if it would get hot enough. Dirt and water got all up in the hem fold.

I might try using a piece of aluminum foil as a melt barrier if I try this method.

If that don’t work, the 3M spray adhesive is another option I didn’t think of.

Thanks!

• + New Posts