11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

3/4 length, 25 inch wide non insulated air mattress

Anyone know if this exits? Want one for my WB RR. Thanks
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 06-05-2020 at 00:55.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The Thermarest Neotrekker I have is 25" x 3/4 length. However, it has some sort of "reflective" insulation value. Not a whole lot, but enough for them to toot their horn.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I've been looking for a lightweight short-wide air pad (insulated or not) for ages. They seem virtually nonexistent which is surprising because I think vendors would have a pretty solid market among the ultralight crowd.

The wide (25") version of the Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Trekker now only comes in regular (72") and long (77") lengths (at least that's according to the Therm-a -Rest website). I haven't seen the wide version for sale anywhere in shorter lengths. This seems to be the case for most vendors who offer 25" wide pads. REI makes an AirRail Plus self-inflating pad specifically for women that is 68" x 25", but that is still a bit long in my opinion. The Klymit Inertia X Wave Sleeping Pad is 48" x 25" which is just about the right size, but it has those funky cut outs that seem a prime opportunity for cold spots. The closest I've found is the Klymit Static V Junior (designed for kids). It doesn't have the cutouts and is 50" long (about perfect) but it's only 23" wide.

I've read a few articles from ultralighters who have found ways to cut down and reseal a longer pad to save weight, but I personally don't feel very comfortable about about that. There's also the option to cut a piece of CCF to size, but I'd prefer the space savings of a small air pad.

I definitely would be interested in what other ideas are out there as well, because I've been striking out left and right.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I've been looking for a lightweight short-wide air pad (insulated or not) for ages. They seem virtually nonexistent which is surprising because I think vendors would have a pretty solid market among the ultralight crowd.

The wide (25") version of the Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Trekker now only comes in regular (72") and long (77") lengths (at least that's according to the Therm-a -Rest website). I haven't seen the wide version for sale anywhere in shorter lengths. This seems to be the case for most vendors who offer 25" wide pads. REI makes an AirRail Plus self-inflating pad specifically for women that is 68" x 25", but that is still a bit long in my opinion. The Klymit Inertia X Wave Sleeping Pad is 48" x 25" which is just about the right size, but it has those funky cut outs that seem a prime opportunity for cold spots. The closest I've found is the Klymit Static V Junior (designed for kids). It doesn't have the cutouts and is 50" long (about perfect) but it's only 23" wide.

I've read a few articles from ultralighters who have found ways to cut down and reseal a longer pad to save weight, but I personally don't feel very comfortable about about that. There's also the option to cut a piece of CCF to size, but I'd prefer the space savings of a small air pad.

I definitely would be interested in what other ideas are out there as well, because I've been striking out left and right.
    I've cut down and resealed 3 Thermarest air mats, 2 neoairs and a (gulp!) brand new Xtherm max. Resealed with an iron that is used for the application of model airplane heat-shrink covering. I've heard a regular clothes iron will work fine. Only other tools needed are a good metal ruler and an X-acto knife or other sharp razor knife. HF thread here.

Off the shelf, one of the very few (maybe only... I haven't looked in a long time) are OlTrailDog's recommended Neoair Trekker which is 25"x 47", and I haven't seen that size offered in quite a long time. Might be able to track one down on eBay etc. I have one of these and it's 13oz on the button.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Chk this one out. I didnt bite. It might be out dated. Dunno

https://www.moontrail.com/therm-a-re...kker-torso.php

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Chk this one out. I didnt bite. It might be out dated. Dunno

https://www.moontrail.com/therm-a-re...kker-torso.php
    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and that link shows the pad as out of stock. I searched the web for NeoAir Trekker torso and found several other sites that seem to offer this pad for sale too. Unfortunately, they all state "unavailable", "out of stock" or "this item has been discontinued by manufacturer".

I come across this issue all too frequently and wonder why vendors continue to list an item if they don't (and won't ever) have any to sell. Frustrating! (Okay ... stepping off the soap box now.)

Still searching!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Klymit had a nice semi length though only 23" wide.....https://klymit.com/collections/sleep...31722982408282
    You could add an SPE to a pad.....https://www.gearbuyer.com/b/eno/index.html
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Klymit had a nice semi length though only 23" wide.....https://klymit.com/collections/sleep...31722982408282
    You could add an SPE to a pad.....https://www.gearbuyer.com/b/eno/index.html
    Sorry for the delay Shug. Been prepping to sell my house and haven't been on HF in a few weeks.

I've considered the SPE, but my objective is a bit different than Crawldaddy's. I've been searching for a pad for my rare go-to-ground hikes when I must take a tent instead of a hammock. I'm a fairly big guy and a side sleeper to boot, so standard pads are too narrow for me. I find the typical wide (25") pad just barely wide enough. I'm not an UL guy per se, but I am a gram counter and a volume minimizer and the extra length associated with most wide pads adds weight and volume I don't want or need. I don't even want the regular length. My head is usually off the top of the pad on my makeshift pillow and I usually curl up on my side, so I simply don't need the extra length of even a regular length pad for my legs. I considered trying a short regular pad with an SPE, but the SPE still adds 9 oz to the mix and takes up extra space in my pack.

I've seen similar complaints among the UL crowd on other forums. Most wind up going to CCF or ducktaping CCF wings to their narrow shortie air pad, trying the cut-down approach cmoulder discusses above, or just sucking it up with a longer, heavier pad. It just flummoxes me why vendors can't seem to see a potential market for short-wide pads.

Flummoxes .... flummoxes ... flumm ... oxes ...
    (Sorry ... it's just a fun word to say!)

Fuh ... lummoxes ...

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Now I'm completely bamboozled.

• + New Posts