Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any hanging place near Portland, Maine?

Hello!

I am new here, but am a boy scout and have done plenty of camping.
    However as an Adult, I am 29 now. I have issues finding places to camp.
    Moved to Maine last fall just outside of Portland.
    I however have driving anxiety and am looking for things within in 90 minute drive.

I feel like everywhere excludes any kind of camping or is a Camper-ground and it is becoming disheartening.

Anyone have any recommendations for places to camp/hang?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    The Whites are a 90 minute drive and have infinite opportunities.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    About a half hour drive or so north of you are several private campgrounds, including Meadowbrook (near Phippsburg) where we have our annual Lighthouse & Lobster Hang.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    About a half hour drive or so north of you are several private campgrounds, including Meadowbrook (near Phippsburg) where we have our annual Lighthouse & Lobster Hang.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Hi Mike Thanks! I am a fellow Mike as well!

Alot of those campgrounds seem to be more RV/Reservation Campground places. Ive tried a few near me and one of them let me book even 1 night and u need to rent a camp site dont you?

so an update on my search, so far I have found nothing near me, and the whites are over 2 hours from me not 90 minutes,
    every single piece of preserve, reserve land, or w.e name for possible parks and public land not a single one allows any camping of any kind and i am paranoid about getting in trouble or losing my truck.
    This search for a camping location is really making me regret trying to get back into nature more often..
    I'm a bloody Eagle Scout, and it shouldn't be to hard to go out randomly on a Saturday and pitch something for a single nice with out a fire or hassle...

Images
    All the town forests around me restricts overnight camping, and the state ones requires you to be on a camp site, which includes a fee.
    I get my fix by just doing an all day hike. I would venture deep into the woods, and then go well off the beaten path to find a heavy covered location. I would set up everything, just as I would if I were staying overnight. Many times I'll even have a small camp fire, or use my twig stove.
    I just lounge out, make meals, and play with the fire. Everything I would do on an overnighter. Only difference is, I would pack up and hike out at dusk. It's not an overnight, but it gives me a temporary fix.
    There's a YouTuber, Birch and Brooks, who does his filming all in Maine. He goes out with his dog and never stays at any established camp sites.

Images
    Double posts
    Last edited by Xraycer; 06-07-2020 at 11:25.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    so an update on my search, so far I have found nothing near me, and the whites are over 2 hours from me not 90 minutes

The Whites are a big place and part of the forest is in Maine. Portland to Stoneham, ME is a 70 minute drive. The Caribou-Speckled Mtn Wilderness is a great place to hang. If you find yourself comfortable with that drive you can gradually start exploring stuff farther west in the WMNF like the Wild River Wilderness and the Pemigewasset Wilderness. North Conway, your gateway to the more popular parts of the Whites if coming from your area, is a 90 minute drive. WMNF backcountry camping rules can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    The Whites are a big place and part of the forest is in Maine. Portland to Stoneham, ME is a 70 minute drive. The Caribou-Speckled Mtn Wilderness is a great place to hang. If you find yourself comfortable with that drive you can gradually start exploring stuff farther west in the WMNF like the Wild River Wilderness and the Pemigewasset Wilderness. North Conway, your gateway to the more popular parts of the Whites if coming from your area, is a 90 minute drive. WMNF backcountry camping rules can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf
    Thanks yeah I was looking for information from that I can get to the most eastern part of the whites, in about 75 minutes from where I am but that area lacks most of the established camp sites, but i can follow the back-country off trail rules, which i find amusing on Maine's site because if you just go there you can camp just about anywhere barring private property.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Please don't get so discouraged so quickly!! You are in a beautiful area (my husband and I are trying to relocate there).
    Meadowbrook is a great place, and the lobster and lighthouse hang held there in September is terrific! Look that up here on the forum and mark the date now, because it's a great way to have a great hang and meet a terrific group of people!

Even in the most restrictive of states, New Jersey here has some nice places to hang. Yes, you need to make reservations, and it's a small fee, but worth the ease of mind being in an established camp site area (and when, as is here, there ARE no other ways to do it). My point is that if I can find places here, you've GOT to be able to find some options up there in Maine.

Also, introduce yourself to Attroll, and Grey Eagle. They are both in the area and would probably be happy to suggest some locations.

Dawn
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast