Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Even in the most restrictive of states, New Jersey here has some nice places to hang. Yes, you need to make reservations, and it's a small fee, but worth the ease of mind being in an established camp site area (and when, as is here, there ARE no other ways to do it). My point is that if I can find places here, you've GOT to be able to find some options up there in Maine.

Also, introduce yourself to Attroll, and Grey Eagle. They are both in the area and would probably be happy to suggest some locations.

Dawn
    yeah i understand the reservation thing but i cant generally plan far enough in advance, like the whole reservation thing in Maine right now i think is broken i tried like 2 months out with nothing available so i think something is broken.

i have been trying to reach out a bit.

I caved a bought a tensa because i need it now lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    so an update on my search, so far I have found nothing near me, and the whites are over 2 hours from me not 90 minutes,
    every single piece of preserve, reserve land, or w.e name for possible parks and public land not a single one allows any camping of any kind and i am paranoid about getting in trouble or losing my truck.
    This search for a camping location is really making me regret trying to get back into nature more often..
    I'm a bloody Eagle Scout, and it shouldn't be to hard to go out randomly on a Saturday and pitch something for a single nice with out a fire or hassle...
    I have property you can put a hammock on if you're really looking to get out of Portland and hang in the woods.
    No fires in the woods though. I do have a fire pit that you can use.
    Just need some advance notice and to make sure I will be home.
    I don't have any porta-a-poties. However, I have tons of space.
    You would of loved the hang we have here in April but we had to cancel due to the COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have property you can put a hammock on if you're really looking to get out of Portland and hang in the woods.
    No fires in the woods though. I do have a fire pit that you can use.
    Just need some advance notice and to make sure I will be home.
    I don't have any porta-a-poties. However, I have tons of space.
    You would of loved the hang we have here in April but we had to cancel due to the COVID.
    thanks for the offer, from your side profile thing there, you are up in denmark?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I haven't camped in a hammock outside my backyard yet, but I live in the area and I'll get back to you. Thought there was some BLM public lands nearby that I used to camp on when I was in the scouts. Are you looking for mostly backcountry spots?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeLumberjack View Post
    thanks for the offer, from your side profile thing there, you are up in denmark?
    Yes, Denmark, ME.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Maine.gov/dacf/parks/camping/backcountry_camping.shtml

Not sure if any of these are within 90 minutes of Portland but they look great. Edit- Grafton Notch State Park is 2 hours away but has great challenging trails.

Honestly I've stealth camped all over in tents and there's a lot of possibilities there. Even spent the night in Ft. Gorges. I'm hoping soon to float down the Royal river and pick a good spot off an embankment.
    Last edited by bearito; 06-12-2020 at 09:54.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Remember that Maine has "public use lands". I think the state maintains a map of the areas that the logging companies had to give up, or at least throw open,.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just set up a trip in July to a place in Phippsburg, Maine that is very close to Freeport area. It’s def close to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Remember that Maine has "public use lands". I think the state maintains a map of the areas that the logging companies had to give up, or at least throw open,.
    I miss that living in NH. Spent many fishing trips camped in an abandoned gravel pit on an old logging road on public use lands in Maine.

Brought my parents to several places we used to camp/fish around Moosehead lake. One place on what used to be Scott Paper land had about a doz campsites is now closed. :-( (Rumor has it that people were spending more than the 14 day max allowed and another place we often went too that required 4 wheel drive you can now drive too with a car and has an official campsite w/a pit toilet now. No more solitude at that place. :-(

However, there's a few places I want to return to with my hammock and hammock camp and fly fish.

- Clyde

Do you have a boat? Warren Island State Park isn't far from you and camp sites are cheap. I've heard you can hammock camp there. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of places to check out. (I'm thinking of kayak camping there)

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast