Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF

Question Lower Back Pain after first night

Hi Guys

I just got my first hammock (WBBB XLC) and after the first night I experienced lower back pain, as much as I got to move back to my bed to be able to sleep again. I hooked it up at home with the indicated 17 feet distance, head end 5.9 feet high and the feet end about a feet higher. I watched a ton of youtube videos, studied the book The Ultimate Hang 2 and I really don't know if I'm doing something wrong. (btw yes, lying diagonally ;D)

I had lower back pain from before but only happening when sitting bad. What i experience now when lying in the hammock, is that my lower back is not perfectly straight and tends to curve a bit (what seems to be enough to experience pain). If I put a pillow under my lower back it seems to be better but that loft will get lost and it will get squeezed to a point that it is not supporting anymore after time.

Anyone experience the same thing? Is it normal that your lower back curves a bit in a hammock?

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies!

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I have long experiences lower back pain (not associated with my hammocks). I finally started doing just a little bit of core exercise with an ab roller and all of the pain is gone. It just takes a couple of minutes a day, and does wonders. I would just suggest to strengthen your core. It's not your hammocks fault.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Based on your post, I would say it is impossible to know if it is the hammock or you, at this point. Just not enough information. Is your back curving in the hammock from top to bottom, or from side to side? I assume from top to bottom, based on the pillow, but maybe not. How much do you weigh? What fabric did you get? I am in very good shape, and only weigh 150#, but have been struggling with fabric firmness for a bit now. My back doesn't hurt like yours seems to, but I wake up achy if the fabric is too stretchy. My WB Eldorado was just too stretchy for me, as is my BB. Both were using the lightest fabric that WB offers. A 1.25 multicam from SLD seems to be working well for me, and I am trying a 1.6hyperD tonight.

Regardless of fabric, it seems that there is usually a learning curve for hammock sleeping. I have been sleeping full time in one for the last couple of months, and am definitely not all knowing, and have not yet figured everything out for me. I do sleep very well though, and you should not feel the kind of pain you are. Probably not very helpful, but good luck!

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Try putting something under your knees.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It may just take a few times for your body to adjust.
    A double layered XLC is firmer for the most part.
    A single a bit less firm.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I have long experiences lower back pain (not associated with my hammocks). I finally started doing just a little bit of core exercise with an ab roller and all of the pain is gone. It just takes a couple of minutes a day, and does wonders. I would just suggest to strengthen your core. It's not your hammocks fault.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already doing core exercises and stretching. I really only have back pain if I have a bad posture while sitting for a long time. I put now a bigger pillow under my lower back and it seems to be quite good. I'll have a try with it this night and will report. If it works, I'll have to check some outdoor pillows then.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Based on your post, I would say it is impossible to know if it is the hammock or you, at this point. Just not enough information. Is your back curving in the hammock from top to bottom, or from side to side? I assume from top to bottom, based on the pillow, but maybe not. How much do you weigh? What fabric did you get? I am in very good shape, and only weigh 150#, but have been struggling with fabric firmness for a bit now. My back doesn't hurt like yours seems to, but I wake up achy if the fabric is too stretchy. My WB Eldorado was just too stretchy for me, as is my BB. Both were using the lightest fabric that WB offers. A 1.25 multicam from SLD seems to be working well for me, and I am trying a 1.6hyperD tonight.

Regardless of fabric, it seems that there is usually a learning curve for hammock sleeping. I have been sleeping full time in one for the last couple of months, and am definitely not all knowing, and have not yet figured everything out for me. I do sleep very well though, and you should not feel the kind of pain you are. Probably not very helpful, but good luck!
    I'm hanging in the lightweigt double layer which I guess should not be that stretchy. I'm also sporty but my weight is 185lb with 6ft of height. I'm lying now with a pillow from my couch under my back for about an hour and seems to do the trick. I'm just not sure if it is normal for the lower back to be slightli curved in a hammock. Also if I tweek in length setup from my straps it doesn't really make a difference. Thanks for the reply and have a good hang tonight!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Try putting something under your knees.
    Makes it more comfy indeed but doesn't help for my back. Putting a pillow directly under my back is better in my case. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It may just take a few times for your body to adjust.
    A double layered XLC is firmer for the most part.
    A single a bit less firm.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whoooo buddy! Nice to get a reply from you shug! Love your videos! Actually you got me into hammocking haha
    (and pop tarts)

Yes I got the double layered XLC. Trying a pillow under my back tonight. I'll post tomorrow how it went. All secure in sector seven here as well!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Update: I was sleeping for about 6h and woke up again with back pain. It's strange because I feel super comfortable in my hammock. Maybe I have to experiment with different pillow sizes. Or is it possible that you get a flatter lie if the head end is about the same height as the foot end? (I have fixed heights because hanging indoors on hooks) Also is it normal that you don't get that much of lower back support in a hammock?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast