DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by creygelz View Post
    Or is it possible that you get a flatter lie if the head end is about the same height as the foot end? (I have fixed heights because hanging indoors on hooks) Also is it normal that you don't get that much of lower back support in a hammock?
    Not with the WB. I found that the foot end needs to be higher than what I normally set on my Dutchware. I think it's because you lay closer to the head end of the WB than in other gathered end hammocks. Honestly, I've never had back issues...it's always calf ridge with me, but that's a setup issue.

My early setup issues with WB hammocks was I didn't properly read WB suggestion:

Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself.
    I just did 16" higher foot end on the tree when I set up, not when I was in it. Once I raised a few more inches, I found that flat lay and got rid of the calf ridge.

Look at the photo of the actual ends of the hammock...foot end is significantly higher: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Update: I was sleeping for about 6h and woke up again with back pain. It's strange because I feel super comfortable in my hammock. Maybe I have to experiment with different pillow sizes. Or is it possible that you get a flatter lie if the head end is about the same height as the foot end? (I have fixed heights because hanging indoors on hooks) Also is it normal that you don't get that much of lower back support in a hammock?
    The double layer may be a bit firm for your back. Maybe try a pad that is half delflated between layers to soften the lay.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Update: I was sleeping for about 6h and woke up again with back pain. It's strange because I feel super comfortable in my hammock. Maybe I have to experiment with different pillow sizes. Or is it possible that you get a flatter lie if the head end is about the same height as the foot end? (I have fixed heights because hanging indoors on hooks) Also is it normal that you don't get that much of lower back support in a hammock?
    Usually I would sleep in my hammock if my back was hurting from my bed lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    13 foot La Siesta
    my suggestion is play with the tension a bit. see what is the best sag for you also do you have some padding on the bottom that can make a difference even a blanket can make a difference.

Ashley

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    It's not your hammocks fault.
    I sort of agree. I'm not sure about fault, but hammocks are different than beds. I also have back pain from time to time and if I don't keep up with my exercises I can get pain even in my very comfy bed. If I was to sleep on the floor and I had back pain, I might say it's the problem with the floor being hard and my spine not being supported as well as it is in my bed. I know that when I sleep in a GE hammock my spine is definitely in a different position. Normally my body can deal with it but not always. I know we talk about sleeping on the diagonal and a "flat lay" but if you've ever seen a picture of somebody in that position, well, not my definition of flat.

That's why I switched to a bridge hammock. I still like my UL GE hammock for occasional relaxing but not for 8 hours of sleep.

If you want to keep using a GE hammock, I'd recommend changing the height of one of the tree straps. It will make you sleep higher or lower in the hammock. A wider hammock does give a more "flat" lay. Also the material of the hammock makes a difference -- harder or more flexible. Also placing something under part of you or all of you may help. I like a partially deflated mattress which gives my body more options to adjust itself.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Thanks for all the suggestion and support guys! Really appreciate it.

I'll try it with raising the foot end, will read WB suggestions thoroughly from your link and cushioning/padding if nothing else works. I'll give an update as soon as I found something that works for me. Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    So after several tries I found out what worked best and no more back pain! It is a combination of things from all of you. Hangig the food end fabric significantly higher then head end (60cm, about 2 feet) already did make it way better. I added the warbonnet pillow under my lower back and another bigger pillow under my knees. I know...lots of pillows, but now I think I get an even better sleep than in my bed. Need to try what happens after several sleeps in my hammock. Thanks guys again! Now I feel more comfortable trying it out in the woods.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    That's great, really pleased for you, I put the foot end on my xlc 20inches above the head end and that works for me, tried 14/16 inches but still too much calf ridge,20 inches perfect for me, and I use a pillow under my knee as well
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-19-2020 at 08:40.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki 20ºF
    Thanks! What I forgot to mention is, that my UQ (Wooki) was too tight with the standard attachment. Made a custom attachment with adjustable length. Found out that it adjusts the temperature pretty nice too, depending on the distance between hammock and UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12