Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps

tarp pullouts

Hi
    I would be grateful for your opinions please if you actually use the side pullouts, I am just about to pull the pin on a UGQ Winterdream for three season in uk, it has been a tough choice because I like the mountain fly as well because that has half doors and can duck under them( but I dont think they do not do it in dark olive type colour ) the Winterdream does look great as well but obviously full doors and I will prob have both pole mods fitted but may not get poles at the moment, so just wondering if you all think you need to add pullouts as option(less chance of leaks without but I may be paranoid about this though and I know Paul seam seals at factory) appreciate your views from those that have been there and done that
    Last edited by hangerdave; 06-03-2020 at 12:20.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have the WB Thunderfly and Superfly with the pull outs. With the Thunderfly, I've used them but they aren't that necessary because I prefer porch mode. If it's going to be raining overnight, I use trekking poles over the top of the ridgeline to pull them up and open it up. I seam sealed the pull outs per the WB instructions and haven't had any issues with leaks.

I just got the Superfly, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the pull outs. Not sure about porch mode with such a large tarp. I will probably use the trekking poles over the ridge line to lift up the pull outs. I prefer this method because it doesn't require a lot of extra cordage.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    yep do like external pole mode as well so can def see sense of them in that situation

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you can handle the extra weight, an internal pole mode may get the job done better. It is definitely worth it for me to have those sides pulled out for more interior space. With the external poles, over the top of the ridge line, you do have to pay attention to geometry so rain water has a runoff path and will not just form a pool ready to drop on your head, down your neck or in your shoes. But that’s just a little attention.

I believe - no experience yet - that internal poles give you a smooth arc so water will just run off. With no “flat spots” they opens the interior space even more. After market interior pole pockets can be added via vendors like 2QZQ.

For the exterior panel pulls - that depends on what’s available at the camp site. I normally have telescoping poles for porch mode so it depends a lot on the whether - whether or not I want to fuss with the ridge line poles. It there’s a convenient tie out, I’ll use that first.

When you use one piece of gear for something else, you loose the use of that gear for its primary purpose. One paddling partner was happy to show me how - instead of using a separate line as I had - he used his tow rope as a clothes line. Which was fine until we went for a day paddle and he didn’t have a tow line (safety issue) because, you know, it was used for something else.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I'm going to give my experience here. I don't like the pole mod where the pole goes over the ridge line and pulls up on the side pull outs.

I have beastie D rings on multiple tabs around the perimeter. I have aluminum poles that can go inside and I can put them in an X configuration making a ton of room underneath. Also makes proch mode nice as the poles hold the tarp tight even when it's angled up in porch mode.

Having said all that the poles can slip around under the tarp. I use a rubber band at the point they cross each other. I hold an end and wrap the rubber band around in a criss cross poattern. Then put the end through the end I'm holding and slip a small stick in to keep it from unreaveling. Rock solid in high winds.

good luck with you're decision.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Thanks a lot for your insight into this

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I use a Superfly with the center internal pole mod the most. It works really well for me. Even so, I still get tarps with external pullouts. I had a medium size tree take out part of my tarp during a particularly windy day and I was glad I had the pullouts available to be able to rig up coverage with part of my tarp ripped. I'd rather have more tieout points available than less.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When you need 'em....you need 'em!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used tie-outs once - just didn't make any sense to me, and never used them since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    ok thanks, will include them ,at least I can try for myself and decide then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast