Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images

Greetings from Page county Virginia

I am a longtime camper/backpacker. I grew up in Western Colorado, but ended up here in Virginia about 20 years ago. The truth is I have never camped with a hammock. I have several friends who think I would like it if I tried it, but as I look into it, I am finding that it's not one size fits all.

My first thought was wondering how people carry all this stuff as I started adding up the weight. I'm 61. I am becoming an ultra light weeny because don't feel like carrying that much weight anymore. I guess I'm getting lazy...

I've done a bit of homework and am beginning to understand that I really know very little about hammocks. I bought a cheepy to test hang with, but the suspension was too heavy for hiking. I got Dyneema whoopees and tree huggers for it. (I told you I was becoming a weight weeny) I think I have the tarp solved, but there is still the bug net to talk about. I should probably set things up in the woods by the house before I take it to the park. We'll see how that goes. (I live a mile from the national park)

I plan on changing out the cheepy for a good one once I figure out what I need. I don't mind investing money in good gear, but I want to purchase the right gear the first time. (Figuring the right anything is difficult because I'm dyslexic)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

The truth is that there isn't much weight penalty for choosing hammock over tent. Sure, if you're going ultra UL weeny, you'll be able to lop off a few more grams in a ground-dwelling setup (or even a pound or two) than in a hammock setup. However, that argument holds no weight with me, because I will never, ever sleep on the ground again.

You list your tarp as 9x9 silnylon. That size is gonna be tough to stay dry with a hammock underneath. All my tarps (and I have 8 or 10 of them) are at least 10 ft. long, but most are 11 ft. long. Micro tarps just aren't my thing. I like to stay dry! I don't even use the 10 ft. tarps because they just don't provide the coverage I prefer. I like Hex and Winter Tarps because I'm an all-weather camper - I don't back out of a trip for any reason (unless a hurricane is coming my way).

As for bugnet, I am sold on the Fronkey bugnet. Mosquitoes just don't know how to fly vertically. They can't figure out how to get in a Fronkey bugnet due to the bottom entry. With zippered bugnets, I'm always amazed at how there are a host of mosquitoes awaiting that moment when you unzip the bugnet to enter your hammock. They jump at the chance to enter your hammock abode, and they're impossible to get rid of.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I am thinking to run the tarp on the diagonal. This will give me a 12+ line coverage. The cheepy hammock is only 9 feet. However I will probably end up with a longer hammock, so your point is valid and I will have to get a longer one eventually. The problem with not knowing what I'm doing is that it can be expensive. The good part is that the material for the tarp came from Ripstop by the Roll and was on clearance. I can always recycle it into something else.

I will look into the bug net. Thank you for your input.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome from the East side of the mountain. I'll PM you with an offer to show you the various types of bugnets.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts