DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Tarp tension

How tight am I supposed to make my tarp? I've been really hauling at it, and I haven't noticed any problem but I'm not sure if I should have it that tight. Are there conditions when a tarp might need to be loosened? I haven't got shock cord on the guy lines yet but I plan on doing that this week. My dog ran into the guy line and though the line had been very taught and the ridgeline even tighter, the tarp seemed to have enough stretch to recover from it.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    How tight am I supposed to make my tarp? I've been really hauling at it, and I haven't noticed any problem but I'm not sure if I should have it that tight. Are there conditions when a tarp might need to be loosened? I haven't got shock cord on the guy lines yet but I plan on doing that this week. My dog ran into the guy line and though the line had been very taught and the ridgeline even tighter, the tarp seemed to have enough stretch to recover from it.
    Tarp should be tight enough to shed rain. Tarp should be tight enough to not billow up, like a sail, when wind blows.
    If tarp raises up too high in a breeze then your hammock and quilts get wet from wind blown rain.
    If tarp is too tight then there is a chance of damaging tarp at seams, pullouts, and loops.
    Use your best judgement!

Images
    Enough to be firm, but no more. Tarps don't need too much. There is no advantage to be gained from "really cranking it down".

If you put elastic on the guy lines, you'll get auto-tensioning (nice!), but you also get "billows in the wind" (not nice). That said, i like to have elastic guy lines.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Firm but not super taut.

I've had setups with and without shock cord, now no longer use it. I find that there is enough 'dynamic flex' in the system to help spread out shock from accidental trips. I use DCF tarps and so far so good. Now if I used a silnylon tarp I'd probably use an elastic cord because those tarps can really stretch.

However, as far as the shock from tripping, once a shock cord is stretched to the max it becomes a static cord so it does not entirely remove the potential for tarp damage.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tight enough so it does not flap in the wind.
    I do know a few who truly like a saggy, baggy tarp.

Hard for me to make eye-contact with them....haaaaa

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I use shock cord on the 4 corner pull outs (Shug video). I marlin-spike hitch the stake and stretch until the shock cord is about half-way stretched. It seems to create a nice tight pitch. Then, when the wind begins, I get a nice shake going on. Lot like an Elvis show in the woods.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I use directly tied ridge lines and learned the hard way you CAN go too tight. I pulled too hard and put a couple of tears in a sil poly Dutch tarp I really liked. I’ve made a patch but it’s in an area under tension so yes, it’s not that hard to go too far.

I’m now using shock cord loops on the tie outs and will try them on the ridge as well next.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have never had a desire to overtighten my tarp. Just take the slack out and it should be good to withstand 40 to 60 mph winds (if the stakes are properly secured).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    From end to end, I center it over the hammock, snug, but not tight. To the ground it's tightish.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Given an increasing force, what in your setup will break first? On a boat, the propeller shaft may present different metals to the saltwater. It causes a reaction that eats away at the metal. To stop that erosion, a piece of zine is place there. The erosion action “eats” the zinc first. It’s called “Sacrificial Zinc” and is replaced as needed.

So with your tarp, what do you want to break first? What is your “sacrificial zinc”? I put a cheap split ring or two on the ridge line so in a strong wind, that ring will deform first. Sometimes I might put a “jumper” cord around it so if it breaks, the tarp end wouldn’t be flapping around. Or I just pay attention to it. Depends on severity and duration.

Shock cord will stretch until it won’t; then what? I wouldn’t want forces to build up that strongly. If the wind is strong enough to open my split ring, then it’s time to consider a different location or tarp orientation.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast