Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Need for (setup) Speed

So I have used the search function with some success on this topic, but feel I could use some specific advice.

I am getting better/faster at setting up the more I do it, but I can see diminishing returns at a point that is still dramatically slower than my Ultralight tent.

My Hammock is not UL, but I sleep like a baby, and that is what matters. But now I'd like to sleep like a baby sooner.

I have a DL Ridgerunner (CF bars), a DCF tarp with doors, a top quilt and a good pad (need to cover going to ground on occasion). I like the components.

The RR is hung via whoopies; I do not use a ridgeline. I spend most of my setup time getting the straps affixed properly to the tree & adjusted.

Practice aside, what should I consider - some particular suspension hardware? Or go with the Beckett hitch? Would I benefit from a fixed ridgeline? I don't use snakeskins or something like the SLD Catch-all sack...perhaps I should?

Would be grateful for your thoughts...what do you think will work with my core components best to speed me up?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    So I have used the search function with some success on this topic, but feel I could use some specific advice.

I am getting better/faster at setting up the more I do it, but I can see diminishing returns at a point that is still dramatically slower than my Ultralight tent.

My Hammock is not UL, but I sleep like a baby, and that is what matters. But now I'd like to sleep like a baby sooner.

I have a DL Ridgerunner (CF bars), a DCF tarp with doors, a top quilt and a good pad (need to cover going to ground on occasion). I like the components.

The RR is hung via whoopies; I do not use a ridgeline. I spend most of my setup time getting the straps affixed properly to the tree & adjusted.

Practice aside, what should I consider - some particular suspension hardware? Or go with the Beckett hitch? Would I benefit from a fixed ridgeline? I don't use snakeskins or something like the SLD Catch-all sack...perhaps I should?

Would be grateful for your thoughts...what do you think will work with my core components best to speed me up?
    For me, my thought process was try and minimize fiddling as much as possible when I set up. So, I wanted to have as much as I can "already done".

I also have a RR, and have it stored in a double ended stuff sack with my Dutch clips coming out the side. I can loosen one, set the suspension one on tree, and have it connected to the next tree in less than a minute. My tarp has Stingerz attached to each end and is all wrapped in a snakeskin. The Stingerz come out of the top of my stuff sack, so it's a similar time frame to at least get the tarp hung.

On each pull out, I already have shock cords coming off of the D rings, and my guy line I keep permanently attached to my stakes with a Hookworm on each one. So once my tarp is hanging, I just have to go to each corner, put in the stake at the right angle, attach the Hookworm, pull back on the line, and set them. If it's not windy, I can have my hammock and tarp set up in probably 5-6 minutes.

Some people like taking the time to tie knots every time, but since I'm not that good at them and don't have them memorized, that would take me at least 20 minutes.

I also just practiced a bunch in the back yard right when I first got my set up, and made little tweaks as I went.

So, after all that, I think the biggest game changer for me when it comes to speed is the snakeskin. Tarps can be unwieldy, especially in wind. Being able to hang a long tube is much easier.

Chris

Images
    Here a thread on that very discussion going on right now.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-and-Tarp

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I setup efficiently but am not rushed if that makes sense. All pretty much habit now.

Use hiking poles if you have em to quickly estimate tree distance. Things are a bit easier the more consistent the distance.

Not anything new but however you pack gear make sure the tarp, then hammock then UQ then TQ come out in that order. You can play around with leaving some things together - like the UQ on the hammock.

On the tarp... here’s a few ideas.
    I have shock cord on the doors and typically have the tarp packed in hex mode. I’m then only dealing with 4 stacks and tie outs. If it does rain, I can close the doors if needed pretty easily. There are other ways to do all this without shock cord - just the method I chose.
    For the guylines, I tie them to the stake with a marlin spike hitch. I generally avoid knots but that is a hard one to screw up. It ties in seconds and comes apart as quick. I also like a stiffer guyline that doesn’t tangle. I think I have some zline.
    I find snakeskins beneficial to help setup and take down speed. Easy to unroll or roll the tarp with the guylines. I personally still do some rolling of the tarp to separate the guylines a bit.
    When deploying the tarp.. I like to dial in the hammock first then setup the tarp. I use split lines on the tarp and know just how far the tarp needs to be deployed over the end of the hammock so I don’t have to recenter it constantly.

This won’t help you on the WBRR but for my gathered end hammocks, I mark the left shoulder of the UQ by coloring the cord lock orange with some nail polish. That way I put the same corner under my shoulder.

Course about the quickest dull setup I’ve seen is MedicineMan and his Airship.

Really we should have folks video themselves with different setups on how they do it efficiently. There was a similar thread years ago on hanging the hammock. It shouldn’t be a race - just a here’s how I do it type thing.

Practice aside, what should I consider - some particular suspension hardware? Or go with the Beckett hitch?
    You don't mention what kind of straps you're currently attaching your Whoopi's to.

I went with the spider straps myself, but found that the Becket hitch requires me to make a lot of tries to get my suspension right. Maybe I just need more practice.

If I were looking for a speedier setup for that aspect I would probably go with the Dutch Beetle buckles

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Zpacks Dyneema tar
    Insulation
    TQ-HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch susp
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Here a thread on that very discussion going on right now.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-and-Tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A quick answer is to dump the whoopies and make a ridge line cord. Imagine the timing in this (assuming trees far enough apart and small enough in diameter for your gear to work)…

On each tree, wrap a daisy chain (brand names like Python and Atas) around the tree and connect with Dutch Clip. Connect a daisy chain loop to a loop from the Ridge Runner Apex connector with a carabiner. Walk towards the other tree pulling the Ridge Runner out of the double end stuff sack. Connect to a daisy chain loop at that end the same way - with a ridge line (like 1.75mm cord) limiting the distance between Apex connectors so you will always have them at their best approximate distance.

Just clipping biners is faster than tying Marilin Spikes, milking buries, etc. Using a fixed ridge line gets you closer to the best distance without having to readjust a lot. The daisy chains usually have a 5 to 6 inch step and I carry a six inch loop I can double down to 3 inches and I add that if I want to make just a half step between loops.

Once the Ridge Runner is up with it’s spreader bars, the amount of additional adjustment is up to you - I’m guessing usual times run from “It’s good enough like it is.” to … all afternoon.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-31-2020 at 17:17.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Some great ideas here and in that other thread - thanks to everyone.

I am going to start with some snakeskins, and some dutchbling - specifically his biners, flyz and hookworms. And more practice.

I did practice napping today, and it was divine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would focus on getting your tarp up as quickly as possible. Once that’s done, both you and your gear can be out of the rain while you get organised.

Most people keep their tarps and associated gear on the outside of their pack to facilitate a quick setup.

And snakeskins and a continuous ridge line definitely make things easier and quicker.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    I would focus on getting your tarp up as quickly as possible. Once that’s done, both you and your gear can be out of the rain while you get organised.

Most people keep their tarps and associated gear on the outside of their pack to facilitate a quick setup.

And snakeskins and a continuous ridge line definitely make things easier and quicker.
    This. If it's raining, the tarp is the first thing up and the last thing down. It's the only thing I focus on for a quick setup. Otherwise, I just take my time setting up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast