Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    I keep them ALL attached together.
    when I'm prepping the pack up, I pull them out of the ground and clean as much dirt off as I can then let them dangle and dry out. Before I pack them up I make sure the stakes are dry and clean. as I'm pulling the snake skin over I stuff the stakes and lines in. when it's time to deploy it, as I pull the snakeskin back, the lines fall out with the stake still attached to it, ready to go.
    Interesting. Are you using separate sleeves, or a continuous one? I imagine that this method would work better with two sleeves meeting in the middle, rather than one long sleeve pulled end to end. Also, what is the material of the sleeve(s)...mesh or a solid fabric?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    If you're looking to increase your set up speed, then you need to remove as much variability as possible.

First always pack everything the same way so that you unpack it the same way.if you're the type that likes to roll up your gear then roll it up so that the head is on the outside and the foot is on the inside that way you're always unrolling from the head. Stuffing is the same way. If your stuffing into a stuff sack make sure that the head end is the last to go in. When you get to your campsite you're most likely going to be looking at it from the perspective of where your head will be when you lay down: What's going to be the view? when you pack them in your pack always pack them in the same order so the first thing you want out is the last thing to go in should be able to unpack and set up in the dark without a light just for memory and repetition. if your battery dies or your flashlight breaks you still need to be able to set up, that's even if it doesn't that way you're saving your battery for emergencies. this is not to say that you shouldn't be checking the trees for damage or ornery occupants before you choose to hang from it but that's a different topic.

Something that always changes is the distance between the trees, this means your hammock suspension is always going to be different lengths and at different heights. You're always going to want the tarp at the same height however, and this makes a good reference guide for when it comes time to put up your hammock.

I always put my tarp just a little above head height and my hammock suspension as far as my arms can reach at first. After I hook on the second Dutch clip I look back at my hammock and make a decision of whether I want to leave it or adjust the height. I can tell by how high off the ground the bottom of my sag is. If the trees are too far apart this might mean that I need to raise it up higher than I can reach at this point you have to make a decision whether you want to try and find closer together trees or figure out a way to reach higher. even with that until you actually sit in it you don't know where it's going to end up because everything will tighten up more once you put your weight in there.

Some people have trouble centering the tarp and that can slow you down. So here's the easiest way to center a tarp no matter what method of suspension that youre using:

Line up the first end of the tarp with the same end of the hammock dead even, and tighten the tarp suspension so that's where it stops. now go to the opposite end and pull it tight. note where the halfway point is between the hammock and the end of the tarp. slide the end of the tarp to there and tighten that end of the tarp suspension. Now there should be slack at the first end, when you go there and pull that tight the tarp should be mostly centered depending on how good your guesstimate was. it's a lot easier to see the center between two ends that are next to each other.

finally, practice off center setups. your normal everyday setup will go much faster once you have the understanding of the geometry involved and how it affects how high or low you need to put the suspension to get the effect you need. I've only ever had two do an off-center hang a few times but when you need it you need it and you don't want to spend forever trying to do it which inevitably your first time will. I don't really remember any of the circumstances I think maybe one time there was a tree stump at one end or a fallen log maybe a bush I didn't want to cut down that was interfering with the way that the hammock wood swing. in any case just 4 practice move your tarp off-center and then practice lining up your hammock underneath the tarp by moving where the suspension is on the tree to get your optimum hang. it doesn't take long for your brain to get the connection of how the geometry of one end of the hang affects the other end. specifically you'll notice that you'll have a really big triangle of suspension on one side and a really small one (or non-existent) on the opposite side. the proportion of the two will always correlate to each other.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Interesting. Are you using separate sleeves, or a continuous one? I imagine that this method would work better with two sleeves meeting in the middle, rather than one long sleeve pulled end to end. Also, what is the material of the sleeve(s)...mesh or a solid fabric?
    yes, the two end style. although the same thing will work with a stuff sack, making sure that the stakes go in last on top. when I used to do that I used to put them in a stuff sack of their own with most of the line stuffed in as well obviously you want to do it in a way that's not going to puncture the actual tarp or get things dirtier than they need to get.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    I keep them ALL attached together.
    when I'm prepping the pack up, I pull them out of the ground and clean as much dirt off as I can then let them dangle and dry out. Before I pack them up I make sure the stakes are dry and clean. as I'm pulling the snake skin over I stuff the stakes and lines in. when it's time to deploy it, as I pull the snakeskin back, the lines fall out with the stake still attached to it, ready to go.
    Nifty idea - I guess I'd be concerned about the stakes poking the tarp, but you've obviously got over that.

I do have one more trick: color coding the lines. The guy lines for either side of the tarp are different colors - makes it a bit easier and quicker to grab the right ones.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I do have one more trick: color coding the lines. The guy lines for either side of the tarp are different colors - makes it a bit easier and quicker to grab the right ones.
    That is a neat idea..

I use Reflective Z-Line.. only available in one color.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You’re talking tarps and hammock but eventually you’ll get down to the UQ. I was spending too much time (extra seconds!) finding the head end of my HG UQ. So I switched out a micro biner for the S-biner at that end. Now I quickly know which is the end head without having to look for the logo patch or geometry difference.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You’re talking tarps and hammock but eventually you’ll get down to the UQ.
    The Wookie UQ (designed for WBBBs, don’t know about how it goes for others) greatly reduces the complexity - and therefore time - it takes to deploy.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    It sounds like several folks here keep their tarp guy lines attached to their stakes, rather than to the lie tarps. Anyone do it the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do! I have a loop tied to the guys that are attached to the tarp with tensioner buckles. I just hang the ridgeline and then stake out the tarp by putting the string over the stake and pulling up the slack with the buckles.

https://flic.kr/p/2j8PJ3j

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    It sounds like several folks here keep their tarp guy lines attached to their stakes, rather than to the lie tarps. Anyone do it the other way around?
    I have my guy lines attached to the tarp using lineloc3's. The other end is a loop. I put the stake through the loop, adjust the length if somehow it's way off but usually I don't need to do anything. and poke the stake in the ground. Done. I may go around after the last stake is in and adjust tensioning if it's really necessary. I also like that I can re-tension the lines from within my tarp without having to go out in the rain.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Some tips:

1) Always place your gear in the same location in your pack so you don't spend time looking for something. You should be able to grab everything you need in the dark without looking.

2) Always place your gear in the order you need it, i.e., don't pull out your TQ until your hammock is set up. Only touch each piece of gear once. Everything you pull out should be immediately setup.

3) Color code choices. I use red and blue carabiners for the ends. Red == Head. That way I don't have to think and I never need to undo something I've done.

4) Try to hang the same distance. I've gotten really good at eyeballing it but i can verify the length by holding my poles out. Same distance means no adjustment.

5) Practice. It sounds stupid but the the more you setup and teardown, the quicker you will be at it.

6) Identify areas that are slowing you down. If you take a long time attaching lines to trees, look for a quicker solution even if it means a few more grams. I like whoopies but the RR straps and quicker to setup and adjust for me.

7) Don't pack everything in separate stuff sacks. It takes time to get things out and put them back. I've given up putting my pad in it's bag because it takes forever and is a PITA.

8) Consider what you need to setup and in what order. If it's not raining, do you really need to setup the tarp when you get to camp or can you set it up later. The time is the same but when separated it doesn't feel as long.

8) Identify simple solutions. If it takes 30 seconds to untangle your straps/lines, maybe use a hair tie or something else to control them. 5 seconds beats 30 seconds.

9) Don't unpack what you don't need. I'll leave my food and cook gear in the pack (or just dump it on the ground) because cooking comes after everything is setup for me.

10) Have somebody watch you setup. They can see where you may be taking more time than you think.

11) Don't worry about it. If it takes 5 minutes to setup or 15, it rarely makes a real difference and there's no need to stress about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast