Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If it were raining, the tarp would go up first. But if I were going for speed, I’d put the hammock up first because it’s easier for me to center the tarp just right when the hammock is ready up. And it’s easier to put the hammock up when not working under the tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    This. If it's raining, the tarp is the first thing up and the last thing down. It's the only thing I focus on for a quick setup. Otherwise, I just take my time setting up.
    Same here. Once the tarp is up, you have plenty of space and time. You can finish staking from underneath, then set up the hammock at your dry leisure.

It sounds like several folks here keep their tarp guy lines attached to their stakes, rather than to the lie tarps. Anyone do it the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Have 6 feet of Lawson Glowire 2mm attached to each tarp tieout. Each line has a loop for stakes created with a Blake's Hitch pre tied to each end to keep the tarp taut. Has worked out well in the field.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    It sounds like several folks here keep their tarp guy lines attached to their stakes, rather than to the lie tarps. Anyone do it the other way around?
    I've always left my lines attached to the tarp, and use whatever seems to fit the situation to tie to the stakes, usually a clove hitch, but also experimenting with tarp ticks & other bling.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I've always left my lines attached to the tarp, and use whatever seems to fit the situation to tie to the stakes, usually a clove hitch, but also experimenting with tarp ticks & other bling.
    I, too, always leave ridge/guy lines attached to tarps. Adding extra steps every time just doesn't fit into my calculus.

I've been using loops made with Blake's hitch for guy lines at the tarp end and MSH at the stake end, but I think I might give the clove hitch a try at the stakes. Quick to tie using the loop-behind-loop method, releases a tad easier when my shepherd hook stakes are pulled out.

For me, I would use bling if it made things any easier but I really don't see any advantage over the simple knots I'm using.

Back to the original question, however, if you want to get faster with setup the best way is to practice it over and over and suss out in your head what comes next when setting up so that muscle memory kicks in and the flow of motion is uninterrupted. Standing around trying to figure out what comes next is what slows down the process.

Another thing is to learn to recognize that perfection isn't necessary. Yes, there's 'unacceptable,' where the hammock is hanging too high or too low or the suspension angle is far too shallow or too steep or tarp is really interfering with the hammock suspension, but there's also 'plenny-good-enuf,' where things might be a bit off center or slightly skewed, but hangle/height is good and tarp is taut and coverage is adequate.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-02-2020 at 06:18.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Another vote for leaving lines attached. It takes a few extra pennies for the additional cordage, but my tarps have their own guy lines and ridge lines, each identical to the next. On rare occasion I swap something out to experiment, but that is really rare these days. It's all dialed in to the point that it just works well..so mess with it.

I can usually be up in a handful of minutes. This past weekend I spent an 'extra' few minutes because I decided to swap head to foot to avoid what looked like it might be poison ivy.

Practice! From start to finish. Over and over. That will expose the trouble spots in your routine. Be aware of how you break down as well, doing so with an eye on making the next setup more efficient. For instance, take care with ridge and guy lines to avoid tangles when breaking down.

I've switched all of my tarps to Lineloc V's & ZPacks 1.2 Z-Line with a Double Dragon eye in one end. Split ridge lines still prevail on my tarps, with a fig-8 + diamond knot splice at the tree end and mini ucrs at the tarp end. I've tried all kinds of gizmos and nothing is easier or more efficient for me. Stakes, straps, extra guy line, dog bones etc all go in a zippered DCF taco pouch. That thing is ingenious..

I hike with cmoulder a fair bit and once we've settled on a spot, we tend to be pretty close in the time it takes to setup even though we use very different setup strategies. I am a bit slower at breaking down.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    I am new to hammocks but not camping. Here is a video https://youtu.be/p0VGgTxc5ZE showing how to set up a hammock for quick deployment. He also has video discussing ridge-lines and the quick deployment of tarps. You might want to watch and see if you can glean anything...
    Last edited by Double E; 06-02-2020 at 07:04. Reason: spelling error

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have the RR. Ordered it with straps. Added Nano beaners to the ends. Just sling around tree & hook. Very quick to adjust. Continous ridgeline of amsteel with mini beaner on one side, small 9 on prusset on other end. Prusset with hooks on each end to attach & center tarp. The tie outs stay attached to tarp with a piece of shock cord tied in so once staked there's no readjustment. Hammock up first unless raining.

For me the straps & buckles are a lot faster & more versatile than whoopies with way less fiddle factor. Tried whoopies, made whoopies & have them still on a couple hammocks because I haven't had time to change them.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I keep them ALL attached together.
    when I'm prepping the pack up, I pull them out of the ground and clean as much dirt off as I can then let them dangle and dry out. Before I pack them up I make sure the stakes are dry and clean. as I'm pulling the snake skin over I stuff the stakes and lines in. when it's time to deploy it, as I pull the snakeskin back, the lines fall out with the stake still attached to it, ready to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast