one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Mini UCRs on split ridge lines for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are your UCR's the same size line as your RL, or do you use a smaller line like I hear you should for prussics?

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Mini UCRs on split ridge lines for me.

Do you leave the UCR‘s connected to the tarp all the time and hang it as one unit or do you have some kind of quick connection to the tarp end?

i would definitely advise against the taut line/rolling hitch or similar, for that purpose, with zingit. it might seem to hold fine at very light loads (which will seem fine, because the loads on a tarp are typically light compared to what zingit can withstand), but in gusty wind or such you will have them slide, and if the slide fast enough, they will melt the dyneema.

best would be to use a separate friction hitch, made out of thinner line than the zingit (which doesn't have to be dyneema, in fact even better if it is nylon or such). i would do this on both sides of the tarp to make centering the tarp over the hammock easy. my favourite way to do this is with a VT (valdotain tresse) with a tending loop attached to it or integrated, as briefly shown here (in this case it's at the corner of the tarp, but it works the same way at the ridgeline tieout)

if you feel the VT is a bit too complicated, or want something more compact, i recommend blake's hitch as a good "compact" alternative. many people use the prusik for that, i would advise against that (the prusik is great, but the wrong tool for the job here). the farrimond is definitely great to know as it comes in handy, and is quite unique, but i would not use it for this particular purpose, it's better to have something like above attached to the tarp and which doesn't need to be re-tied every time you setup, but just stays there (i keep mine attached to the guy line/ridge line, and attach them to the tarp like a softshackle, which makes things very modular)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Are your UCR's the same size line as your RL, or do you use a smaller line like I hear you should for prussics?
    Zingit on Zingit.
    I have yet to have one slip on three tarps and countless times setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    Do you leave the UCR‘s connected to the tarp all the time and hang it as one unit or do you have some kind of quick connection to the tarp end?

Initially I had what was, admittedly, an over-engineered system of diamond knots spliced on the tarp ridgeline rings, captured by an eye spliced into the end of the ucr. The eyes had blocked whipping knot sliders that would lock onto the diamond knots. Worked fine and was removable.

The current iteration omits the diamond knots and eyes are now tied into the end of the ucr rather than spliced. The slider is omitted as well. I simply girth hitch the eye through the tarps split ring. These changes simplified things. The eye splice's bury limited how short the entire ucr could be and going to a simple double diamond eye shortened the minimum tree distance by almost 3" because the eye splice's bury was omitted.

While modular was cool, it's easier to have a set of RLs left attached to each tarp.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound352 View Post
    I really like the adjustable grip hitch over the taut line hitch. It seems to hold better in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwG4u57Hgdo
    I've tried many, and in almost 60 years have found none better or more reliable, regardless of cordage. However, today I often use SS Loop Aliens instead. I like them, they are certain, quick, and no problems with frozen rain overnight as with prussiks and other sliding hitches including this one. Loop Aliens' line hookups have been greatly improved since earlier years by Jeff Myers' methods.
    Loop Aliens At Their Best. Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlIiNLg9L4

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123