Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound352 View Post
    I really like the adjustable grip hitch over the taut line hitch. It seems to hold better in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwG4u57Hgdo
    Depends on the cord. A good jacketed polyester braided cord works better for almost any knot (especially friction knots) compared to Zing-it, Amsteel etc.

I've had excellent results with Midshimpman's (variation of tautline), Grip hitch, Farrimond and anything else imaginable using Lawson Glowire and Guywire with very few wraps. Farrimond is really nice because it is an 'exploding' hitch when released... zero reeving (feeding line thru loops).
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    What's a good knot to use to tie lash it to dutch stingers
    I only know a few knots, bowling being one

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post

Nothing wrong with bowline, but if you want something simple that snugs right up to the little eye consider a buntline hitch.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    As a scoutmaster, I’m a fan of a taut line, though primarily for guy lines. With UHMWPE cordage like Amsteel or Zing it, it’s hard to get friction knots to hold well, though. I usually use loop aliens, but when I’m using knots I like a trucker’s hitch one one end for tension and just two half hitches on the other. If you do really like a taut line hitch, remember that there’s no rule against putting a few extra loops in when you’re using really slick synthetic cordage. If I’m using prussik loops instead of Nama claws, I usually put a *lot* of loops in the knot to hold on zing-it. Also, if you want to learn more knots (they’re always free, and don’t weigh anything), I recommend the app Knots 3-D. It’s gotten a lot of scouts to First Class :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images

Why wouldn't you just splice lash it to the stinger? Isn't the point of the hardware to eliminate knots?? If you want to be able to remove the line, splice a fixed loop and larkshead it on.

Senior Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Wooki, DB
    Suspension
    UCR, Dynaweave

Bowline will hold fine but I agree that splicing will be much cleaner and better looking and also provide a stronger connection.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Split ridgeline knots - do you trust a taut line hitch?

Grog Knots app Animated Knots by Grog shows both tautline hitch and midshipman’s hitch. There are subtle differences. There is an information section with each knot.
    It says that Boy Scout Handbook originally had tautline hitch tied like a midshipman’s hitch up until 1948. Then later editions of Boy Scout Handbook had tautline hitch in a less secure version. Those subtle differences make tautline hitch much more prone to slipping. That’s bad news for a slip and grip style hitch!
    It goes on to say, it is hoped that Boy Scouts will teach the midshipman’s hitch instead of tautline hitch.
    When I was a young scout, I learned tautline hitch in less secure version as taught in Boy Scout Handbook in 1960’s. With my out to lunch capabilities, I no longer tie either of the two aforementioned hitches. I’m afraid my memory will cause me to tie hitch wrong way!

Now I tie Farrimond Friction Hitch, a new knot first tied by British actor and radio personality Barry Farrimond in 2008. Thank you Barry Farrimond!
    Farrimond Friction Hitch is the Only slip and grip hitch that is tied in the bight. That is it can be tied in “middle” of rope with no need to fish each coil through entire knot. I usually apply 5 or 6 wraps, since it’s tied in bight, this yields 10 to 12 coils. This holds zingit very well. It should be carefully and thoroughly tightened.
    Farrimond Friction Hitch is only slip and grip hitch that is “exploding” that is—when you pull the rip cord (loose end) entire knot disappears. No other slip and grip knot can be untied by pulling the ripcord! With practice can tie very fast—remember each wrap yields two coils!
    I demonstrate Farrimond Friction Hitch on YouTube David Hughes Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties part two about 3 minutes in

Farrimond Friction Hitch my first choice
    Midshipman’s hitch my second choice
    And I’d skip tautline hitch altogether!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-09-2020 at 14:40.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Grog Knots app Animated Knots by Grog shows both tautline hitch and midshipman’s hitch. There are subtle differences. There is an information section with each knot.
    It says that Boy Scout Handbook originally had tautline hitch tied like a midshipman’s hitch up until 1948. Then later editions of Boy Scout Handbook had tautline hitch in a less secure version. Those subtle differences make tautline hitch much more prone to slipping. That’s bad news for a slip and grip style hitch!
    It goes on to say, it is hoped that Boy Scouts will teach the midshipman’s hitch instead of tautline hitch.
    When I was a young scout, I learned tautline hitch in less secure version as taught in Boy Scout Handbook in 1960’s. With my out to lunch capabilities, I no longer tie either of the two aforementioned hitches. I’m afraid my memory will cause me to tie hitch wrong way!

Now I tie Farrimond Friction Hitch, a new knot first tied by British actor and radio personality Barry Farrimond in 2008. Thank you Barry Farrimond!
    Farrimond Friction Hitch is the Only slip and grip hitch that is tied in the bight. That is it can be tied in “middle” of rope with no need to fish each coil through entire knot. I usually apply 5 or 6 wraps, since it’s tied in bight, this yields 10 to 12 coils. This holds zingit very well. It should be carefully and thoroughly tightened.
    Farrimond Friction Hitch is only slip and grip hitch that is “exploding” that is—when you pull the rip cord (loose end) entire knot disappears. No other slip and grip knot can be untied by pulling the ripcord! With practice can tie very fast—remember each wrap yields two coils!
    I demonstrate Farrimond Friction Hitch on YouTube David Hughes Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties part one or part two

Farrimond Friction Hitch my first choice
    Midshipman’s hitch my second choice
    And I’d skip tautline hitch altogether!
    Totally concur. Only reason I don't use Farrimond is because Midshipman's holds great with Glowire/Guywire!

Midshipmans vs Tautline... one other advantage with Midshipman's is that all the wraps go in the same direction.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Cmoulder, I know you right. Great minds think alike. Now if I could just manage my life as easily as I tie my shoes. Sometimes my out to lunch capabilities catch up with me...Lol

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Mini UCRs on split ridge lines for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast